On the Run

“Where we need to go to fight the government”

“Oh. Uhh… huh.”

“Eh. We might as well get this party started.”

Gerald walked into the room and sat down. He watched the others talk. He saw the announcement and knew that they were talking about it.

“Listen, Vlad, you don’t have to give anything to KFC, but we need to go to KFC”

“Where you’re surrounded by people,” Lauren drawls. “Well you guys have fun with that. If you need me, I’ll be at the park.” She slips her headphones over her ears and leaves the room, her shadow waving to Felix as it passes through the door.

He waves back at the shadow.

Lance toyed with his fingers, each one becoming a small blade, “I don’t understand the problem her, being a weapon can’t be to difficult.” He thinks aloud to himself

Felix looks him dead in the eye. “They’re going to treat us not as people, but as tools. They might abandon us as soon as we’re ‘obsolete,’ and until then, we’re at the whims of shifting power that might make us attack Russia one day, our own civilians the next.” He says, anger apparent through his near monotony.

With complete apathy he asked “and the problem is?”

He stands up, chair almost falling over. “That some of us value our lives as people. I don’t know about you, but I’m sure most of us have the self-worth to see ourselves as more than some government’s property.”

“I didn’t understand your frustration.”

“Hey hey hey, where are you going?!” Will shouted getting up to follow Lauren. “Listen we need to stick together. We may be the only people that think being used as a weapon is bad.”

“Saying it out loud makes it sound kinda dumb, heh.”

“I don’t think its bad.”

“And yet I still have no idea why.” Felix says to him. “How you can be okay with being treated as less than human.”

“I’d do anything for my motherland.” He does puts a hand across his heart.

“What has the motherland done for you.” Felix asks simply. “Except call you a freak and send you to a school to train your ‘freaky’ nature to hurt anyone who stands in the way of their iron fist.”

“Uh. I actually went here so I could get training to fight so uh… They haven’t really called me a freak. I mean my ability is an almost perfect representation of our ideals.”

“Stupid, this is a US institution! Why would they flipping send you to fight for your country!?”