Star Wars Clone Wars VS Star Wars Rebels

Oh boy, this debate. Clone Wars was amazing. Rebels is amazing. Both are really good TV shows, but I feel that comparing them now while Rebels is still on air isn’t a fair debate. As of this moment though, I can’t say which one is better because to me, Rebels just feels like the continuation of Clone Wars since Rex, Ahsoka, and Matt Lanter Anakin Skywalker have shown up. If Rebels didn’t have any ties to CW besides the occasional ‘I was a padawan during the Clone Wars and X happened’ comment by Kanan, I feel that the two would be up for a ‘which show is better?’ debate. Don’t get me wrong, I love that Rebels is a continuation of CW that still also manages to focus on the Rebels characters over the CW characters, thus still sorta being it’s own thing.

Those are just my thoughts.

2 Likes

Clone wars all the way rebels season 2 was amazing and I cried every time I talked about it. but clone wars is better

1 Like

I prefer Clone Wars (2003)

2 Likes

vader is in rebels rebels>clone wars

1 Like

I feel like this is an unfair comparison

Rebels has two seasons, Clone Wars has 5 1/2

that being said, as much as I like Rebels, Clone Wars is superior

3 Likes

I wish the would just finish season 6 of clone wars

1 Like

I haven’t even WATCHED rebels thouroughly, but from what I’ve seen of it it’s fine.

I just feel them adding back Clone Wars characters was a move they needed to do in order to capture Clone War’s audience, but to be honest, I find that kind of sad. Adding Ashoka back to confront Vader was something I looked forward to, but it kinda distracts us from focusing on the main characters, at least in my opinion.

I get more interested in these pre-established characters they’re adding now that I feel like Rebels is just becoming an extension of Clone Wars. Which is fine, but personally I just feel like it should have disconnected from it.

If there is something I applaud Clone Wars for, it’s making a convincing Anakin Skywalker. I mean seriously, in there I could believe this guy COULD turn to the dark side despite how nice he was.

2 Likes

This makes no sense to me.

1 Like

I didn’t mention this, but it’s so true. Prequel Anakin was an absolute jerk and really annoying. TCW Anakin was a great guy, but you could see the recklessness and uncertainty beneath the surface. I think George Lucas did his best to make Anakin completely unlikeable, but TCW fixed that by a long shot.

4 Likes

Considering I wrote the comment it’s no surprise, but ummm why?

From what I’ve seen, they are currently trying to push out the CW characters.

Ahsoka is disconnected from the group and they think she’s dead, Rex isn’t doing all that much, and the others really only have cameos.

1 Like

I believe he’s saying that he doesn’t get your logic of preferring a show with more episodes, but potentially lesser quality, to a show that has good quality but fewer episodes.

I also wonder why you feel this way–I’m not saying it’s wrong, but I’m curious as to your reasoning. I personally would prefer a show that has great episodes with fewer of them than a show with a lot of low-quality episodes…

1 Like

I’m saying, to me, they have equal quality. I really like them both. But CW has more episodes so there’s just more to like in it. If I still don’t make sense, here’s an analogy:
One person has two apples (SWR), and another person has 6 apples(CW). All of the apples taste exactly alike, are the same size, and price. If you were to buy from one person, who would you buy from?

1 Like

Ok, that makes more sense. I didn’t catch the fact that you were assuming the shows were already equally good…in that case, I agree with you!

2 Likes

This is usually what I use when I can’t make up my mind. :yum:

1 Like

Well here’s my rating for them

Clone Wars '03 > Clone Wars '08 > Rebels

All are pretty neat shows, but each has the flaws, especially Rebels.

2 Likes

The biggest problem with this comparison is both series have completely different formulas.

Clone Wars is very much a series of three to four part stories that flesh out the setting during the time period between two films in the series. A core cast is present, but generally only one or two leads will show up as they bridge into the stories told in each arc. There is a huge variety of genres in the shows. Big battles raging for control over planets with heavy influences of war movies, Criminal investigations at the high political level, lighthearted episodes with comedic characters, thrillers that deal with military loyalty, rescue missions, villains trying to undermine each others power, even a kaiju film for crying out loud. While not every arc is great, there is a huge amount of stories and characters for fans to enjoy. The Continuity can sometimes be an issue with the less than linear production order, but it still is impressive that a cartoon has all of this.

Rebels follows a more traditional TV show approach. There is a tightly knit team of six to seven individuals who band together and have adventures along the way. They meet new allies and run from the bad guys with character development sprinkled in for the main cast. It is a much more formulaic, but structured show. There are no big arcs apart from season premiers and finales, but that is also a strength. While viewers may not have large awesome story arcs, they do not have to deal with a month’s worth of dull episodes. If an episode was lackluster, come back next week where this character gets the spotlight.

It really is an apples to oranges scenario. I prefer clone wars as a structure more, as I prefer all of the stories told, but I can see why one would prefer rebels.

4 Likes

Clone Wars, as it stands now, is probably the better production.
HOWEVER,
after the most recent episode, I’m thinking disney is starting to allow them a bigger budget, so we’ll be seeing the increase in quality that we saw with Clone Wars.
So, it is quite possible Rebels may surpass Clone Wars in the future, (especially if they continue to dig into Old Republic/Ancient Sith stuff like they have been doing)

1 Like

Rebels is good, Clone Wars is better. It dealt with a lot more interesting themes, and has had a lot more interesting characters. If you’ve seen Empire Day, you understand why I have some… moral dilemmas regarding the rebellion.

1 Like

Oh yeah, forgot about that…
That was… yeah that was not so good.