Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

I feel like that’s where all the fun in IRL competitive battles comes from tho.

1 Like

Sure, but why not have the same fun by yourself as well? A game is only as good as its boss battles. Pokemon games give you too many King Dodongos and not enough Bongo Bongo. Too many Bokoblins and not enough Lynels.

No such thing. Those beasts need to crawl back into whatever pit they came from. Guess who still has trouble with Lynells? :stuck_out_tongue:

Back onto what you’re saying, I think the slider idea would be better. Because while that’s what you’d like, I’m not so sure. I personally don’t play competitive because I don’t care to play that way, so I would hate it if the main story’s battles were like that. So you get some sort of slider or difficulty option, and everyone has the opportunity to be happy.

1 Like

Eh, I wouldn’t say that. A lot if the Pokemon community is even more jaded than I am. I’m just wanting proper JRPG difficulty from Pokemon, they’re the ones that want full out competitive level difficulty.

I kinda miss the difficulty curve of older titles. S/M was definately better than the easy as all get out gen 6, but I still never felt extremely challenged. Sure I had one close call on the second island and one with Nanu, but it mostly came down to me tring to levelup newer party members because I refused to use the EXP share.

It’s probably just that I’m much older than I was when I played my first few games; Pokemon just isn’t a hard series. I will commend this game on it’s play time. I kinda dropped off playing it after the post game UB quests. I think the series benefits greatly from having friends that play it, something I’m lacking currently. I can say that in the moment S/M has been the closest to taking me back to the feelings I had about the games as a child. (First pkm game was Pearl)

Some things I’d like to see:
Better sidequest implementation
Hard mode

In the end I think I’ll still say that Soul Silver is my favorite Polemon game, with Sun holding a close second. I just wish the games would have the same feeling they did when I was younger. That’s a lot to ask for though.

2 Likes

Actually, I think Sun and Moon actually IS easier.

I’ve been playing Pokemon Red again and the lack of experience share is making it REALLY hard to level up my team.

1 Like

I think that has more to do with the tedium of grinding. It’s not exactly harder, just more time consuming to get to the point you’re going to get to anyway. Sun and Moon are technically harder, considering opponent AI, movepools, and general strategies some NPCs employ.

Honestly, they could easily curve overleveling by making wild Pokemon give out poor amounts of EXP. It wouldn’t feel like taking the easy way out when using the EXP. Share if they did that, because you’d NEED your whole team to get that glorious EXP from trainers and gym leaders. Black and White did something similar, and I thought it really helped to balance the gsme out. Kept you from getting stronger than your opponents, but didn’t necessarily penalize you as long as you were constantly switching up your lead Pokemon every battle.

That is true, but then again Sun and Moon kinda eliminates too much grinding, which IMO is good. I hate grinding with a passion in video games.

That could work with the current experience share. I would rather do trainer battles than battle more wild Pokemon.

IMO it depends on what you want in a Pokemon game. Do you want more grinding? Or do you like EXP share which produces less grinding?

1 Like

I’m not into extreme levels of grinding. I like it in moderation though. I don’t like how the current exp. share works because it isn’t balanced at all. If it didn’t give so much to every party member I’d probably love it. I’m of the mind that five-ten minutes of grinding is perfectly fine, because it gives you that sense of accomplishment of putting in effort and getting your dues back for your work. I like that a lot. I don’t like when games that aren’t Monster Hunter try to pull a Monster Hunter and give you some very long grinding streaks, and I don’t like a game just giving me free handouts (healers on each route, making buying items pretty much useless because you can get all of your Pokemon healed up fully on that same route as many times as you want)

It seems to me that Pokemon is having an identity crisis. They’re stuck between putting effort to create a good Pokemon main series RPG with proper rewards and challenges, and creating a spin-off with similar mechanics but with the focus being on coasting through everything until you can breed and enter competitive.

One could make the argument that they’re doing it for kids, but considering Red and Blue/Gold and Silver are the best selling Pokemon games, bought by primarily children in the 90’s, and that the series has stayed strong since then… either children have became complete idiots in the last decade, or Gamefreak literally forgot that kids were perfectly capable of playing Pokemon as a challenging RPG. I really don’t understand why companies think so little of a child’s ability to perceive and problem solve. Their IQ won’t change with age, what you get now is most likely what you’ll get later in the advanced problem solving department.

Is it bad that I wanna say this one?

4 Likes

(Game footage is not final)

4 Likes

well finally

How exactly?

So they release a tiny video to confirm that a Pokemon we already know exists exists?

1 Like

well to be fair, it wasn’t really official before.

1 Like

We know it exists because of dataminers.

I miss the days when we were all kids and no one was smart enough to ruin the surprise that game developers used to have planned. I really hate the modern age of gaming.

5 Likes

It’s not like they had to put it in. They could of added in the code for it in an update when they announced it. The best way to stop people datamining is to not have the data there in the first place. OneShot was a good example of that.

So, since I finally managed to complete my favorite competitive team again and also acquired all items I needed - anyone want to fight? (no legendaries)

(my team is DV bred and EV trained)

RIP mine isn’t.

I don’t understand all this special breeding stuff and EV training. How does one do it?

darnit

I’ll try to whip up something and PM you when I do.

1 Like