Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

How did you manage loosing so often?

I mean, my team sucked, but with enough revives…

My team was:

• Torracat (didn’t evolve it because I don’t like the look of Incineroar at all)
  • Toucannon
  • Arcanine
  • Lycanrock (Sun)
  • Salazzle
  • Alolan Ninentales

That’s five rock weaknesses, four ground weaknesses, four water weaknesses, one not fully evolved Pokemon and scarcely any coverage against water, rock and poison types.

Basically all my preparations for the Pokemon League were buying enough Revival Herbs and grinding my whole team to level 55 (because I figured that when Hau outleveled my team before the Pokemon League by like 5 levels I should prepare at least somewhat :stuck_out_tongue:)

That was the easiest Pokedex to fill ever. Took me only like two weeks. Filling the National Pokedex back in the days of Pokemon Perl - that was an endeavor.

1 Like

i dunno what “loosing is”.

Actually 75% of my team were at level 40, and I needed the practice.

Which was good, because now when I’m the Champon and he’s the Challenger, I sweep his team with my Lunala.

Like I said,

1 Like

I lost to him once, and only because I didn’t prepare with enough healing items. I got down to his last Pokémon before I lost. It made me very angry. It made it all the more satisfying to beat him, though.

2 Likes

Oh no doubt. This game in general is satisfying.

2 Likes

Wow… you guys actually use healing items? I find them cheap, so I never use them in any of my playthroughs. I believe in honest fair fights, and that true strength comes from taking down opponents without outside recources. I like to be self-sufficient. It makes fights more brutal. I really like when games are a massive uphill battle. It’s why Monster Hunter will always be one of my favorite franchises.

2 Likes

I would try that, except I would continue to do stupid stuff and loose because of it. I’m just not good enough to survive the handicap, so I play without it. I respect that you play like that, though. It’s pretty cool.

Even the best Pokemon players I know use healing items. Even ChuggaConroy does.

It helps with:

• Keeping friendship for a Pokemon, because if they faint the friendship goes down and I don’t want that. It gets annoying when a Pokemon dies, and it doesn’t help when you’re in a cave and your Pokemon die in a battle and you have to walk all the way to a Pokemon Center.
  • I get tons of money from normal trainer battles. What else do I do with that cash? Buy pointless stuff? No. I use them for items. There is a good reason this system is in implemented.
  • Going against gym battles and the Elite Four. Have you tried to beat G1 Elite Four without healing items? It’s pain and suffering. (I still haven’t been able to do it with healing items.) Also, The Elite Four, AKA the greatest trainers in the region, also use healing items. I don’t see why I shouldn’t use it when it’s part of the rules and the Elite Four use them. It’s not “cheap”, it’s a legitimate strategy.
  • If you’re stuck in an area and need to desperately heal most of your fainted Pokemon, and you can’t go back and you already saved.

And gathering resources like Full Restore isn’t self-sufficient? Do you not like using Pokemon centers either? Honestly, I don’t understand this. A kid I know at school who likes to battle competitively uses healing items when playing the games normally.

If you enjoy not using healing items, enjoy. But don’t call them “cheap”. They are definitely not.

1 Like

NPCs at most have two or less healing items. Basing my reasoning off of that, it isn’t lore friendly to spam healing items during a battle. If you can’t win it without continually spamming healing items, then you’re not really winning at all are you? You’re just scumming the system while your opponent continues to lose PP. My other reason is that healing items can’t be used in official competitions, battle facilities, or against other players.

I believe in training Pokemon to be strong enough to survive every battle by themselves. All it takes is to get them all 10 levels above your opponent. This is how I play, because it holds more honor.

I joke about that, honestly. I use them quite strategically. I know that you can lose health right after you use them, so I try to attack instead and if the enemy goes down, then I use a healing item. If they don’t, then it’s either I take a huge risk or use a healing item.

Not in Sun and Moon they don’t lol. Let’s just say my battle against Kukui was a long one…

Those are for really skilled people. As of against other players, I think the removal of healing items really helps make it more special and challenging. But in game? I’m totally gonna use them.

Honestly even with that there’s a chance that someone could use a really strong super-effective move and KO your Pokemon. It’s more safe, sure, but you never know.

I dunno, defeating the Elite Four, becoming the Champion, and catching Legendaries feels pretty honorable in itself. But whatever floats your boat I guess. Just don’t call them cheap.

I don’t really find coming to a fight significantly stronger than your opponent that honorable.

Sun was frankly exhilarating for me because my battles were so close a lot of the time, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat is an amazing feeling, granted, my self inflicted rule set led to my team giving me that experience, but it was a great experience.

5 Likes

And not using all your possible resources to be the very best is cheap?

I’d agree with all of you, if Pokemon games were hard in the first place. Since they’re really easy, I find healing items to be an extra set of training wheels, and I really think they should be removed unless Gamefreak ups the trainer AI, movepool, and overall adds in a system where npc Pokemon level with yours, so they’re always at least a little stronger. TES does something similar.

It’s like buying and using a potion in Ocarina of Time: completely unnecessary. If you’re playing ALttP or the original TLoZ, then yeah you’ll need a potion or more because those games are designed so that potions matter. In OoT though? Not at all.

In my opinion, potions in Pokemon are like potions in every Zelda after ALttP: a remnant of a past is no longer relevant in future installments.

Do you not heal your team between battles? Oh wait, you over level so you blitz through opponents, you think maybe you find the games easy because you make your team significantly stronger than your opponents?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t spam potions during battle, I use them as a portable pokecenter, healing my team between battles.

2 Likes

Haha.

Hahahahaha.

#AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2 Likes

i’m thinking of buying one of these games, but i’d like to know what’s the post game like?

Better than any other game, IMO. You get to actually defend your Champion title for once, capture the Ultra Beasts (AU Pokemon), and a bunch of other stuff.

I’d say they’re worth it for the main game, personally I haven’t bothered with the post game yet, as it just sounded like a massive fetch quest to me, but I’ve heard other people say it’s good, so I’ll probably get around to it, after I do the small backlog of things I need to do in other games.

You can easily beat every NPC on a route if your whole team is five levels above them. With the Exp. Share that happens naturally. There are also pokemon centers everywhere, and now it seems that someone always randomly heald your team on every route. It takes out the need for that dire heal you’d get in RGBY/GSC during those times when it seemed like a Pokemon was miles away.

Like, I’m not saying that potions are bad, I’m saying that the way the game deals with them is bad. In recent games you get a whole bunch of cash, free hp restoring handouts, and an Exp. Share that can easily over-level your team unless you constantly switch between entirely different rosters. Buying potions and pokeballs used to be a gamble. It used to be a necessity. I’d like that back

Oh, so you find what I said laughable? What’s hilarious is how laughably easy recent Pokemon games are.

slightly unrelated, but for what it’s worth:

I find healing items totally justifiable in instances like the totem battles where your foe can spam backup forever and ever

6 Likes