Spider-Man: Homecoming

See, it’s these little things that make me think that Marvel’s Spidey will be the best, most accurate one yet. For example, let’s look at the posters for the previous Spider-Man movies:

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man 3

ASM 1

ASM 2

These posters all have something in common–they all show Spidey in various dramatic or action-y poses, facing off against villains, saving someone, or just leaping out at the viewer. That’s fine and all, but I don’t know if we’ve ever seen a poster that captures the more lighthearted side of Spidey, as this one does. With this poster, you can tell that they’re going for a more adventurous, exciting vibe, rather than the intense and sometimes overly dark vibes that the other posters bring to mind.

I’m not saying the other movies skimped on the fun aspect of Spider-Man, but I think this new take is a refreshing one, at least showing that Marvel is willing to step away from the more action-packed, high-intensity posters that they usually do in favor of something simpler and more character-oriented.

8 Likes

I just hope its tonally the same as Spider-Man 1 and 2.

4 Likes

Definitely agree. The two best Spider-Man movies, by far…

2 Likes

The new poster looks kinda like some of the posters for Deadpool, or that is what it reminds me of.

1 Like

Well, it’s unpopular opinion time. I’ll just come right out and say it, I don’t really like the Rami films. I know it’s cool to hate on 3 (which I’ve never seen), but I don’t really care for the first two. For someone who hasn’t read a comic book (besides Star Wars) in his life, and so doesn’t really have any ground to stand on when it comes to saying how this comic character should be in a movie, I think that the Rami films missed the mark on what Spidey is. I feel like they took themselves WAY too seriously, and I didn’t care for any of the actors (except for J.J.J.). After watching both I kinda just went ‘meh’.

Here’s unpopular opinion #2. I think Homecoming’s tone should be closer to what TASM2 was going for. While not a perfect movie, I feel like it pulled off the seriousness while mixing in Spidey’s wit and banter. It had it’s dark moments, but knew when to be funny. Obvious plot issues aside, I still think TASM2 was a better Spider-Man movie than all three of the Rami films.

If that poster is anything to go by, it looks like it’ll be able to do Spidey justice just as Civil War did.

5 Likes

I liked some parts of the Amazing films, I just think they missed the mark on Spidey, which is the responsibility part.

Raimi did NOT take Spider-Man seriously. He made the characters realistic and, IMO got Spider-Man’s character better.

I didn’t really like either, tbh.
Raimi’s Spidey never talked in fights, no banter.
That’s just not right.
Amazing got that, but it was just OK.
Civil War Spidey was absolutely perfect. I want more of that, and that’s probably what we’re getting.

1 Like

Except he did at times. Spider-Man 2 especially had this when he went against Doc Ock the first time. Spider-Man very well knows when to be serious. He usually quips in battles he knows he can win, or at least hopes he can. However, when something is VERY serious or life-threatening, he has to be serious. That’s how he’s been forever.

Amazing Spider-Man made it way too obnoxious.

(Honestly, I really used to like the Amazing Spider-Man films, but I can’t help but start to dislike them the more I view them. They just don’t feel right.)

2 Likes

There was some very funny banter in the first Raimi Spider-Man. The scene of Green Goblin fighting Spidey at the Daily Bugle comes to mind–but then, JK Simmons was in that scene, and he’s amazing.

If Marvel doesn’t cast him as JJJ again I’ll cry

Still, I agree that TASM and TASM2 had a more witty Spider-Man, whereas the Raimi films had a better Peter Parker. I just don’t think Andrew Garfield can pull off the nerdy look–not with that hair :stuck_out_tongue:

Tom Holland, however, is a dream come true for any Spidey fan, IMO. He’s got it all.

5 Likes

Sadly, they can’t, because he’s playing Jim Gordon.

Yeah, I know…:weary:

Still, if that role isn’t major (i.e. he gets killed off which isn’t unlikely, given the trajectory of the DCEU right now ) he could show up in the sequel to Homecoming…plus, he has expressed interest in returning to the role.

IMO, if he can’t be brought on, they shouldn’t bother doing JJJ at all. No one can top him, so they might as well just excise the Daily Bugle, or have it be a minor part of the plot, with JJJ being sort of a background character that isn’t shown in the movie. Until they can actually get Simmons, that is…

EDIT: New info on casting!

As many have suspected in recent weeks, Zendaya is not playing a character named “Michelle,” but has in fact been cast as MJ Watson.

I have to say, I’m not as sure about this one–not at all because of her ethnicity, but because I’ve become so accustomed to the character having red hair (of course, they could dye it, so my uncertainty is likely premature).

4 Likes

Gosh I hope this rumor isn’t true. It’s bad enough that she’s even in the movie, but her possibly playing MJ? Ughhhh…

1 Like

Well, I wouldn’t lose much hope yet. Sure, she isn’t well-known, and she likely will have a lot of pressure on her shoulders playing a character who is so well-known to Spidey fans, but with a good script, director, and good castmates (which Marvel has consistently provided) even someone unknown can do well.

Pffft. That’s not what I worry about. She was in a Disney Channel show that my sister liked and she irritated me to death (the actress, not my sister). So hearing that she’s in the film did not excite me.

1 Like

I bet she’ll be fine as MJ I think the reason she was terrible in that show was the lines that they gave her not so much her acting
Then again I have not seen much of her and all I really know is the stuff I was forced to watch with my sister

1 Like

True, but it’s the Disney Channel–being annoying is pretty much a requirement for all of their popular characters :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

A good director and script can make an actor shine or make them utterly wooden and stiff. Take the Star Wars prequels, for example. I don’t think many people would consider Natalie Portman a bad actress, but aside from a few scenes in Episode III, her character always came off as stilted and boring to me. Most of that is because of George Lucas’ direction (he’s always been said to have two main critiques on-set, “Faster” and “More Intense”), not her skill as an actress. If you aren’t given any feedback on a role, for whatever reason, you won’t improve. But Marvel has consistently hired directors who know what they’re doing and know how to bring together a diverse group of actors, so I think it’ll be okay…

4 Likes

I really hope they keep her very secretive until some homecoming dance comes along. Then, Aunt May introduces MJ at the doorstep, and MJ says the famous “Face it tiger, you hit the jackpot!”

Oh man that would be sooooo good for a reveal.

8 Likes

That would be awesome although I doubt her character wouldn’t show up until something that seems like it would take place very late in the film

Imagine the shock to the fanbase.

It would be incredible.

2 Likes

:ok_hand: Perfect.

Imagine Peter’s reaction…

1 Like