POLL: In terms of character, which Toa were the best designed?

I’m not talking about functionality or posability, just character design. Between 2001, 2002, 2008, 2015, or 2016, which Toa had the designs that best reflected their character?

2 Likes

Although I love 2008’s line-up because all of the characters were different but still had a lot of uniformity, I’m gonna have to go with 2015. Each Master was given mountains of personality via the printing on their chest plates, their masks, the positioning of their gearboxes, and so on and so forth. They’re my favorite line-up of Toa for the same reasons I love '08’s Nuva; They’re a group that look great next to one another, but still look amazing by their lonesome.

11 Likes

I feel like Matoro might have the best set in terms of if it matches his character. Him being a small hunch back really fits his meek personality.

I’d have to say 2015 with 2007 runner-up, the differences between the Toa in 2007 made them stand out but I’d still have to say that 2015 was better, they had far more differences to their individual designs and aesthetics. Whereas in 2007, two toa had claw type weapons and I could barely tell which one was the toa of earth when they were released.

Definitely 2015. Those sets were awesome; I wish i had more of them.

I’m gonna break da mold and say 2016 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Where is the poll? There is suppose to be a poll.

2015 wins hands down. The builds are highly diverse and the abundance of trans pieces gives the sets an intense elemental feel. Of all the problems I had with the reboot, the sets were not one of them. (At least not where the Toa are concerned.)

For it’s time I also appreciate 2001 for being able to do more with less. It’s the subtle things that count, like Onua’s hunched head, Gali using pins for hips, or Kopaka’s narrower shoulders giving him a more closed-off appearance.

1 Like

I’d say 2015 and 2007. Yes, while the Phantoka/Mistika were diverse in stature and presentation, you really had to grasp at straws to find any character similarities with the latter (especially Gali).

As drastic as the underwater motif was, the Toa Mahri still retained numerous, even subtle, similarities with prior versions. Take a look at Hewkii: the minimal armor on his body would imply this character is very athletic; very swift. Even his Garai retains the bulging cheeks seen on his original Kakama. Were he to have been taller like his Inika counterpart, I feel LEGO would have captured his character perfectly.

Another example would be Kongu. While his hefty frame is a little too exaggerated, it isn’t exactly out of place. Paired with the Dark Green, Silver, and Grey, not to mention the dual projectile weapons, Kongu really seems like a battle hardened warrior. Compared with his Inika form, similar in color and toting two projectile based weapons (one being his crossbow), Kongu is relatively consistent with his prior form. The Zatth’s features even harkens back to his old Miru, what with the sleek, calm looking eyes, and the slightest hints of a smirk being shaped by those two slits below.

2015 really kicks it up a notch with the armor placement and body proportions. Now you have sets like Tahu and Kopaka, who both compare in certain aspects, but contrast in others. Kopaka’s heavily armored shoulders and boots compliment his more withheld demeanor, while Tahu’s bellbottom legs, for lack of a better word, and downward placing armor emphasize his looser, more outgoing character.

3 Likes

2015 for certain. The designs were iconic and recognizably the Mata, but also varied in physique and weapon scheme.

Honestly I don’t think you can top that.

I’d have to agree with the majority here and say 2015, hands down.

2015 is the best in terms of Toa designs since it took a lot of pointers from 2007 and 2004 when it came to different appearances and gear functions.

1 Like

I’d say 2007 sans Hewki, he was just an abomination.