[OPINION] Has Greg Farshtey been good for the community?

This is something I see people having very differing opinions so, has Greg Farshtey been good for the community?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I Personally thing Greg is a very nice, Gracious man, who has put up with a lot over the years, and has been very good for us.

But, please, explain your opinion.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure Greg is a good man, thinking of all the effort he has put in his writing over the years. Yes, there are things that angered the community like the ā€œLove is not canonā€ but I believe we canā€™t blame him as ā€˜badā€™ for the community, just for these things.

3 Likes

I agree. and I think he did well in satisfying us with the example you gave, where that, it doesnā€™t exist, because they have no frame of reference, but they could learn on Spherus Magna.

2 Likes

Heā€™s been very gregarious on the Message Boards!

Iā€™m sorry

7 Likes

:middle_finger:

1 Like

Gregā€™s a pretty cool guy, and i love his comic work.

Plus heā€™s always answering questions here.

2 Likes

I believe that was somewhat changed/better explained later, no? Coulda sworn there was an ā€˜ask gregā€™ question somewhere or other in there.

2 Likes

Somewhere he said that they could learn to love while on Spherus Magna.

2 Likes

Ja, that. Fairly certain he canonized that somwhere. Sure, he explained it wouldnā€™t be the same kind such as us would be used to, but it would be a close enough equivalent for a mostly robotic species, and it made sense that they wouldnā€™t really have any way to identify said feelings (much less fully recognize them) until they met a species that actually had the compulsions needed to do so, and had done so.
Especially when they were both mainly focused on staying alive/safe, and doing their assigned work/tasks to keep the GSR going.

Along with that the reasoningā€™s he later gave behind saying it wasnā€™t canon were fair points, though he could have extrapolated on these points when heā€™d first been asked the question it wouldā€™ve prevented a lot of the future hassle the debates from it caused. (Though it did generate some good meme art/Mocs.)

I will say that Greg, in my opinion, has been rather good for the community. Yes he has hisā€¦ faults, and areas of lack, but beyond that what heā€™s doing more than makes up for

The fact heā€™s remained as dedicated as he has, from telling us of the future plans he knew of, to actually taking the time to answer our questions, further canonize lore, and even listen to our reasoning behind these requests/questions of potentially confirmed canon, for, whatā€™s really something he could drop at any time and suffer no repercussions from, is amazing in itself.

2 Likes

Well said. Greg is a human being, an as such is flawed, but all in all, heā€™s been good for us.

2 Likes

Greg is an awesome guy. I have never seen anyone else that is interacting with the community so much, even though he hasnā€™t been working on Bionicle for more than a decade.

2 Likes

Yes. We are very lucky to be so close to the source of our content. No other fandom has that.

2 Likes

Great point. Whenever we have questions or anything, we can ask one of the creators, and he still cares, despite the fact that he isnā€™t working on it anymore.

1 Like

Exactly, Star wars fans canā€™t just go up and ask Lucas, or JJ Abrahms why they did something. Star Trek fans canā€™t go out and ask Gene Roddenberry why he did something.

1 Like

As others have said, Iā€™m sure Greg is a good guy, but Iā€™m not doing the poll because itā€™s a bit pointless. Iā€™m not gonna say the guy has been bad for the community, he wrote most of the story we all love. But I also donā€™t agree with a lot of his choices, and especially from the end of Bionicle to now I honestly think sometimes Greg just caves to our demands and questions just to please us.

In other words I think he canonizes things just because we want him to. I donā€™t even know if heā€™s aware of the high pedestal we all have put him up on, and how much power we think we wields (donā€™t fool yourselves, Greg is not the end-all-be-all of Bionicle. His word, unless itā€™s on something he already had plans for, is just as good as ours at this point).

But yea, he was good to us, he still continues to engage when he can, I just think he can kind of be a little careless at times with what he chooses to make canon.

4 Likes

I wonā€™t argue there. Itā€™s just, that Iā€™ve been seeing several people (who will go unnamed) that seem to blame Greg for everything. Not here, but in other places. Maybe the poll was a little pointless, but I just wanted to get a good gauge of things.

4 Likes

He undoubtedly has beenā€¦

And I say this as someone who occasionally gets frustrated with the specificity and irrelevance of some of the questions heā€™s asked. The thing is, those are fan issues, not issues with Greg himself. While there may be a debate about how detailed the BIONICLE canon should beā€“and how expanding it potentially limits fan creativityā€“I donā€™t think anyone can debate how valuable Greg has been to this community. His generosity and graciousness in finding continuous ways to give up his time to answer our questions speaks to his great love for BIONICLE, and to his respect for us as fans. Very few fanbases have authority figures in their canons that are as available and open to questions as Greg is to usā€“we are extremely lucky to have someone like him in our community.

3 Likes

I mean. Greg Farshtey wrote a lot of the story we all know and love. Obviously thatā€™s monumental to the BIONICLE community.

A lot of the things that got canonized in the later years felt restrictive, like the ban on romance, but that lā€™s a minor upset to what heā€™s done for the franchise IMO. We also got him carrying on the story, at least for a little bit; and throwing in curveballs like Velika and the Red Star.

3 Likes

lol now I wish I pressed no to be that one jerk

Why is this even a question?

5 Likes