Paints for LEGO Pieces

Looks like a pretty good match. Thanks :slight_smile:

Also: for anybody who’s a fan of mine: Thrall MOCs coming next week hopefully.

1 Like

Yeah, citadel auric gold is the best. The lighter the mask the better…dark masks require a light primer before application or you’ll end up with a mask that is takanuva gold. I’m always from my masks for the weekend but I can post pics early next week.

2 Likes

Feel free to but it already seems clear it’s a very good match :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s another tip I should probably share: when painting pieces, try painting over a piece that’s lighter than the paint you’re using, otherwise chips or gaps in the paint will look more obvious and you’ll need more coats to cover the colour up.

1 Like

Here you have also comparison without flash. Paint is a bit lighter then Lego Pearl Gold, but still it’s good match.

http://i.imgur.com/Thy1p6T.jpg

4 Likes

Or a base coat, which is always a good idea

Indeed! If any of you plan on getting shapeways parts in black to that you decide to paint gold, this is also the case.

@Hazash Hi, I’m new here…sorry this is an older topic but this is the best one I’ve found with info I need! I’m working on a slightly custom UCS set…in all white, but the problem is a few pieces I need were never made in white. The Humbrol #34 white you showed looks like a good match, could you share a photo of one of your painted parts next to an unpainted white lego please? I only have to paint a handful of pieces for my build so they don’t need to be 100% matching but at least not too obviously painted .

Thanks in advance for any advice or examples you can give me!

-Carl_and_Thayer

The picture with the masks compare the painted masks with their Lego color counterpart. The Mahiki comparison in the top middle left is your paint. Hope that helped, and good luck with your paint job.

Ah I see, thanks I did not notice that! Thanks so much for your original post and response to me this will be a great help.

What Perpetual said :stuck_out_tongue:

Any white paint will usually do. However I find that LEGO white has a very slight yellow tint to it. Maybe that’s just the discolouration that happens with old parts.

I bought a can of Testors brand white yesterday to try before I found this post. But yes it seems lego ‘white’ is more of a cream or yellow white. The pure white was super noticeable.

How many colors have we found and haven’t found yet? Can we get a master post of the colors and paints still missing?

I could write up an updated post if I remember / have the time.

As I’ve needed to get more paints, I’ve started primarily using car paints which somebody in a store matches for me. Most of the paints you can buy are still listed in the original post. I neglected to mention some of the ones I use as I don’t consider them a decent enough match.

1 Like

Does anyone have a good paint for trans neon orange? Thanks.

You can’t just turn something transparent. Did you mean painting trans-clear pieces orange?

I haven’t found anything that turns a trans peice trans neon orange, but an orange Sharpie can turn a trans neon green part into a facsimile of trans orange.

2 Likes

Thank you. That will definitely prove useful. And @Hautaka, I did mean coloring a transparent part.

1 Like

I’m assuming a vis-a-vis wet erase marker (maybe red) would work, but I don’t know for certain.

1 Like

Maybe try a orange sharpie or BIC permanent marker on a light colored transparent piece. I’ve had great success with red.

1 Like

Apple Barrel Deep Navy almost matches metru blue perfectly. i used it on my self mocs lower arms and it looks good

4 Likes