Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

Marowwak with Lightning rod could be a good asset
while Salazzle is good
you have to worry about a X4 ground weakness

1 Like

That’s a really niche circumstance. Marowak is also weak to ground, rock, water, ghost, and dark. Salazzle on the otherhand may be extremely weak to ground while also gaining psychic weakness as well, but it also has the ability to take out fairy types, and its stats are great for offensive purposes. Marowak’s stats on the other hand leave a lot to be desired.

Besides, who leaves a fire type in against a ground type anyway?

funny that you two talk about those pokemons, because those two are in my Pokemon Moon team.

Anyone here playing competive battles?
Also, where can I get geodude in sun and moon? Recently got to Ula ula island

1 Like

yeah you get them on the island
route 12

1 Like

tyvm^^

1 Like

Haven’t started yet. I’m waiting for bank.

1 Like

There’s also someome who trades you a Graveler for a Haunter.

1 Like

Speaking of Salazzle, my brother gave me an extra female Salandit he caught when I started Pokemon Sun, and it’s been a permanent member of my team.

Definitely a fun game so far.

2 Likes

Having gotten sun for Christmas I’m, a touch behind most of you.

I have to ask, did anyone give cutiefly a chance?
Because my Navi is become death to all that oppose me, seriously it’s a genuinely good Pokemon, give it a chance if you haven’t already.

Also I’m doing a pseudo challenge run my first time through, I’m only using Pokemon that I can think of a good nickname for, and I have to keep them healthy and fed, it’s not really a challenge in terms of difficulty, so much as it’s made me genuinely attached to my team to the point I don’t want to replace any of them.

3 Likes

Dude same.

3 Likes

I actually had Cutiefly on my team for most of the entire game
I named him Dire
but when I got the IV Judge
I learnt he had the worst HP IV
but he was nice to have around

1 Like

People who like to use only fire types :wink:

Speaking of which… 5 Pokemon in my team have a rock weakness. 4 have a ground weakness. 4 have a water weakness. And I’m underleveled. For the first time in my life a Pokemon game is difficult in the first playthrough.
Seriously, that Trainer with that Miltank on… was it the first or second island? Well, it was faster than anything I had, tanked at least four attacks, and it knew Rollout, which meant that in five turns I lost at least 3 Pokemon. And if that wasn’t enough, the trainer also used a potion once I actually managed to get that thing anywhere near being defeated the first time… The Ruler Pokemon (or however they’re called in English) were pushovers this far in contrast.
On the other hand it’s good to see that what destroyed your team in Gen2 and Gen4 is still capable of doing exactly the same thing in Gen7 :smile:

Well, I heard it’s strong and looking at Ribombee’s stats and attacks it makes sense. It’s fast, its special attack isn’t too bad and it learns Quiver Dance. Also it’s typing is probably not that bad - although I usually can’t really apreciate Pokemon with a fire weakness…

Same thus far. Although whenever I look at Salazzle I somehow get reminded of a very certain character from a very certain book in Skyrim…

Currently still only on ORAS.

1 Like

I’m seriously considering not evolving mine because of how much I like cutiefly, it’s just the most adorable little destroyer of worlds.

I think my entire team has a fire weakness now that you mention it, well perhaps not a weakness so much as no particular strength against it, though I suppose my growlithe tiribomba makes up for that.

Gotta admit, that was a quality battle, even for my glass tank team.

2 Likes

Sooooo, I have played pokemon since ruby and sapphire, but I have never done serious and competive battles. And I would like to change that now, I want to make a team around Aloan Golem, any tips? Also what kind of moveset do you think I should run? I want him to be a sweeper, and if golem isn’t “meta” that dosen’t bother me too much^^

I know most about Iv’s and Ev’s but have never dwelled into it to much

I also got Sun as a pre-christmas gift, and on christmas I got Moon^^ First time I have ever owned 2 games of a main series. Playing trough Sun as we speak, and moon probably before the 11th of january so I won’t miss out on munchlax.

So, are we talking about using Alolan Golem against any competitive team, or are we talking an NU/RU team?

Alolan Golem can’t be a sweeper. It just can’t work as one. It can work as a physically defensive attacker and stealth rock setter though. You’ll want it to have the ability Sturdy. I’d put 252 EVs into the physical attack stat, as well as 252 into its physical defense stat. The remainder should go to its SpD. stat. Your moves should be Stealth Rock, Wild Charge, Stone Edge, and Earthquake. Your priority should be putting it on a trick room team, because its really low speed stat is going to get it killed too fast for it to do any real damage to your opponent on a normal basis. You’ll have to be very wary of ground type Pokemon, because you have a glaring 4x weakness. You’ll also want a grass type on your team, so you can check against ground types.

1 Like

Everyone keeps saying this game is hard but I’ve only lost two battles, and that was against Olivia and that one cop Kahuna. The rest of the Kahunas and battles I defeated with some annoyance but beat it regardless.

So what is very hard about the game?

1 Like

Well, I can’t say if it would turn out to be a particularly good sweeper, but in theory…:

• Ability: Galvanize (HA)
  • Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -Spatk)
  • Item: Life Orb?
  • IV spread: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4… I guess SpDef can’t hurt
  • Attacks:
    → Rock Polish
    → Return
    → Stone Edge
    → Earthquake/Heavy Slam

The thing is, if you want it to be a sweeper you have to max out speed and get out a Rock Polish, otherwise Golem will just be too slow. At +2 Speed it is fast enough to overtake unscarfed base 130 Pokemon if my calculations are right, which definitely is enough to sweep quite a bit.
The main problem I see, though, is that Golem doesn’t have the coverage to do much against its weaknesses. Against ground types it’s totally screwed, as it has a 4x weakness to their STAB moves and can’t really hit back. Fighting types and especially water types should be possible to defeat if they’re not too bulky and Golem is faster, but against bulky grass types such as for example Leafeon or Tangrowth it also can’t survive.

I feel like it’s somewhat difficult if you don’t want to spend hours grinding XP and also don’t want to use the Exp. Share.

I haven’t lost a single battle yet, but sometimes it really was important to decide which Pokemon to sacrifice in order to revive an already defeated one.

1 Like

If you’re using the exp.share, that’s your first misstep. In an interview, Masuda said that the new exp.share was made specifically for kids with a low attention span and people in Japan who didn’t have much time. It wasn’t made just to keep you from having to grind, but also to make the game extremely easy for those who just don’t have the time to play an RPG. It’s also why the exp.share can be toggled. If you’re an adult that wants to play Pokemon as an RPG, the option is there.

Also, “switch style” is for beginners so that they can learn how to properly uuse types. “Set style” is what all official competitions, and even every postgame battle facility in Pokemon use.

The stats, movesets, and AI for this gen are all better than every single past gen, so unless you’re somehow getting ten levels above your opponents, you probably have a stellar team. I think that’s a problem all RPGs and aging players though. We’re always lookong for efficiency so we can beat the game easily, yet at the same time don’t want to beat the game easily. Honestly, I wish Pokemon and other rpgs would have enemies level WITH you, so that you’ll never be able to beat intuitive AI strategies just by grinding

Well I definitely am using experience share because it’s annoying to grind.

The only thing 10 levels above my opponents is my starter, but that’s natural for starters, even in previous games.

That would make things better, wouldn’t it? Grinding sucks in video games.

1 Like