Spider-Man: Homecoming

Unpopular opinion: I don’t like how the cast is. (other than tom Holland, he is my definitive spider man). Personally, I dont like gender/race bending when adapting any character that we already have a description/picture of how they look. And honestly, it shows a lack of creativity. If you are going to create characters that are going to be similar to a known character, just make a new character that fans can learn to like. Such as Harley Quinn (who, didn’t originate in the comics, but from a tv show) who is very close to the joker when It comes to her antics and actions. And I would have been more interested to see NEW characters since they are going to have different ethnicities for these characters.
/somewhat rant
TL:DR: I believe it shows a lack of creativity when G/R bending a character, rather than making a new one

5 Likes

I understand your standpoint, but to me, I wouldn’t care if Zendaya was white, mixed race, black, red, yellow, blue, green, purple, or orange. I think she’s an awesome actor, so I’m okay with her being in that role.

3 Likes

My opinion isn’t strictly just about zendaya, its about whenever you do it, just kinda annoys me a bit, and I don’t doubt her acting (though her Disney acting makes me a bit nervous) and if her acting stays true to the character, ill be fine with it. Its just that id rather it be a new character.

1 Like

One thing that I think will work in her favor is that she is just a supporting character and won’t be completely in the spotlight. This has worked for actors like Jai Courtney when he was captain boomerang in suicide squad who I thought he was fine in, but when he is playing a main character in something like terminator I think he wasn’t that good.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t find “race bending” characters a huge issue, save when a certain character is definitively of a given race, for whatever (i.e. their race is part of their identity, etc.). For me, gender bending is almost always a no-go–I have no problem with a cast that has leads with both genders (who would?), but changing an established character’s gender to suit your film’s tone shows a lack of creativity, IMO, as you’re choosing a tone or atmosphere over your characters, who should drive your film.

TBH, what irritates me more than gender or race changes is when a movie based on pre-established characters ignores the fundamental traits of those characters. Take, for example, Homecoming’s Flash Thompson. I could care less that he’s played by an Indian actor, but my goodness is he scrawny! Flash is supposed to be the stereotypical jock–big, bulky, and brainless. The casting choice they made here doesn’t seem to fit that, IMO. Sure, there are both intelligent and thin jocks, but Flash is not one of them.

Nevertheless, I still think this Spidey film is going to be the best yet, because I’m confident in Marvel’s skill. They’ve surprised me pleasantly with their character interpretations before, so while I might be circumspect about a few of their choices here, I’m reasonably certain that they’ll bring something impressive and new to the table.

8 Likes

Me neither but dude there’s some people at my school who are genuinely angry at this choice because she doesn’t have red hair or something and it kinda annoyed me for awhile until I brought up how it happened to deadshot, most of them agreed with me except one guy who refused to reserve judgment until the movie comes out

Wow, that must be really annoying. Though I will reserve my final thoughts on the new MJ until I can see some footage, I’m still a little annoyed at who they cast.

If you ask me hair and skin color don’t make a character for me it’s the personality that makes it iconic, and i don’t know much about her acting ability other than the stuff I’ve seen in the background while doing other things but I believe she will be able to fit the character fine. I’m gonna side with James Gunn on this

2 Likes

She could make the movie 200x better for all I know, its just that I would like to have seen someone that was more accurate to her comic representation, though like deadshot, there is a possibility that I will be eating my words after we see the first footage

2 Likes

Maybe once they show the stuff at comic con because people confirmed she was in it even though they called her something that wasn’t Mary Jane

1 Like

Actually Flash Thompson was rather thin when he first appeared in Amazing Fantasy 15.

2 Likes

if you ask me Mary Jane is Iconic because of her red hair not her personality. (I dont like the actor her shows are a cringe fest)

So, if MJ was a withdrawn computer geek with red hair, would you be happy?
The red hair may be iconic, but the personality is far more so.

4 Likes

I honestly do not care at all, as long as the film is good. “race-bending” characters is not a real issue for me.

(Except for when it makes no sense in the story, like the live action FMA movie…)

3 Likes

I feel like I know this, what is it

Fullmetal Alchemist.

1 Like

I was on mobile yesterday so it was hard to find an example, so here’s what I mean:

5 Likes

I have a reprint of that issue from 2006!

2 Likes

That has to be a scene in the movie now

2 Likes

You know, I’ve noticed that basketball players at my school seem to be a lot more Flash-like than the football team. The new actor seems like he could be a basketball player. Also, it’s not like the previous Flashes were too bulky, either.

1 Like