Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

You mean the basics?

Well, For DV breeding you basically only need an Everstone, a Destiny Knot and more or less patience.

For EV training in Sun and Moon you actually only need that training island in the Poke-Pelago on level 3 and a lot of time (with pokebeans at least about 65 hours for full EVs - you don’t actually have to do anything in that time, though. It’s enough if you set everything into motion and come back later)

(I could go more into detail if you want…?)

1 Like

EV Training is done with specific items
mainly the power stuff you can buy with BP
which slows you down but a specific EV is boosted with every level
and natures also take part in EV training as well

Not to mention it sucks up all your time and turns you into a cold and heartless Pokemon Trainer who’s obsessed with not losing (never again…).

/s

Well, that’s the complicated/old version. I wouldn’t recommend doing this nowadays.

The Poke-Pelago method takes up a lot of time of waiting, sure, but you only have to actively invest like 5 minutes into it.

Not really. Sure, natures boost/reduce the maximum of a stat the Pokemon can reach and are thus extremely important. They have nothing to do with EV’s, though. You breed natures into Pokemon (that’s what the Everstone ist for).

@Chronicler IVs (Individual Values) are essentially the culmination of points your Pokemon can receive for a stat upon level up. Having an IV of 31 is the best, and ensures your Pokemon will achieve the max amount of points it can upon level up in that stat. Since IVs are tied to Pokemon themselves, you’d have to breed Pokemon, with the IVs effectively passing on as “genes”. There’s a certain methodology for IV breeding, but you can find the information on how to do it efficiently by searching online or on YouTube. The most important item to have your Pokemon hold during this process is a Destiny Knot. There’s also always an NPC in the most recent games that will be able to tell you whether you have a perfect 31 in a stat or not.

EVs (Effort Values) are earned after each and every battle. They help boosts stats, though it’s best to only allow EVs to affect stats that a Pokemon uses the most. For example, if I were to EV train a competitive Mega Charizard Y, I would focus on putting exactly 252 EVs into special attack, 252 EVs into speed, and then 4 EVs into special defence. There are a few ways to go about accomplishing this. I could do a lot of pen and paper calculations, as I defeat Pokemon that give certain EVs after defeat, or I could do some fast and simple conversion math and use Pokepelago.

Natures are just personality traits that also boost a specific stat (but at the cost of another) it’s best to breed for a nature that boosts your Pokemon’s most important stat and decreases your least important stat (for example: you wouldn’t use the physical attack stat if your Pokemon is a special attacker). Giving a Pokemon an everstone when you breed it will force it to pass on its nature without fail.

2 Likes

I also figured out Pokemon transferred from RBY can usually have great IVs.

1 Like

How do you transfer them?

a long tedious process

RIP.

I would love to know how to transfer them over still. I’d love to have my Pokemon Red Bulbasaur on my Sun and Moon team.

It’s not actually that bad. As long as you have Pokemon Bank downloaded, you can download a seperate app that lets you transfer from Black and White, and now RBY. They get put in the bank, then you put them in your PC.

IIRC you need Pokemon bank for it
or was that changed

You can only transfer from the virtual console releases of RBY. You’ll need Pokemon Bank, and the PokeTransfer tool that comes with it.

All you have to do is use the PokeTransfer tool to transfer your RBY 'mons over. They’ll be placed in a “transfer” box in Pokemon Bank. You then use Pokemon Bank to select the game you want to transfer them to and move them from the “transfer box” into one of your in-game PC boxes.

1 Like

This:

and sorta this:

1 Like

So the Official Pokemon Site listed Ultra SuM as for November on the 3DS and TBD on the Switch, but changed it when media outlets picked up on it.

Seems like it might be multi-platform after all.

1 Like

They confirmed that was an error, potential cover up?

I wouldn’t say it’s a coverup, I could be wrong but ever since gen 4 TPC’s been somewhat infamous for not moving to newer platforms, so I don’t think it’s unlikely that it was an error.

Since Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are comming out soon, I want to say some things in regards to Sun and Moon.

