POLL: LEGO Tour Mask of Water vs Physical Art Book

My view on it is, while yes, I could easily print out the book, it wouldn’t be nearly the same as the actual book, both in quality and experience. Having the book in hand would make me feel like I have a part of some of the concepts for the reboot of a theme I enjoy. Whereas, to me at least, I don’t like how the mask looks. I think the colors don’t work with the eyestalks, and that the heads don’t look too nice with completely trans masks. Additionally, I don’t really moc using the G2 masks, and if I did, I wouldn’t have enough dark trans blue to make a moc that uses this mask, and I simply prefer the original colors better. While I can see how others would enjoy using the mask for mocs, for me, I feel it would only sit unused, while at least the art book I would flip through every once and a while to relive the hype surrounding G2.

2 Likes

I can easily read Action Comics #1 online in pristine quality; however, I’d need to pay over $3,000,000 to experience the same in-hand. I can do the same with the U.S. Declaration of Independence, but few would argue that a printed replica is aesthetically and emotionally identical to the original.

Obviously the G2 art book isn’t on the same level, or even near; however, it still has incredible emotional and memorial value to many, as it is a keepsake from the era of G2 and, for most, a hard-earned prize that has an emotional value commensurate with the effort that went into winning it, not the effort that went into physically producing the book.

I get that you may feel as though its good enough, but the book can’t exactly be replicated, either. It depends on what you want from the experience.

The transparent Mask of Water is pretty impressive, yeah, but I’ve never felt particularly excited by a piece of plastic. To me, the value of the mask seems a lot more artificial than the value of the art book. I personally have no interest in ever obtaining the mask.

Exactly.

-Azani

1 Like

I personally feel differently. In fact the opposite. To me the mask is like a trophy, with plenty to brag about. I just don’t feel the need to have a book in hand. To me, having it in person doesn’t make much of a difference at all. I’d rather be able to look at the online version, while displaying the mask or using it for mocing purposes.