POLL: BIONICLE G1 Canonization Contests?

Well my stance was that personal bias could cloud judgement, and I was offering that suggestion as a potential solution.

1 Like

I might, but at the same time, it would be harder to hold people accountable if they tried to cheat, not to mention that everything would have to be done off site. Besides, bias can’t be removed completely, everyone has their own eccentrics.

Even so I think at least attempting to have it be impartial is still a good thing. If you recognize a person and still want to vote for them because you genuinely like the style thats fine I suppose. But the anonymity might give a lesser known mocist a chance of competing.

Probably the only way to reduce personal bias influencing who wins would be having not an open vote, but instead a jury. Though the major drawback of that would of course be that the winning entry wouldn’t necessarily represent community preferences, and I can already see the discussion coming of “those people are idiots this is not my canon”.

Frankly, however, a community vote where not at least 80-90% agree on a winner would result in pretty much the same thing, I’d expect…

If these contests happen, personally I’d simply expect from each contestant to be chivalrous enough to not abuse their influence elsewhere to boost their votes and let TTV handle the advertisement.

That sounds even worse than anonymous. I think a picture to vote on with the winner’s name announced afterwards would be the best bet in that circumstance.

And how exactly do the pictures get posted without being linked to any name?

Probably have a moderator to submit the entries to by a certain date. The moderator would then create a poll with an image of each creation that you could vote for in a new polling forum.

How do the mods get the pictures without seeing the identity of who made it though? The only answer is to outsource to a different site.

Obviously the mods will know and that’d be inevitable. As long as they don’t go telling people to vote for a specific one then it’d be fine.

Still, there’s no reason for the entries to be anonymous. There should be more than enough of us that any votes out of spite would be rendered moot. If someone thinks they have what it takes to make something canon, then they should darn well have the determination to put their name on it. Bias isn’t as big a deal as you’re making it out to be, the community would vote on what they think is best, not who they like.

You’re acting like they wouldn’t be given credit. They’d get their name on it, relax. I’m only recommending this because your argument is the same type of argument that’s been made for other voting systems like at BZP and look what those turned into.

Is that really something people do here? Jesus…

What did those turn into?

Popularity contests or people just voting off of the name alone. Go and watch the video about this on the TTV youtube channel and you’ll hear how they talk about how it being issues in other forums in the past.

Isn’t the point for the most popular entry to win? What else is a contest?

I think you keep missing the point of what is trying to be said. The contest is suppose to be the most agreed upon design that would reflect cannon, not everyone voting for a well known mocist that they want to see personally decide the aesthetic of Bionicle because of their personal preference.

Most people will vote for what they think is best regardless of Who’s making it.

And now the discussion has come full circle so theres not really any point replying at this point.

Yeah, maybe

I guess the conclusion is that you think people won’t do that regardless of the fact that its happened many times over in similar circumstances and that some people think it’s better safe than sorry.