[POLL] Licensed Themes VS Original Themes

whistles innocently

1 Like

Ok, let’s see this from another perspective:
What is LEGO was 100% licenced?
Let’s say there was no more Ninjago, no more Friends, no more Elves. And the only Yellow faced theme will remain city and creator. (LEGO won’t take the risk of completely retireing the Yellow Faces).
What will happen then?

Those who strongly said for Licensed themes answer here, if you don’t mind.

It wouldn’t change much. The biggest change is that we wouldn’t have lego related shows like Ninjago.

1 Like

Yes. If LEGO would do this they will be bankrupt within one year. Ask other people. LEGO should have at least one or two original themes…

First of, you said that in this scenario they would still have city and creator, which are two original themes. Second, they would not bankrupt, you are exagerating. If the original themes are making so much money, why are there so little remained?

Hmm… Then what if there was not even city and creator, and they will be replaced by a licenced city and a licenced creator?

And the fact that there are so little remained is actually what bothers me.

There are many other companies that survive without original themes. I can stop you thinking that these themes aren’t the savior of lego, but this is what I think.

What if anything was licenced, and there would be no more Yellow minifigures. Just flesh colored minifigs?

Meh. The yelllow fleshed figures are iconic, but I wouldn’t care THAT much.

The yellow faces are iconic, so LEGO would lose that, prices would probably raise a bit, and they’d have to accept for children’s themed licenses to make up for Ninjago and City.

I’d be a little sad to see Constraction nearly surely die, but Ninjago has to end at some point, and I’d be saltier if it lasts longer than Bionicle ever did than if they canceled it next week. Ninjago was a part of my childhood, but so were HeroFactory and the nonexistent Power Miners and Space Police sets in my shelves.

As of current, the only non-canceled, non-licensed themes I’ve been buying from lately are minifigure packs (though this could open up Marvel, Overwatch, and Star Wars packs, which I would buy quickly) and LEGO Movie sets, which are partially licensed anyways. So, in terms of my reapings, it wouldn’t affect me too much.

At the end of the day, I am pro-license because that is what I want to buy, not because I want non-licenses to end. Who knows? Maybe the next Bionicle is bound to be revealed in a month!

Thanks for asking that, it was interesting to think about.

2 Likes

So licensed themes are bad because it would be bad to only have licensed themes? No. It’s like saying that meat is bad because you can’t sustain yourself on meat alone. Licensed themes play a part in Lego’s lineup, just the same as original themes do.

2 Likes

This is just a something to think about. I know this will never happen, but What if LEGO was 100% licenced? Think how it would be and post.

Since the original topic I was going to post this on things went bad on…

3 Likes

The second example isn’t really that valid. I think those supposed to be two separate things.

2 Likes

One’s supposed to be the 2.0 version.

Destiny Bounty sets actually got pretty annoying after the fifth version.

3 Likes

Umm… We are barely at the third… (correct me if I am wrong). That is still far less than the Star Wars remakes, which is what the theme is made up of.
It’s also weird how instead of Star Wars sets that people actually want to be remade, they get something else instead, something they got already.

For example?

Everybody keeps asking for another Venator, and they never got another one besides the 2009 version (which was it’s first and last apparance)

2 Likes

I personally never heard of the set or of the demand for it.

THE VENATOR HAS A SET. Sorry for caps but this is the first I’ve seen of it and this is a glorious ship and deserves a modern remake.

I think your main issue is with Starwars and city, you keep comparing everything to these. They’re iconic and long running, it makes sense to update them.

2 Likes