Official BIONICLE: Journey to One Discussion Topic

So I started translating some of the Okotan text in JTO, and I found something pretty nice. LEGO put in a message dedicated to the fans:

Based off of this, I think it’s safe to assume that it says "Thank you for supporting BIONICLE." Daw, you’re welcome Lego. :blush:

Also, in case you were wondering, the box that Umarak holds says “MUP” (presumably an abbreviation of “Mask of Ultimate Power”…so it’s not the MOUP, it’s the MUP. :stuck_out_tongue: )

EDIT: This text reads "And together they will bring peace and freedom to all…". I find this interesting, because we’ve never heard this before. Everything else on the wall is a line from the Prophecy of Heroes, except for this.

24 Likes

Have you forgotten the fact that Jaller was willing to use AND started to initiate a Nova Blast?

Also, this seems appropriate.

3 Likes

So, now that we’ve had some time to absorb the recent news, I think we can start discussing the episodes themselves in more depth. I’ll throw out a bit for us to get started:

Anyone notice how the flashback sequence in “The Dark Portal” has the sequence shown in GN #2, where Makuta makes the tree-growing/tree-burning masks and has the gardener use them? I think that’s a neat bit of continuity…

8 Likes

I want to build Makuta’s Mask Maker form, it looks way different from Ekimu’s build.

3 Likes

I did. That was really cool, even if it wasn’t exact.

1 Like

what really gets to me is that Makuta seemingly already had the prophecy written in stone in his realm. Did he just choose not to believe it and try to stop fate just because? Gali just said “I just have to be there when it happens!” to fulfill her destiny. Literally all Makuta had to do was NOT do what he did so soon (i.e. what the prophecy foretells), and come up with an alternate plan.

8 Likes

wow…Makuta was EVEN MORE USELESS. Geez he sucked

5 Likes

Honestly, I think the episodes themselves were spectacular. The darker tone was very fitting, and I like that this season took itself a bit more seriously…but not too seriously. There was a lot of great humor in this like Lewa getting triggered every time someone said “That was easy”.

I just wish we got some dialogue between Ekimu and Makuta…even a single line would’ve sufficed. But here’s a fun fact–outside of Graphic Novel 2, Ekimu and Makuta have never been seen speaking to each other. Kinda ridiculous, given their relationship was literally the driving force between the whole story…

BTW, did anyone notice that when the Toa sacrificed themselves, the beams of elemental energy were shooting out of their Nuva symbols? Just a neat detail I noticed.

8 Likes

Literally every Toa in the story did something extremely stupid in G2.

Tahu in Graphic Novel one tried to take on a hoard of skull spiders by himself.

Onua and Lewa charged at the skull villains and got their masks stolen

Pohatu did not want to Unite with Ketar and then Umarak stole him.

Kopaka slipped

And Gali literally told the other Toa how to defeat Makuta WHILE HE IS RIGHT BEHIND HER!

9 Likes

The story felt really rushed with mostly unnecesarry and stupid dialogues and moments. Like when Pohatu kisses his “muscles” on his arm. Or how the Toa tried to get Umarak’s attention to fight with them but at least they kept trying which I appreciated. Ekimu’s Toa of light “line” almost made me skocked, luckily he admitted he is not the real one! But I loved Agip! I wonder where it came from, perhaps also from another planet or maybe it actually born on Okoto. If Only Bingzak would have found the Mask Of Light… I really liked how Gali is the “Choosen one” I felt like she was really smart to understand things right and really guys, there was no time now to change their Destiny as th whole fate of Okoto layed on it, the Toa did the right thing and Gali had no better time to explain it to the others because Makuta was about to get out of the portal right after Gali. The ending was beautiful and how the Toa all realized how they were th ones who actually feed the planets with elemental energy was really cool! And how they gave out all their elemental essence towards Makuta to send him back to the Shadow realm, really reminded me to the scene in Gen 1 where the Toa Mata faced Makuta the first time in his lair. We missed this line here "You cannot destoy me, for I am nothing.

3 Likes

His logic was based on Ekimu not telling the Toa the Prophecy, as was the Mask Makers’ Code. From what I saw, the writings never explicitly stated that Gali would be taken into the Shadow Realm, just that she would have to go there. Makuta must have read this as her discovering her role on her own, so he assumed that since Ekimu would not tell, the Toa would never learn the Prophecy, because they wouldn’t find the writings in time. He was stupid, yes, but evil is as evil does…

7 Likes

You can tell that, that part is where the writing was changed, and it really comes off as forced.

4 Likes

You’re probably right…but for necessity’s sake it works. If there was another year of JtO, we’d likely have a better climax.

The whole idea of Gali going into the Shadow Realm was likely a last minute thing. It seemed like they needed a way for the Toa to learn their destiny quickly so they could wrap up the story. Maybe they didn’t choose the most elegant route, but it worked when they needed it to, and they were probably on a tight schedule. I suspect that if 2017 was still on, Makuta would’ve emerged at the end of Season 2, leaving a cliffhanger for next year, but all things considered, I think they tied it up neatly.

6 Likes

Okey, I will get very emotional about this thing. Because for one - It was a great way to end G2 and for two - It was so nostalgic to me thanks to the reasons below in spoiler tag.

Alright, so first things first, I think that Ekimu’s transformation was utterly uncalled for, but worked well - given the plot. Everything else felt better than any of the other Bionicle movies. It had them feels, what can I say, I’m a sucker for references. It got me hooked on the nostalgia of the first movie. Perhaps the most amazing part is when Izotor says the famous words of Turaga Vakama “This is the legend of BIONICLE.” Shortly followed by the sacrifice of the Toa, realizing their destiny and claiming the three virtues. Not only that, but I cannot express my happiness that they had a character die on screen (AKA Umarak and presumably the Toa.) Third favorite moment of mine is when they Introduced Light as a canon element and that is followed by the flashback of the Island’s destruction at my number 4 most favorite moment.
I think G1 deserved this kind of ending, pity it never came to be.
I’m also glad that JtO part 2 took darker twist to the otherwise cheerful G2. It might not be the edgelord stuff of 2004 + with no cryoshell…but hey, it was good enough.

7 Likes

Guys, I just noticed something:

Ekimu, S1E2

“That is Umarak, the Hunter. He is an ancient one.”

Umarak, S2E2

“It is OVER! Ancient one…”

Neat.

12 Likes

To be honest I think I liked the Mirimax movies better than JtO. I also liked season 1 better than season 2.

2 Likes

The Mirimax movies were amazing. I think they take themselves way more seriously than TLR or JtO does.

3 Likes

Did Umarak know Ekimu called him that by listening through the shadows? He says it back to Ekimu in such a mockingly peeved voice that one can only assume that he had heard him say that somehow. I guess Umarak really didn’t like being called old. XD

6 Likes

I think they had better dialogue and voice acting than JtO. The voice acting for Journey to One it was a little…iffy… mostly for Umarak the Destroyer and Gali at times.