Solo: A Star Wars Story discussion topic

Fanfiction writers change that stuff anyway. The reason I mention this is becuase it was a writer for solo that said it.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think that particular detail fits in with Lando’s personality.

2 Likes

Still the “muh representation” is too transparent for me to support.

1 Like

I get that, and even agree with it to some extent. But the movie apparently makes very little of it (from what I hear it’s just the screenwriter’s opinion). I don’t know if that amounts to enough to stop supporting Lucasfilm. After all, having Star Wars is better than not having it, IMO…

1 Like

Well if I’m proven wrong then I’m wrong but that’s what it sounds like to me. After the last Jedi and everything I stopped hearing good things from lucasfilms.

3 Likes

So I’ve seen it today and, other than the beginning, I really liked it! But at the end of the movie I had more unanswered questions than I had before I saw it. Holly crap, Darth Maul is back! And Qi’ra is with him! We need to know what happened next so, unless it is explained in Episode IX, the Boba Fett movie would explain it.

1 Like

I saw Solo today and I found it to be entertaining.

[spoiler]There was nothing I blatantly disliked and nothing that blew my mind. However, good decisions were made in this movie. I appreciated Darth Maul’s appearance and to me, it seems increasingly likely that he will get his own spin off movie at some point in the future. Overall I liked the characters and acting in this film. Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover did well but Paul Bettany performed excellently. Solo entertained me and I enjoyed watching it because there was a lot of action and it explored the gritty crime aspect of Star Wars.

I think where the film fell short for me was that it could not match the emotional involvement of any of Disney’s previous Star Wars films, but especially The Last Jedi. There were deaths and sacrifices, but emotion was certainly not the main objective in mind for the audience.

As a side note, I liked how the opening crawl was changed for this movie. [/spoiler]

Overall I enjoyed it and would recommend as long as you are prepared for an entertaining movie, but not a particularly deep one.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. It was a perfectly enjoyable sidestory that didn’t really harm anything. Lando possibly loving a droid was a bit too weird for me though. In fact, the droid was my main issue with the movie. I mean, the question of droid rights has always been around in the fanbase, but this was just… awkward. I’d recommend, especially for clone wars fans. If nothing else, it had nice worldbuilding. AND HAN SHOT FIRST!

2 Likes

So I saw Ranger Solo today. It was probably the second best out the Disney Star Wars films. It mostly gets better as it goes along but it does drag a bit towards the end. I think the actor for Han did a mostly good job, but I still think he was miscast. He just doesn’t have the same charm that Harrison Ford had, and while finding a perfect replacement would be impossible, I still think they could’ve done better. The rest of the cast, on the other hand, I think was really good. I also think they tried to explain too much in this movie. Pretty much everything we know about Han prior to Episode IV is explained in this movie. Overall I think it’s a 6/10

I liked that Darth Maul had a cameo towards the end, but people who haven’t seen Clone Wars or know what happens in it are gonna be really confused.

2 Likes

I saw the movie on Friday and it was enjoyable. 7/10.

1 Like

Ok first, what’s wrong with Lando (sorta) being pansexual? technically he’s attracted to a sentient being, so I wouldn’t precisely compare it.

(EDIT: Well a Writer/ The Actor said it so I suppose it’s canon. (not that I have a problem with it, I actually agree with this post;))

Second, I kind of agree that was the point of the character but I found her entertaining and semi-engaging throughout the movie.

You people cannot be pleased.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily disagree with Lando being pansexual (aside from the fact that it’s kind of a useless term). What bothers me about is they didn’t make Lando pan in order to make the story better. Hell, it never even comes up in the movie. They just did it for publicity and to seem ‘progressive’.

2 Likes

While the discussion has been pretty civil, I think we ought to wrap up the Lando discussion here as it will probably devolve into a political discussion quite quickly. Feel free to discuss it on another website, but as per the rules political/religious discussion is not allowed on the boards.

5 Likes

Just got back from watching the film–while I certainly think it has its flaws, overall it exceeded my expectations, and was a fun experience with a lot of heart and some interesting twists and turns:

Starting from the beginning, I did think the Corellia scenes were a bit slow. There wasn’t much depth to them, though the scene where Han and Qi’ra are separated was well done, and I love the origin of the name Solo.

The war scenes where Han meets Beckett and his crew were fantastic–I loved the gritty, intense warfare and the atmosphere of chaos that contributed to Han’s desertion. I also enjoy the way Han met Chewie. The train heist was a fun sequence, and while I wasn’t emotionally moved by the deaths of Val and Rio, I was surprised, and I think the intent of their deaths was to evoke a feeling of peril, which did work for me.

Dryden Vos was a very interesting character, and I think he should have had a greater role in the film. His relationship with Qi’ra was intriguing, but I do wish it was explained a bit more, as that would have made her betrayal of him more impactful in the end. Donald Glover was spot-on as Lando, giving a near-perfect impression of Billy Dee Williams. L3 was also fun, and I loved how her integration with the Falcon’s systems explains the ship’s unique “personality,” which was referenced in the OT. The Kessel Run sequence was really fun and nostalgic, and made all the more exciting by the addition of a truly horrific monster that will haunt my nightmares.

