Overwatch

Just imagine what a monster she’ll be with Mei and Ana on the same team. I get chills.

Looking over abilities, I predict she will be squishy, with not a lot of damage.

We can only hope…

Lore vid as well.

They probably wouldn’t put her in offense if she didn’t shred people with that machine pistol of hers(though I could always be mistaken).

2 Likes

That could be rather scary…

Just from her abilities alone, she could turn out to be a formidable threat. If I can actually play her well, I may just have a new main…

What’s that? Her abilities are fairly standard and absolutely nothing innovative or insane? Wow! Color me unsurprised. With all the hype going around for a stealth hero, I knew she wasn’t going to be anything crazy. I mean, there are only so many ways to have a stealth ability in a shooter, and the industry has pretty much done everything imaginable already. What’s her crazy super awesome special gimmick? Oh, she has a stun. That’s it, it’s an AoE stun. Y’know, like all of the other stuns that already exist in the game. It’s cool that it breaks barriers, except that only matters in the case of Winston because Reinhardt drops his barrier when he gets stunned anyway. Oh well, rendering health kits useless to enemies is interesting. It’s not likely to be useful in any meaningful way considering the fact that healers exist and most flanking characters have a means of self-healing (Tracer and Reaper specifically). Maybe it was all the hype built up around her, but Sombra is actually less interesting to me than most of the other characters in OverWatch. Honestly, playing stealthy Bastion is probly going to be more effective than playing Sombra, especially because of how the map design encourages short sightlines and lots of flanking routes you can take without being seen, with or without a stealth ability. I’m not saying she’ll be bad, we don’t know any of her stats yet, but I can definitely say that the Spy from TF2, Infiltrators from Tribes: Ascend, and honestly, even Skye from Paladins, look more interesting and fun to play than Sombra does.

No she doesn’t.

This is taken directly from this page: Overwatch 2 - Heroes - Sombra

Does that say anything about a stun to you?

I’m sorry, it’s a silence, not a stun. Technically less useful. I misread what “hack” does. It doesn’t change anything about the rest of her design being fairly bland and uninteresting.

1 Like

Ay caramba…
I don’t know how to feel about Sombra, but I’m moreso leaning towards disliking her.

After watching the Stylosa gameplay, I see her being very useful in competitive. Her ability to see enemies below half health through walls as well as if enemies have ult or not is going to be a game-changer.

1 Like

There we go, a useful ability. Her kit as its shown on the site makes her look pitifully weak. This, combined with a fair amount of mobility and decent burst damage, will potentially make her almost as good as Genji. I still think she would be better off if Blizzard committed to the utility/support side of her instead of shoehorning her into the damage category (a crowded category as is. By the way, when are we getting another tank or defense character?)

I’ve gotta believe we’ll get Doomfist at some point and my guess is he’d be a tank.

1 Like

I’d much rather get another tank or defense character than get yet another offense character. It’s already the largest category, and that gives off the misconception that you should have more of them on your team (when to be fair, you can usually run an offense with just 2 offense characters).

In my opinion, I think it just adds a larger variety of offense heroes to choose from so that you and your team can adapt to the enemy’s tactics. Offense arguably does have the most differences between the heroes in it, after all.

1 Like

I’d say in terms of variety between heroes in a category, defense has the most. None of the defense characters play anything like each other, besides the two snipers (and they’re still fairly different). The offense heroes are fairly varied, sure, but they’re still the most basic role in the game: kill da bad guys. Unfortunately, they’re also what most new players in every pub immediately gravitate toward, whether that character is good for the comp, map, or if there are already 3 damage characters on the team and no tanks. Maybe I’m biased as a tank main, but seeing more offense characters just makes me think of more people locking in as characters they don’t know, and standing behind my shield without shooting, then getting killed needlessly. The offense characters we have are varied and interesting, we don’t need more. We need tanks, defense characters, and supports that aren’t healers. Then we can add more offense heroes. Currently they’re the largest category, and frankly, the least important to a good team composition. In many cases, you can have one or two offense characters and be completely fine, and on defense there are certain comps that can run with ZERO offense characters (which shouldn’t be a surprise considering the name of the role). I just think Sombra would be more interesting as a support that isn’t a healer, like Symmetra. Don’t get me wrong, a good offense player who knows what they’re doing is invaluable, but these days I just hope for an offense teammate that isn’t absolutely terrible, because I’m so used to getting “pro Genjis” on my team. What’s more valuable to me is a good support player, or a good Junkrat. I feel like OverWatch in general caters to gamers that aren’t used to gaming (certain audible cues that are far too obvious like footsteps, and the overly simplistic UI), and those gamers are usually going to play offense characters. Adding more offense characters when that’s the most fleshed out category that needs the least work when supports, defense characters, and tanks could all use some help just makes me feel more like Blizzard isn’t focusing on the health of the game and is instead focusing on drawing in new players rather than trying to keep their current playerbase. I know that’s not the intent, but they haven’t done a lot lately to make me feel otherwise.

