Sokodas set concepts Minifigure design explanations and questions

Hello Sokoda here again,
in the last couple of months, I started doing my set concepts here on the messageboards. When I started I just wantet to show the little set idea I head, but I had a blast talking to you about it and so I went ahead and built one set for each region, and I’m very thankfull for your reception.
In my last set I have written in the description, that it would be my last set for this “season”, but I would maybe post a little surprise: In this topic I want to talk a bit about my the design ideas I had for the minifigures, which I think could give some inspiration for the final Rahkshi and Matoran designs.
I also want to ask some questions, for the cast and the community, how I should go on with my set concepts and say what I think is important about the minifigure designs.

1. My little Surprise
I promised a little surprise and here it is, becaue I have now done a minifigure version of every Toa, every Rahkshi and quite some Matoran I decided to do some classic BIONICLE group shots as a comparision to their G1 counter part. I think seeing the minifigures in a group makes them look a lot more allive and it shows the differences and similaritys of G1 and G3 very good. So here comes the images:

Toa:

Rahkshi

Matoran

1. The Rahkshi designs

For my Rahksi designs I wanted to do the leg constructions as close as possible to the casts and @Oomatu s designs, while also trying to make them as unique as possible, which is why I tried to differenciate Panrahks and Turahks leg construction as much as could, while keeping the design. I didn’t do Kuhrahk as an Axl-fig, because at the time I made this set, it wasn’t that sure if he would be and it also wasn’t possible to do Axl-figs on LDD (it still doesn’t really work).
My torso prints all follow the same concept, but with some uniqe design elements and some G1 references, I did that to make tham look more like a unit, althoug they have very distinct body-types

(explanaton of my Rahkshi torso concept)

(explanation of their Rahkshi-element specific lines/designs)

2. The Matoran designs
My basa idea behind my Matoran design was, that the Toa is a completed form of a Matoran. I tried to show that, by giving them similar plated armor on their chest, but showing a lot of mechanic pieces. My idea was, that the matoran lack some of the armor a Toa has, which results in seeing more of their inner mechanic functionality, which also makes them look more voulnerable than the Toa.
I also tried to incoperate some constraction pieces in their design (like gears an ball joints) to reference the old building system.
All my Matoran follow some design rules, so they have a clear distinction from the Toa: For example not having arm printig (which makes them less detailed then the Toa, and LEGO always tries to avoid arm printing) and a black background

(My matoran “design rules”)

4. My opinion on minifigure designs
in this section I want to say some things that in my opinion should be thought about, for the official Matoran and Rahkshi designs:

4.1. Arm and leg printing:
LEGO most of the time tries to avoid arm printing and printing on the side of the legs (especially in their original lines), because it reduces the price of the minifigure. The official Toa designs all have arm printing, which I think is totally ok, because thei are the main characters, but I think it is very likely that LEGO wouldn’t give the Matoran and maybe even the Rahkshi arm printing and printing on the side o the legs.
I think not having arm printing could benefit the Matoran design, because it would make them look more simple
4.2 Leg printing down to the foot
Anothe thing I have noticed, which is very similar to my statement above is the leg printing on the front. With the canon Toa designs the printing on the front of the leg is on the complete leg, but for most minifigures the printig stops a little bit over the foot

(exaple image)

4.3 A personal matter
I know the cast wants to do Kurahk as an Axl-figure and I totally like the design, but at the moment, I don’t think it is possible to do one on LDD. I have already done Onua with a lot of image manipulation and it is a lot of work, this is why I would be happy if he wasn’t an Axl-figure, but if you decide to go with this design, I totally understand and I will find ome way to do it^^.

5. Questions
While doing my set consepts, I had some questions and now that my first wave is done I think it’s a good time to ask them, I hope to get some feedback or ideas from the cast and the community:

1. How are the Mask of Time pieces going to look like in set form?
  2. Which masks do exist except for the 6 Toa masks and how do they look, because you have to realize that every mask is a new mold and I think there will be at least one more for the Rahkshi?
  3. How are vehicles going to be handeled, should I do more, because LEGO would do them or should I do less, because they don’t always fit the BIONICLE style?
  4. When are we getting the canon Matoran and Rahkshi designs, should I wait with more set concepts or use my old designs?
  5. Does anyone know another render program that has a similar quality and lets you add decals? Because the one I use takes very long to do the renders. I heard it could be done with blender, if someone has expierince with that I would be happy to hear about it.
  6. Are there the Matoran in the Brotherhood of Makuta frozen in time as well, or could they be servants of the Rahkshi?