Sun and Moon ended up really dissapointing me. They are not bad games, but I feel they lack some things that could easily make them the best pokemon games ever. I figure I’ll just break it down into points. And before anyone gets their jimmies rustled, this will contain a mix of facts, opinions, and personal viewpoints. Please keep common sense in tact.

Sun and Moon feel like a watered down version of ORAS

I don’t care how controversial this viewpoint is. I came right off of ORAS when I started playing Sun and Moon and I noticed the differences between the games. I don’t want to get into in this point here as that would take away from other points I want to make. You will see what I mean as I go along.

I feel some key features are missing

So you cannot re-challenge trainers…I do not like that at all. I don’t want my offline battles resigned to the battle facilities, wild encounters, and the elite 4. Horde battles are also gone. I liked horde battles. They were great for EV training, It made shiny hunting less of a chore, and it was fun to see something different. SOS battles are not bad, but they cannot compare in my eyes.

I am also mift at the fact that there is no viable way to get to level 100. Grind the elite 4? NO. It doesn’t give that much EXP and Z-moves are annoying. Also it takes forever. I do not mind grinding, but excessive grinding is where I draw the line. Plus I don’t even know what that does to the 3DS hardware. Festival plaza? I need to be online to get good level up stands and you need to get lucky to find the right people. And you need a lot of festival points… I didn’t expect the Blissey bases to come back (even though those were a freaking god send…), but something would have been nice.

The game holds your hand like crazy

Come on people, you cannot deny there was an uncomfortable amount of hand holding. I get that the game is aimed at kids. But kids should be allowed to explore and not have the majority of the game be a scripted event. Hau, Lillie, LET ME DO MY OWN THING.

I know what people are going to say: “This game isn’t for you…” Well I started out with Gen 3 and I was able to figure things out by wandering around. Plus hand holding is a much hated trope in video games regardless of how much there actually is. I also noticed X and Y had an issue with hand holding. It is becoming an issue in recent pokemon games. ORAS didn’t have this issue, but to be fair they were remakes.

Plus this game was way too easy. Z-moves did not make it harder, they made the game more annoying. The game is a cake-walk if you have the right Z-moves…

The pokedex was good, but it had some duds

Why does the first non mega, non legendary Fire Dragon look like a stereotypical modern cartoon turtle? That upset aside, I feel the Sun And Moon pokedex was good, but had some duds. For the most part, they nailed it out of the ballpark. But obviously you have got the fillers (cough) Harambe Oranguru, Comfey, Komala, Passimian… (cough) and the missed potential cases.

UItra beasts and legendaries? Fantastic, keep at it gamefreak. But no roaming legendaries? Seriously?

Alolan forms? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING GAMEFREAK? I do not hate the idea of Alolan forms, but there is so many missed oppertunities and pokemon that did NOT deserve them. An Ice type Vulpix and Sandshrew would make more sense in northen Sinnoh than Hawaii-based Alola. Rattata, Meowth, and Grimer…Pretty sure there is better choices. Golem: Why does it have a rail canon? Why does it not have a volcano or is made out of volcanic rock? Alolan Execgutor? That actually make sense considering it is based off of a palm tree. Alolan Raichu? Pretty sure they did that because Pikachu… Alolan Marowak…It looks cool, but I don’t even know. Alolan Dugtrio: MEMES. And the sad thing is that majority of the gen one dex is in the game with a lot of pokemon (especially aquatics) that should have gotten alolan forms.

Zygarde is shoe-horned in…I don’t care about the financial reasons for skipping Pokemon Z. It’s still shoe-horned in.

And for the love of Arceus gamefreak, stop making pokemon hate each other in lore. It makes no sense for every Mimikyu to hate Pikachu’s. What are they a hive mind?

Alola is small and questionable…

I think Alola is the smallest region we have had in a while. It doesn’t help that a lot of doors in this game are fake. Vinny from Vinesauce made a Rick and Morty joke in regards to this and it is fully valid. It feels like Alola is more show than substance.

And gee, there seems to be a lack of swimming and diving for a region based on Hawaii. And why is there an Ice mountain in a Hawaii-based region? It made sense for Sinnoh and Kalos to have ice areas because they are up north. I assume Alola is in the tropics. Why does it have an ice mountain?

