[Poll] What if Bionicle was a System Theme?

Chima seemed to do it pretty well, and Star Wars certainly is.

I genuinelly do not think Constraction and System can co-exist in the same theme, unless the story somehow manages to integrate them into the story. For example Chimaā€™s constraction sets were pretty decent but they had little to no relevance and I think if Chima had gone with just CCBS it might have better been a hit or alternatively had the system sets gotten the budget and marketing funds used for constraction it couldā€™ve been better for the line IMHO.

You want to know the funniest part about this whole Bionicle system thing to me. Back in 2016 we were all against the idea of a G3 saying it wonā€™t happen, now weā€™re all open to have a G3 as long as itā€™s a system. It just seems like this fanbase likes to change its mood at the drop of a hat.

I feel that has more to do with G2ā€™s untimely demise (whether folks liked it or not). Plus I think with the recent use of Mixel joints in things like Sparks and Burnzie as well as the Mech Suits and Dragons in Elves, I think there some potential there at least. Itā€™s to me Bionicle has always been an Action Figure line and I think it works there the best, System could either hit a home run or fail abysmally worse than G2 did depending how Lego goes about itā€¦

1 Like

Star Wars is the perfect example of how they can.

They basically have two different lines going right now. Thereā€™s your basic System Star Wars sets, but then thereā€™s the massively popular constraction line. So I donā€™t think they have to be integrated together to make sense, itā€™s just another product of the same theme.

The constraction figures give you big, detailed characters. The System sets provide play and setting.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s a fair point.Though Iā€™d say that has more to do with the popularity of Star Wars and nigh instant recognizability of the characters. I think itā€™d be different with an IP because unlike Star Wars which pretty much markets itself with itā€™s movies and iconic characters that are well known by this point. Something lik Bionicle might not do so well in that regard. But thatā€™s just my thoughts.

2 Likes

Definitely wonā€™t disagree with you there. :wink:

1 Like

the one thing with the part about adding system sets to Bionicle, is that if they had to add in vehicles (because just animals and location sets would probably not be enough for kids) then i would prefer if they made the vehicles a mix of both primitive and advanced technology.

Imagine Bionicle G2 having system sets, and the skull villain vehicles was kind of a more technologic version of this attack wagon:

it would some what work, one just need to find the right mix of the primitive look and the technologic look.

2 Likes

Well thereā€™s a blast from the past.

2 Likes

Dang, itā€™s been a while.

With fresh ideas comes fresh opportunity.

I think this is a perfect idea because it bring a sense of scale to the line. I mean we had scale before but not on this level before. I was looking at this one Brickonicle MOC and I came to fully understand just how huge a Nui-Rama is to an average Matoran. Before I knew they were large enough to wear Kanohi, but I never fully realized how huge it is.

Vladekā€™s dark fortress, looks far better than the volcano lair. The volcano lair from Agents was pretty cool, though.

2 Likes

When I think about it, I think it would be more awesome to combine elements from both System, Technic and Constraction to make individual sets. Thereā€™s already epic MOCs on here that would put Hero Factory to shame.

1 Like

I donā€™t care for Bionicle as a System theme. When Lego revealed that their System themes have been stronger than ever in the later years, everyone jumped to the conclusion that being turned into a System theme is all Bionicle needs to be successful again, ignoring all the other factors that contributed to the success of themes such as Ninjago or Nexo Knights.
Themes like Ninjago and NK are built around simple, familiar concepts. You donā€™t have to explain what knights or ninjas are and even all these bizarre sci-fi elements arenā€™t that hard to grasp. Sure, Bionicle could be simplified to a similar level, but reducing its lore to weird elemental robots wearing tribal masks fighting evil wouldnā€™t change the fact itā€™s still a theme about weird elemental robots wearing tribal masks. That brings me to another point, I have a little challenge for you: name at least one Lego System theme that had all-robotic cast of characters. Most audiences see human protagonists as more relatable and compelling. Itā€™s the reason why most sci-fi and fantasy flicks are centered around humans, while aliens, robots, alien robots, orcs etc. usually serve the role of a comic relief or supporting characters. It also explains why most companies insisted on having a human child as the main hero of The Mask of Light.

2 Likes

There is no answer to this question. There are no System themes with an all-robotic cast. There are, however, plenty of System themes with non-human characters. Mixels and Chima come to mind. Hero Factory is a massive stretch if you want to consider their versions of the minfigure design.

Also, yeah, of course most audiences find human protagonists more relatable and compelling. Cause weā€™re all human. Even in BIONICLE, the characters had human emotions. Because it was written by humans for humans. Iā€™m not interested in a story about a duck or an emotionless robot.

4 Likes

Didnā€™t Chima eventually turn out a flop, though? With that said, the animal characters still carry a certain sense of familiarity and relatability (as evidenced by their popularity in the children-oriented media), so you canā€™t really compare them to robots, especially as aggressive-looking as Bionicle. Sure, the Bionicle characters could be made to look cuter/goofier but is it what we really want?

Thatā€™s because the TV show was utter garbage. The writing and acting were terrible, and the characters werenā€™t interesting. Ninjagoā€™s not a work of art, either, but it at least holds itself together as a narrative.

1 Like

Bionicle was super popular, so I donā€™t think thatā€™s an issue. Itā€™s just that in these years robots arenā€™t as popular as before. When they become popular again, Iā€™m sure a theme like Bionicle will work wonderfully.

1 Like

Well, it turns out it was. The movie companies approached by Lego mustā€™ve been anxious about releasing a movie without a human protagonist for a reason, so Iā€™d assume the early '00s werenā€™t that big on robots either.

[quote=ā€œEljay, post:141, topic:32062ā€]
Mixels and Chima come to mind.[/quote]
As I said, Chima featured anthropomorphic animals and theyā€™re a commonplace in childrenā€™s fiction. Theyā€™re also a much more relatable and down-to-earth concept than alien robots. Try recommending Zootopia to someone, then try doing the same with a Bionicle movie, and see the results for yourself (sure, I know it also might be the matter of the actual quality of the writing).
Sure, there are robots whose design is cute and will probably appeal to a large number of people of any age. Like this. Or this. However, robots like this or this (which are much closer to the Bionicle visual language) either accompany the humans or are their enemies. The Bionicle movies tried to make the Matoran and the Toa look cuter and more expressive by giving them large eyes and mouths but many people I knew at the time insisted that the characters were still a bit ugly and alien-looking.

And Iā€™m not trying to discourage anyone from doing their concept art of Bionicle as a System theme (theyā€™re not my cup of tea but theyā€™re cute and all, I guess) but the notion that some of you (not all of you, though) seem to have jumped from ā€˜G2 was a flop, donā€™t expect G3 anytime soonā€™ to ā€˜G3 will do just fine, just make it a System themeā€™ is what I find ridiculous. First, youā€™re setting yourself up for disappointment here. Second, as I said, you seem to ignore many important factors that contributed to the success of themes such as Ninjago or Nexo Knights.

2 Likes