Possible 2018 Standalone CCBS/Constraction Theme?

Is that why? Is that indicative of success?

Are they?

2 Likes

but lego kept things so secretive for so long and then when lego announced that they were bringing back bionicle people barely knew about it since they were telling people when to talk about bionicle

people didnt know about g2 because they did 0.0000000001 marketing

6 Likes

but why did they barely market it? why?

Bionicle was sold nearly worldwide, so for a mediocre Lego theme let’s say 2-3 million bought at least a set

You’re telling me that a majority of those who did buy the sets were adults who want to relive their lives

And @Asriel summed up marketing quite well :joy:

@TealFire Lego ≠ brains in some ways a lot of the time

2 Likes

those 2-3 million sets sold were from g1, g2 barely sold any why else did g2 not even last the standard 3 years a lego theme gets?

ArE yOu SuRe It WaS aZaNi?

6 Likes

@Azani has done for advertising for lego than lego has actually done! keep up the GREAT WORK!

No, it’s a really tough, fine line; there will be leaks, undoubtedly, and yet there’s a certain boundary that can’t be crossed. Right now, I don’t want to make it sound like I feel like the folks in this thread can’t handle it; it’s more of a concern over how small statements may be taken out of context, as they were in that one message of mine. I’ll describe my thoughts if I can substantiate them a little more; after all, it’s been less than a week.

Exactly. Although, LEGO doesn’t explain most of their decisions to the public. Which makes a lot of sense, insofar as they need to maintain a distinct advantage over their competitors.

What?

3 Likes

their decisions are based on if something makes money

No, you don’t understand what he’s saying. Leaks are not good for TLG, and I’m sorry to say this, but you’re not going to unequivocally convince anyone.

5 Likes

if knock offs make sets based on leaks, lego can just sue those companies since those companies don’t have agreements to the licenses lego uses and that includes original themes

TealFire 1st year of G1 made £100 million, divided by £10 (I’m guessing the average price of a 2001 set) that makes 10 million sets sold

So 2-3 million people buying sets over 2 years of G2 is peanuts, especially since Lego’s market has increased due to its higher popularity and more children. So I don’t know how you can say

BTW, I said people who bought sets, not sets sold. If Bionicle G2 only sold 1 million sets in its first year I doubt it would have even got a 3rd year. That is dismal performance

@Asriel we both know who I meant :wink:

4 Likes

Leaks also give competitors and knock off companies something to copy

(Not a good thing)

5 Likes

so you admit g2 was a failure sales wise at least when compared to bionicle g1’s sales?

Where did I state otherwise? G1 was a rare phenomenon sales wise

3 Likes

Yeah, TLG doesn’t often release sales figures, but a 2003 internal bulletin announced that they were selling a “Bionicle can every second”. Seriously.

One million units sold is awful for TLG; heck, prior to G2’s launch in January of 2015, they had likely made the decision to ship more than that number to retailers.

5 Likes

so why did lego barely market it if it succeeded so much back in the early 2000s?

They over estimated the amount of G1 fans who would buy into it[quote=“Azani, post:265, topic:40794”]
2003 internal bulletin announced that they were selling a "Bionicle can every second
[/quote]

Ahh yes I remember that one, good times G1 had

3 Likes

Here’s the thing: this isn’t the topic to discuss this. In this subforum, there are a number of open topics that would handle this discussion much more smoothly and appropriately.

3 Likes