Official BIONICLE: Journey to One Discussion Topic

I think that it was actually meant to be symbolic. When they said “we are the elements”, I think it was implying that they’re actually a totally different species from the Okotans on an anatomical level. Okotans need masks to use elemental powers, but Gali finds out that her group of Toa is different, they can use elemental powers from within.

I can’t help but think that the story bible might have pointed towards a subtle connection between G1 and G2, and that the seeds were buried but never had a chance to grow because of the premature cancellation of the theme.

It might be that Okoto was a civilization started by the Toa long after Spherus Magna was brought to peace, and that the Toa were acting as “gods” of sorts, watching over and coming down to help whenever called by the Okotans. It also makes sense that the Okotans weren’t call happy whenever a threat arrived. They didn’t want to bother the Toa unless the situation would get really bad. Onua also makes some interesting conjecture when he says “or maybe we have something to do with them” when referring to the maze and its creators. This helps support the idea that maybe the Toa helped build up Okotan society. Perhaps the second half of the Vahi could be explained with this hypothesis as well. The Mask of Time was almost impossible to use in G1. If G2 was placed in the far future after the events of G1’s end, it’s completely plausible that a second half could have been made for the original Vahi in order to make it actually work correctly without side effects (so that it would actually be somewhat useful).

Of course, that’s all just wild conjecture. Although, if it were true it’d feel pretty nice to know that the Toa Mata were still doing things and exploring space, learning more about it and even setting up colonies.

5 Likes

@Tarvaax while i don’t agree with the G1 refrence, i do agree with the idea that the toa would have been on Okoto before and thus have a connection to their ancestors.

but to me personaly, i like to think that G2 is ither a different story in an alternate dimension… or an alternate timeline, like a “what if Teridax had not caused the cataclysem and put Mata Nui in a coma” sort of reality, would probably explain why G2 Makuta named himself Makuta, given that before Teridax rule, they were not trully evil (at first anyway), so it might have been a “Beast Wars” Megatron thing, like he named himself after someone or something of great importance.

Hey, you gave me an idea!

21 Likes

So Makuta wasn’t banished to the shadow realm. he was banish to the world of Windows XP.

7 Likes

A fate worse than eternal purgatory.

9 Likes

you know, after thinking about it… i think my idea that Makuta named himself after the Makuta species might hold some truth to it if this have some connection to the Matoran Universe, heck it makes his quote of: "Today i will take my rightful place among the gods" even more interesting, because think of it like this… What if Makuta’s goal, was to become like the ones he had named himself after, a Makuta.

1 Like

You know I’m surprised that the writer didn’t say “Great Beings” instead of gods. That way they wouldn’t offend anyone. And also who are these gods?

1 Like

actualy, saying “Today i will take my rightful place among the great beings” does not make much sence, and it would be a G1 refrence… that would also not make much sence.

and really, how would saying gods offend anyone?

on the matter of who these gods are, we don’t know. At best its a common villain quote that many villains say to show how high they think of themself, that it have reached a point where in they belive themself to be as powerful as a god.

Not like Journey to One made any out of place G1 references. Cough cough Toa of Light cough cough.

5 Likes

Biggest nitpick of the series:

Tahu: We need to fight them off!
15-second silence without music
Lewa: Yeah, let’s fight these guys!

Come on VOLTA…really?

9 Likes

Either they’re just lazy or they were rushed.

Rushed. That gets my vote.

7 Likes

Rushed because they only had a year and bit to do everything.

1 Like

I re-watched JTO, and I must say that as terrible as the episodes were, the ending is still amazing IMO.

Like, I get chills if I only watch the Toa vs Makuta scene. If this conclusion were put at the end of a much better series, it honestly would’ve been good. Heck, this could’ve been a great ending for 2003 (if BIONICLE had ended then.)

The rest of the series is mediocre, but the ending–on its own–almost perfect. Such a shame…

5 Likes

My opinion is the exact opposite. XD

4 Likes

My opinion is different from both of yours. I thought it was mediocre (if I am being generous) and that the ending was a disappointing train-wreak of a scene.

Eh, I enjoyed it despite its flaws and thought it was pretty cool overall.

2 Likes

I hated the series.

It had so much potential. It could’ve been full-length, spanning the entirety of G2. It could’ve been mature enough to appeal to G1 fans and new fans alike! But noooo. It was a short, rushed, cheesy mess. There were a few bright spots, such as some of Ekimu’s dialogue (, and the whole idea of the Toa sacrificing themselves to defeat Makuta. I thought that was cool. However, the dumbed-down nature of JtO made it crash and burn in my opinion.

Cheesy dialogue? Check. Errors in the script? (see episode 1: "The Protectors can handle the Skull Warriors; we’ll take the Skull Spiders!) Check. Character inconsistency and lack of development? Check. (Pohatu getting over his contrived hatred of Ketar doesn’t count.) The series being essentially unfinished? CHECK!

I think the lack of character development is what I hated the most about JtO, and about G2 as a whole. For instance, why did Pohatu hate scorpions so much? And just who were the villains? Why does Umarak hate being Makuta’s minion, while the Skulls are more willing? Speaking of which, what’s their story? Why did they invade Okoto in the first place? Also, what’s the significance of the Labyrinth of Control? So many questions left unanswered… what a shame. G2 feels like a cardboard cutout, it’s so flat.

I guess that’s what happens when you expect anything of a toy-based storyline these days.

I’m sorry that I’m being so negative.

8 Likes

I don’t know, to me it’s definitely nothing to get so angry about. It’s definitely not worth rewatching, but I don’t remember it being that bad.

3 Likes

For me personally, the last two episodes just reminded me a lot of LOTR and how if they actually ripped off LOTR more, JtO would be all the better :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes