Sonic the hedgehog (film) - 2019

So, they “fixed” it.

I’m not really that much more excited for this. Yes, he doesn’t look like an abomination anymore, but he certainly doesn’t look good either. There are so many shots where he just looks blatantly slapped ontop of a scene. This was always going to be a problem with this movie, but you can see how rushed it was.

And along with that… I just can’t stand this dialogue, I’m sorry. It’s just cringe. Without the previous context, I probably would’ve watched the first 10 seconds, rolled my eyes, and then clicked off and never watched it again. As it stands… I got up to the redone “meow” scene and just couldn’t anymore. I was blatantly confronted by a side-by-side of the original and it was just too weird for me.

This is a movie people are just going to forget in a few years, barring maybe the gangsta’s paradise remixes. I doubt I’ll bother watching it unless it shows up on netflix the year after and I have nothing better to do with my time. It’s still so blatantly corporate, and I’ve been burned too many times by this franchise to put my faith in something so… meh.

I just don’t understand why they insist on making the same story every single time, especially when I know for a fact this series has more to offer than a budget knockoff of the Smurfs movie. Well, I do: it’s safe. But it’s just annoying.

1 Like

This doesn’t mean it has to look like bad CGI.
Look at Detective Pikachu.

Ey! So I am not the only one who thinks he still doesn’t look good.
We should have a PM some time.

Either this, or will become The Room of the 20s.

I loved the Smurfs.

1 Like

Detective Pikachu may have good CGI, but I don’t think it looks good, either. It may just be me, but look at Ludicolo. I hate his design. It’s Chewbacca Psyduck. At least Sonic looks like he came from a video game. (I also haven’t seen Pikachu)

Perhaps his design isn’t finished, either. Sony may have just wanted to show us their unfinished product. Things can change.

There’s no way. Already, it’s gone from a meme to something being worshiped (but still a meme in a good way), as well as featuring a highly popular franchise, using some recognizable actors, made by a famous/infamous studio, and being advertised crazily. This movie will not be forgotten very easily.

You haven’t seen the movie

This looks better than the Smurfs

1 Like

First of all, it’s Paramount, and even if that was the case, somehow I doubt they’re going to be able to do much before February rolls around.

Memes die. It’s just what they do.

That doesn’t guarantee people are going to remember it, it just guarantees that people will watch it. I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 and I can’t tell you a single thing that happened in that movie.

And? Again, watch, not remember.

And yet I’ve seen it several times already, it’s like watching the trailer to the Emoji Movie. Sure, it might surprise me, but somehow I doubt it.

Not really

I doubt that either. This is way too safe barring the hilarious slip-up on the animation team’s part which has now been fixed anyway to be classed in that category.

The Drake format would to speak with you

3 Likes

Epic sax guy is still epic change my mind

1 Like

Rick Rolling has something to say.

2 Likes

Also the portal scene

2 Likes

Just remembered

The ring portal thing he uses in the trailer is basically from the old SatAM/Archie comics and some of the other continuities right?

2 Likes

Some memes die out, true; others get immortalized, like the ones people listed here, among many others.

I could

One example doesn’t counter the point. It just means that you, specifically, don’t remember that specific movie. Most movies from popular franchises are remembered. Sure, it doesn’t guarantee anything, but it’s a lot more likely than you think.

Rings were used as power-ups/points before this, but the arChie comics were the first time we saw Sonic use the rings to teleport.
<Source: I pulled this information out of my butt.>

~W12~

2 Likes

No one ever said a Sonic movie was going to be some transcendental experience.

It’s a dumb kid’s movie, of course no one is going to remember it. No one is going to see it because they want to see some deep personal revelations. It’s a comedy film with some dumb jokes and some entertaining action scenes. And that’s all a Sonic movie really needs to be: charmingly fun.

The thing that’s good now is that at least it can be descent at what it’s aiming to do. The last design was so low-energy and so much of an abomination that it’s hard to imagine even children enjoying themselves. At least with this, the character that we’re being promised we’ll see is actually that character.

######I’m so glad that finally some other human being besides me is versed enough in deep Sonic lore to acknowledge this. Everyone always says the teleport ring is the Special Stage ring, but there are rings that are literally teleportation devices in the Archie comics that function the exact same way: you throw them and they open a portal to another place.

5 Likes

I don’t feel like this is one with particularly major longevity.

I’d go with exceedingly bland, but that’s mostly a matter of opinion.

I’m not asking for a profound movie, all I’m asking is for a movie which is actually a Sonic movie, rather than a carbon copy of another movie with Sonic’s face slapped on top of it.

Do you think this movie is going to feature the Chaos Emeralds? I don’t. Will this movie feature any other Sonic characters aside from the two we’ve been shown? If they are, it’ll probably be sequel bait. Do you think they’re going to make any use of the environmentalist motif in the background of the games that Sonic SatAM did? Absolutely not.

Take the Ratchet and Clank movie. Was it good? Hell no, it was kind of dull, but it tried. It actually just made it an animated movie because that’s better for the art design as opposed to trying to force it into the real world when nobody’s asking them to, they tried to capture that world and those characters and the funny little references (the playstation start up gag cracked me up, that was great). It was a Ratchet and Clank movie. It wasn’t a good one, but it was a Ratchet and Clank movie.

This is not a Sonic movie, and unless some startling revelation comes out about it, I refuse to acknowledge it as such.

Of course, I could be completely wrong on these points and they’re just playing an extreme long game and lulling us into a false sense of security. But I highly doubt it.

I mean… The Bumblebee movie also fits the points you made.
The story was also told numerous times.
Aside for Bumblebee, Shatter and Dropkick we didn’t see any other legacy character (I mean we knew about Blitzwing and some of the ones that showed in the start, but we also knew that they will be background; I am actually expecting at least a mention of Tails and Knuckles).
The trailers weren’t exactly showing anything stelar, cashing in on the OG transformer fans.
Etc.
And yet, here it is. And its awesome.

I might need to clarify that the Iron Giant is also a good movie. It’s also got its own elements to set it apart from that movie. Cybertron, Charlie’s backstory with her father, etc.

And Soundwave, and Optimus Prime, and Ironhide, and the seekers, and… I don’t really see your point here. The trailers showed plenty.

They also weren’t showing the usual bayformers nonsense, which was more than enough to put me in the theatre. It looked like it would actually have some kind of heart to it, unlike this.

I also object to this ridiculous notion that kid’s movies get a free pass to be lazy piles of garbage because they’re for children. Some of my favourite films are kid’s movies: How To Train Your Dragon, Treasure Planet, the Lego Movie, Kung Fu Panda 2. Just because they’re for children, that doesn’t somehow bar them from having beautiful scores (okay, maybe not the Lego Movie, but everything is awesome still fricken bops), breathtaking visuals and compelling characters.

Kid’s movies have moved me with the unbridled freedom of flight, and adventure, and brought me to tears over a gosh darned panda. So excuse me, if I object to a whole swathe of films being dumped under that one banner.

If you just want dumb fun in any genre, that’s perfectly fine. I like some dumb fun every now and then, I just object to that particular defence on a conceptual level :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was talking about the Iron Giant. I was talking about the now classic troop (did I spell that properly?): an awkward, alien being shows up on Earth, befriends a human, they get to share their life stories, and they aid eatch other sentimentally or physically till the climax of the movie.

Ironhide wasn’t even in the movie.

But just as I said, we knew that they will be backgrounds. Aside for Blitzwing, they were only there to amaze the eye.
You can argue that at least the trailers of the Bumblebee movie actually showed other characters, instead of just letting it for the theorists like the ones for Sonic do, and you wouldn’t be wrong, but in the end there wasn’t really that big of a difference.

Here I am fully on your side btw
Also I kinda enjoyed all of the Bayverse

Yes he was. I will admit that he wasn’t a good pick in my example because he wasn’t in any major group shots, but he is there (and generally around in other shots even if he’s hard to see). It’s annoying though because I swear he had a voice credit before. Maybe his bit just got cut… Ah well.

No :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, yeah, I’ll give you that one. I do feel like this particular subtrope that tries to deliberately force that plot point into a franchise where it doesn’t belong is still annoying though :stuck_out_tongue:

But the thing about that is that it’s also a fundamental part of the Transformers story that they go to Earth. You could even argue that first scene is an homage to the very beginning of the first episode of the G1 cartoon, where they have a battle as the Autobots escape Cybertron (albeit the battle lines were drawn in a slightly different place). Here… it’s just because.

It’s not that it cannot work in any scenario ever, it’s that it doesn’t work for Sonic. Not in my opinion anyway.

Oh…
For Christ’s sake and that was my favourite scene! How could I miss Ironhide?

That was serious tho

This… Doesn’t really change the fact that the Autobots did not played any big role, and that if Sonic’s crew show up they will play a similar role.

Bumblebee is also a spinoff. As great as it was, it was never supposed to be a big meaty Transformers title with a bunch of characters to clutter up the central plot between Bee and Charlie. This movie is supposed to be Sonic’s big debut on the silver screen, and there’s absolutely no sign of his extended cast. That bothers me. Maybe I’m just an elitist, but I’d much rather have Sonic and Tails’ dynamic than this generic pairing with a human character who I have no interest in at all.

“Trope”

Thanks

And also a franchise-starter, just like Sonic.

Key word: Sonic’s
Sonic
Not his crew, Sonic.
I mean, it would be downright weird if they would call it something cheesy like “Sonic and friends”, but I find it normal that this movie would be dedicated entirely for him, and that if others show up they would be only background or mentioned.

Marvel did something like that