Also, I have a lot of problems with Sombra’s kit that I haven’t said here, because she’s not out yet and I’ll reserve my final opinion until I’ve played against and as her in-game, but something I’m very concerned about it counterplay, specifically with her cloak. You see, the Spy’s cloak in TF2 disables attack when in use, and makes you momentarily flash when bumping an enemy or taking damage. Sombra’s cloak is instantly disabled when you attack, use an ability, or take damage. There is a big problem with this, however. Sombra’s cloak seems weaker, but it’s actually stronger according to the current definition. You see, Sombra can supposedly attack to break her cloak, with no prior warning or time penalty. Just, out of the blue, you have an automatic pistol all over you. At least the Spy in TF2 has to take a second to de-cloak, and it makes a sound when he does. He can’t just backstab someone from cloak and then lose his cloak when he backstabs someone, there’s counterplay. You listen for the de-cloak, forcing spies to come out of cloak from further away or while another loud sound is masking their de-cloak. Sombra can just appear and tear you to shreds with no counterplay, as far as I can tell from her current kit. It seems like a small thing, but this isn’t the only example of how OverWatch really doesn’t seem to encourage counterplay as much as they encourage counter-picking. There are a lot of things in the game that aren’t countered by using a specific strategy, but are rather countered by picking a different character. I’d like to play a skill-based shooter that encourages me to use skill to outplay my enemies, not just play rock-paper-scissors with heroes. The ability to change characters mid-match freely discourages Blizzard from balancing characters to be effective in multiple situations and allows them to make characters that are very situational (such as Symmetra in her current state) and is the reason that offense is called “offense” and not “damage.” It’s a personal gripe I have with the game’s direction, but I feel that, for me personally, it should’ve been a no-brainer when it came to things like the 1-hero limit in comp (it should’ve been in at launch considering how much people asked for it during the beta), or hero switching limits (which, obviously, are not in the game at all). It turns your decision making away from “I like this character, so I’ll play them” and turns it toward “well, this character is only really good in this one specific scenario against these specific heroes, so even if they’re fun, I won’t play them.” It’s entirely a subjective opinion on what I think the game should be aiming for rather than what it is, but adding more offense characters when they’re the category that needs new characters the least is just one more thing that bothers me about the game.

Sorry for the long reply, I had a lot to get out.

1 Like

Great. Now, there’ll be more idiots in competitive who’ll be offense instead of support.

1 Like

I think sombra is more of a support based offense character. It’s unique to see, and I like her kit a lot.

Especially the translocator. It’s such a cool, unique idea (and you all seem to have forgotten it).

It’s definitely not unique, but it’s probly the most interesting part of her kit. I do like that she can teleport to it at any time, allowing it to be used as an initiate or an escape. Unfortunately, she’s in the offense category, and it is what it is. If Blizzard wanted her to be more support based, she’d be in the support category. Her main purpose on the team will be dealing damage to enemies and flanking (which I’m fine with, I just think the other categories need some love, and this is just another example of how Blizzard has seemingly forgotten about the other categories).

I’d like to know why you think this.

The only things that make Roadhog a tank are his health and large hitbox. Likewise, Soldier 76 can heal his allies? Must be a support. Zenyatta can do a lot of damage and take out tanks? Must be offense. There are some characters that are more split with their roles, so they’re assigned to the category that their playstyle is most similar to. Sombra has support characteristics, but is, at her core, a flanking character.

That’s what I was saying. She may have support aspects, but she is primarily an offense character. I’ve already explained my issues with adding yet another offense character to the game.

As for how it’s not unique, the ability to throw a grenade that teleports you to its location isn’t anything new. I mean, even Kinessa in Paladins has an ability like that. This is not “unique,” even if it is a more interesting twist on the concept.