I hope I could provide you some insight in my concepts behind the minifigure designs and I’m looking forward to hearing your opinion on what I said and the questions I asked

Sokoda

47 Likes

While I haven’t really gotten into G3 a while lot, this post along with some others have peaked my interest! I always like seeing the creative process behind anything and these insight were great!

Sokoda, Back at it again with the season finale! Amazing work mate! I’ve got a little bit of stuff planned for a finale too but nothing as in depth as this.

Oh man, this is so much fun to read, and those Rahkshi images - I think it’s the first time that they’ve all been portrayed together in G3 - are so cool.

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing those questions answered, and I’m fairly sure that you’ve had a substantial effect on the final process Sokoda. You’re just that good.

@Sanokal Thanks, for your comment, I hope my questions get some attention, because I think they are really important for future set concepts

@Kardax can’t wait to see what you have planned

2 Likes

@Sokoda, I have been looking into ways to add prints in Simlab Composer and have discovered the program does indeed include a tool specifically for adding decals (which is easy to use and means you can put them on any surface).

Sounds really cool

1 Like

Let’s just say it involves a large door, mo’ wings, Hafu originals and maybe a bear.

Actually some banner art too.

Sounds like an awesome combination

1 Like

I actually made a concept for this in my set pitch (which I mentioned earlier).

Are your designs canon yet?

hey Sokoda, i am planning on a series 2 collection of Rahkshi weapon images, and i was wondering if you could explain what some of the weapons that Guurahk, Turahk, Lerahk and Kurahk are using in this image:

1 Like

Of cause, may of these were befor your weapon concepts, so I just thought what would look cool.
1. Kurahk: His weapon is basically a normal metal staff, but he can use his elemental ice powers to creata whatever blade he wants outof ice
2. Lerahk: He uses what in my mind works like a large poisoned knife (like in your first concept, but larger), thats why he holds it in that way.
3. Guurahk: Because Guurahks element is water, I wanted to do a trident style weapon, but it could also work as a spear by using it the oter way around (with his spike on the end).
**4. Turahk:**For Turahk I was thinking I wanted him to give him a very classic G1 Rahkshi weapon, becaue he is the leader. It’s just a handle with blades on the ends. I think it works for his character, becaues he is a Mangaian warrior and that means he is very skilled in classic melee combat.
You didn’t ask for Panrahk, but I think I should talk about him too^^^. I decided not to give him any weapon, because in my mind al the Rahkshi were transformed in part-rahi, and Panrahk doens’t use any weapons, because he is the most animalistic.

@TridahkMaster No they aren’t. The Toa use the official designs, except for their weapons

2 Likes

A cool idea would be that they were mutated into Yellow rahkshi (completely humanoid but with rahkshi-like heads) and serve the rahkshi.

Also, for korahk, use the design for Onua by opening the file for vorahk’s devourer and Chang it to then save it again as a different file.

Yeah if they decide to make Kurahk an axl-fig, I will re purpose my onua images, but this will limit the poses in which I can show him

I like these unifying designs. And the weapons work well too.

These are all really cool, I love your designs and I think the style works really well and your adaptation of the Toa designs to the Matoran designs look great. One thing I would just like to say (that you’ve probably heard before) is that I really don’t think you should make loads of vehicles, which would essentially make it into Ninjago. That being said I did things like the Motara Caravan and the Naho Boat (rather than Kurakhs Snowmobile or Vorahks Devourer) as they feel much more like something you’d find in BIONICLE rather than LEGO’s generic action themes. Anyway, great work as always.

Really appreciate your comment thats one of the reasons I made this topic to find out what kind of set concepts the community would like to see

I think that there’s been an unintentional trend here. I personally like the idea of snowmobiles, but the more advanced stuff all seems to come from the Rahkshi. Brotherhood science, maybe?

They are paired up with a Great Being, who in G1 designed vehicles, and there’s no Nuparu for the Toa