Also Alola feels like a guided path to me. But they may be issue with the series itself now that I think about it.

Z-moves and Mega evoultions…

I hate Z-moves. To me, they are an inferior Mega evolution mechanic. I’ll use them, but that doesn’t mean I like them. And Mega evolutions got the crap end of the stick this generation. So we went from a strong bond between trainer and pokemon to MEGA EVOLUTIONS ARE EVUL! YOU ARE ABUSING UR POKEMON! Excuse me? Can we please fire the team working on the pokedex right now? They seem to be more concerned with messing with the players head rather than making coeherent lore.

Oh, and the limited amount of mega stones available is lovely. Sorry, you have to get the rest through online distrubutions. The only problematic mega stone in ORAS was garchompite. Otherwise you could find all of the mega stones easily. And I don’t want to hear any crap about Megas given that there is wide a variety of Z-moves.

Overall verdict

Watch, someone is going to overreact and claim I hate Sun and Moon… I like Sun and Moon, but they could have been better. I see a good game here. But even with that in mind, the games are still fun. There is no such thing as a bad Pokemon game, just a flawed game…barring spin off games obviously… Sun and Moon are still an enjoyable experience.

If I had to make recomendations for modern games, here is how it would go: You’re not missing much with X and Y, so you can give them a pass. But you will be missing out on the Nordic trio and one of the best dragon Pokemon ever (Goodra). ORAS are a must have, especially if you liked Ruby and Sapphire. Plus they give you a convient and streamlined entry into competitve play. Sun And Moon look nice and have redeeming features. Plus there are some great pokemon and the story (while not perfect) is pretty good. Plus the Ultra Beasts are the coolest thing ever…

And my viewpoints don’t make Sun and Moon bad. I am just expressing how I feel and getting out my frustrations. I maybe a little old-fashioned, but that doesn’t inavalidate anything I say.

And I am done for now. You are welcome to agree or disagree with me. Just keep in mind that may or may not agree with you. I am not you. All I ask is that at least stay civil (but hey, everybody expects this).

2 Likes

Yeah I admit it is. As for it being easy… You’re probably just better at Pokemon than me, but I found the game quite difficult, and I scarcely used Z-Moves unless I was in a pinch.

Personally I never liked the idea of roaming legendaries. NGL, I find them annoying when I stumble upon them and suddenly I’m not ready to take them on.

I absolutely adore the Alolan forms. They not only look excellent, but I found them to be good teammate Pokemon as well.

If a mountain is tall enough, it will still gain ice regardless of being in warmer climates. Often has to do with atmosphere stuff, since the higher you go the colder it gets.[quote=“ChaoticTempleKnight, post:1380, topic:23205”]
And I don’t want to hear any crap about Megas given that there is wide a variety of Z-moves.
[/quote]
See that’s the thing, I don’t like either of these playing around with them in Sun and Moon. Mega is just a powered-up Pokemon, and Z-moves is just an OP move. The fun of Pokemon for me is the strategy, and I’m sure you’d agree. These are only helpful in a tight spot IMO.

You gotta admit, though, getting rid of HMs and having the Pokemon Rider is SO much better than carrying around a slave Pokemon, since you can now focus on building the entire team.

My ideal Pokemon game, personally, is one that is visually like Sun and Moon (I hate the squished models in 3D, it looks awful. They were only acceptable for the 2D games), features a good story (which I feel Sun and Moon had but that’s just me), and has a beautiful Pokedex and incredible post-game like HeartGold and SoulSilver.

1 Like

Megas and Z moves are very helpful.

Pokemon like Charizard are useless without their mega forms. The whole point of Mega Evolution IS to supe up Pokemon and make their stats viable. Then you have Z moves, which really do help to change the tide of a battle if used correctly. Z splash Mimikyu is death.

The problem is that trainers rarely have a full team of six, a mega, and a Z move all in one. Gamefreak needs to start buffing up trainer roster size and the tools at their disposel at around level 30. We need to start seeing full teams by then, along with Z moves and Megas.

This is actually a very common opinion in the Pokemon community. The only other thing the majority seems to want is for tutorials to be optional and a difficulty setting.

2 Likes

Optional turorials would be amazing.

4 Likes