Oomatu Art: Rahi Concepts Megathread

Hello everyone!

After my recent poll on what everyone would like to se next from me, I took a little time to start digging into some Rahi concepts. Instead of having threads for each Rahi, I’m going to use this one thread for all concepts and discussion. Keep and eye out for [EDITS] to see newer artworks and ideas.

For the first round I stuck with pretty basic sketches of well known Rahi. What do you think of this style, like it or no? What other Rahi would you like to see? Comment below!

120 Likes

love your design for them

http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/dc/350x700px-LL-dc018e2c_iuXnKvwKtuqNq.gif

though the Tarakava one looks kind of like something from those old LEGO creator X-pod sets

9 Likes

Well, I’ve already said some things on discord but:

Nui-Rama and Tarakava: beautiful adaptations, absolutely perfect.

Kane-Ra: love the giant tire, great replacement for the treads.

Muaka: where’s your tardis? You need it to alter Canon.

Kraawa, Frost Beetle, Ghekula #obscurerahiareobscure

Kraawa: looks like a T-Rex crossed with a Dodo. I love it.

Ghekula: KAWAII!

Frost Beetle: “Get back! I cut you!”

7 Likes

These are probably my favorite pieces of art you’ve shown here, Oomy. My personal favorite is the Kane-Ra, and how you achieved the back rolly-thing.

3 Likes

I’m gonna steal this

3 Likes

Sure. As long as you from now on call me Jeddy.

1 Like

I’d love to see these as sets.

1 Like

These are fantastic. I love how much more colorful they are in comparison to how they appear in G1, particularly the Nui Rama and the Kane Ra.

1 Like

These look awesome, nice work :+1:

1 Like

These are beautiful. I’d be elated to see these in an actual set. I only have a few criticisms:
-The Tarakava doesn’t seem to have a tail. I just find that odd for a lizard.
-The Kane-Ra’s wheel feels a bit out of place in relation to the other Rahi, which all have legs.
-The OG Gehekula was supposed to be a frog. This one feels more like a turtle with tusks. Not that that isn’t cool or reasonable for G3, it’s just a deviation from the original Rahi that comes off as odd when the rest are so faithful to the originals.
-The Frost Beetle is actually perfection; I just find it odd that all the others have these fancy made-up names from G1 and then this guy’s just “frost beetle.” Just a minor gripe, nothing really significant. Also, it kinda looks like he’s got 7 limbs, but maybe oen’s just hidden from view?

I’d say these are good enough to warrant their own podcast episode. Can’t wait to see what else you produce.

5 Likes

To be fair, everything he’s done thus far have warranted their own podcast episode.

4 Likes

I really like these designs.

2 Likes

These look great. Some of them look adorable.

1 Like

nice zords bro

But srsly, I love these. That Kane-Ra with its wheel rear looks especially nice, and I like that the Tarakava looks fairly reptilian. I could totally see the minifig Toa taming and riding some these dudes.

1 Like

All of these are absolutely fantastic!

The only thing that I think there should be more of is mechanical components; for most of these it could be accomplished with stickers, but things like pistons, gears(?), etc. would help keep the creatures looking bio-mechanical and Bionicle-centric.

On that note, I especially like the Kane-Ra with the huge tire in place of hind legs. :smiley: Very unique, just like the original one and its concept.

2 Likes

Honestly I have to complain these are way too small, which makes them less intimidating than I’d like, but also makes them look really derpy, especially that tarakava, it just looks awful,
also, getting rid of the tracks for all but one of the rahi makes the kane ra look completely unrelated to the others.
So yeah, not satisfied with these personally.

You spelled muaka wrong, otherwise nice drawings.

2 Likes

Oh lol. Totally missed that.

1 Like

well now I feel bad.

I’m more impressed by that than anything, to be honest it’s mostly the muaka tarakava and Kane ra I take issue with, I think having both bigger-than-toa-but-smaller-than-other-rahi sized rahi as well as massive beasts would work out the best, so rahi like the nui rama and frost beetle (and ussal crabs) would be at the scale you’ve drawn them, whereas the others are much larger.

I hope I didn’t come across too harsh, I seem to have a knack for that, your concept art has been really well done, and I don’t want to come across as that jerk who complains about everything.

Hey it’s ok. People like you keep me on my toes. I’ll delete that comment, it’s not fair for me to criticize you for being honest.

1 Like