I wasn’t entirely sold on the characters of Enfys Nest and her marauders. I felt like they were less developed than they needed to be, making their alignment with Han and his group a bit hard to believe. I very much enjoyed the numerous double-crossings of the final battle sequence, as many of them were unexpected (even Beckett’s, which I should have seen coming from a mile away). Han’s cleverness was really well used in this scene, as he made his lack of deception an actual deception, which was fun.

Unfortunately, due to the stupidity of Internet headlines, I had the Maul cameo spoiled for me ahead of time. Still, it was really exciting to see him on the big screen again, and he looked amazing. I adore the fact that they included his signature lightsaber from Star Wars Rebels, and that Sam Witwer was brought back to voice him, along with Ray Park to be his physical body. I really hope that they develop this in further films, as Maul is a great character, and deserves a greater film presence to counteract his pathetic role in TPM.

Overall, I was impressed by Solo. I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a fine job as Han, capturing his humor and rebelliousness, but also his inner goodness and heart. While this film is definitely not the greatest Star Wars film, it is far from the worst, and I think it deserves more credit than it’s being given.

EDIT: I also now totally understand why Darth Maul was released as a CCBS figure alongside the Solo sets. To think, they were telling us what to expect all along! Definitely getting the vibe that more of Maul is on the way in the near future!

5 Likes

This film was my favorite out of all the Disney Star Wars films, and for one reason: the main cast of characters weren’t lackluster this time.

Rogue One and the Sequel Films’ problems were a weaker cast for the most part (sans Kylo Ren, Krennic, and Galen Erso). It’s made me sorta dread the sequel films, because this movie made me realize I’m not as emotionally invested with them and I fear they might not carry the film.

Meanwhile, Solo’s focus on it’s character and rather small plot was what led me to really like it. It’s a great origin story for Han Solo, and even was a good way to introduce some amazing side characters. Beckett was fantastic, Qi’ra was enjoyable (kinda boring though), and Dryden Vos was a wonderful villain. I even liked how they handled Han and Chewie’s relationship in here. It was written quite well.

Which makes me sad that people are boycotting this film and that it’s under-preforming. It’s going to be treated like the prequels, where people hate on it, but I think it deserves more credit.

4 Likes

I was kind of skeptical at first, but I overall preferred it to Rogue One. The characters were more compelling, and it was nice to see a Star Wars film focusing on smugglers and thieves, which haven’t had a spotlight in the movies. Plus the references and Easter eggs were glorious. My main problem with the film was that while the film was well written, it tries too hard to have a dark and gritty tone like Rogue One, and doesn’t fit that tone as well.

1 Like

lol before I make my review someone tell me how to do spoiler text.

wow, people think that the imperial battle scene was good because it was gritty and intense? It’s good because it was sort of overwhelmingly hilarious, it really works as a contrast to Solo’s life up until this point.

1 Like

Just saw it! Now it’s time to say my usually controversial opinions and notes.

First off, I really liked it! Tied with RO for my favorite, I think the fact that it didn’t need to exist made it awesome to me, as they have so much freedom and wouldn’t get so much backlash if it did poorly. The fact that Disney is writing their own “legends” I very much love and appreciate.

[spoiler]All right, quick list of random highlights that made me really like the references:

Pykes! One of my favorite species, seeing it on the big screen was great.

Enfys Nest. Ahhhhhhh she was AMAZING! The way she felt dangerous just from her marauders’ (sorry, rebels) theme, and when she turned out just to be a little older than I am, and her weapon… Thumbs up!

Warwick Davis! We got a face and a line! Well, a line in English with the accent and everything.

Rio. :persevere:

We got mentioning of both Aurra and Bossk! Rip Sing.

Rodian and Tognath in Nest’s gang

The escape craft that turned out not to just be a Lego function!

The goats. I really like goats.

The singing squid.

GNK Droid rebellion!

L3- The whole “robot rights” thing was humorous, I didn’t take it very seriously at all, but it reminds me of Overwatch. Also, in ESB C-3P0 “talks” to the Falcon… :wink:

Sabacc- Really well done, I like it. Glad we saw Han win the Falcon.

Kessel Run- Really cool, perfect for Han’s character to “round down”.

Mandalorian Armor in yacht- While it’s not Boba Fett, it satisfied me.

Just the clicking sound of Darth Maul’s robot legs made me so excited! Oh, I guess that’s Darth Maul.

The WWI esthetic of Mimban (Where Han met Chewie) was amazing! I think the trench warfare, gas masks, and everything was pretty cool!

The fact that my Quilan theory was completely wrong as far as we know and was never mentioned. Actually, that was a little annoying.
[/spoiler]