Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker Topic

Can Rey be the child of Dengar?

2 Likes

and then proceed to have no clue who she is. Sure, she was a child, but you’d think Leia or Luke would sense who she was if she was indeed related to them.

6 Likes

Exactly. Though you could chalk that up to JJ wanting to preserve his mystery boxes. Still, there’s nothing in TFA or TLJ that clearly implies who she is…except for Maz Kanata’s moment with her, when she explicitly states that Rey knows whoever she’s waiting for on Jakku is “never coming back.” That seems pretty definite to me…

3 Likes

I mean, Vader couldn’t do that with Luke…

But the hair is a dead giveaway

1 Like

Vader didn’t know that Luke existed. He was able to detect he was strong in the Force, but if you think your unborn child died with its mother 19 years prior, the idea that the pilot trying to blow up your space station and then be a pain in your Dark Side for the next few years is your son is the furthest thing from your mind.

If Rey was the daughter of Leia or Luke, and they sent her away, and she came back years later, showing a talent for the Force and being about the correct age of the daughter you sent away all that time ago, I feel like they’d at least ask the question of where she grew up.

“Hey, you’re not from Jakku, are you?”
“I am actually.”
“Welcome home! I’m your long lost mom/dad! Here’s your Uncle Luke/Han. You should probably do something about your brother/cousin, Ben.”

6 Likes

Not to mention the fact that both Luke and Han knew Rey was from Jakku shortly after meeting her, and never seemed to bat an eyelash. Han perhaps seemed a little cagey (probably because JJ intended to cause speculation), but when Rey tells Luke she’s from Jakku he reacts completely unemotionally, not at all how a father of a young girl who had left her on Jakku would react when meeting a grown-up girl of mysterious origins who also happens to be strong in the Force and from Jakku, where said daughter was abandoned.

3 Likes

The only believable way they could make Rey Luke’s daughter is if Luke got a woman pregnant without knowing OR believed she died. It’s not out of the question, but I have to ask what the purpose would be for the story.

We certainly don’t need to add more tragedy to Luke’s story. Other than the fact it’s pretty much over now, we already know the reason why he walked away, which was failing Ben (a boy who was probably pretty much a son to him anyway). Luke’s already lost his kid, we don’t need to make him lose another. If anything, go deeper into that tragedy with Luke and Ben’s relationship in IX and how it affected them. Show us that there is still love between them, even if it has been warped and twisted by what happened pre TFA.

And if it’s because Luke just didn’t know that he got a woman pregnant then… okay? What does that really add to either Luke or Rey’s characters other than “I guess you’re my dad/daughter now”. When we found out Luke was Vader’s son in ESB, it added a massive layer on conflict and derailed the plot (in a good way) to something we’d never even considered. That Vader was a man and could be redeemed. Luke had already had his redemption in TLJ.

So yeah, keep Rey as Rey. I’d love to see who her family was/is and maybe even explore some mystery to it, if relevant to the plot. I think it’s a stronger story with her just being a no one who became the spark of the resistance, and being part of this story because she believes it’s right, and not some familial obligation.

1 Like

Still no matter what they advertise the movies dead on arrival. The force awakens was a good start, the last Jedi completely killed the property, and now they’re desperately clinging to the old characters for marketing because their new characters suck.

Go ahead Disney; bring back palpatine or whoever you want; it won’t change anything. I’ll take Vader over darth prettyboy anyday.

1 Like

this is really debatable, and did no more damage then the phantom menace if any besides ticking half the fandom off

1 Like

I mean look at this thread; look at their marketing. They are clinging so tightly to things fans actually like that it clearly shows they have 0 faith in their own movies. Also with TLJ you have to take in to account ruin Johnson acting like a immature child on social media; the phantom menace was just a so so movie and nothing more.

Throw in marvel phase 4 and its obvious they don’t care what the true fans want.

1 Like

Am I the only one who is surprise that Obi-Wan haven’t returned in any way shape or form yet?

It really isn’t.

Yup. TPM only spawned what has to be the most beloved era of the SW saga.

I think I would like talking with you about Phase 4 at some point

Ah yes, the trademark vitriol of the star wars fanbase. It happens any time something that’s added that doesn’t lead to the approval of fanboys on the internet.

I’d argue quote on quote “true fans” aren’t the people who hate on the new additions to a franchise if they exist at all. If I were Disney I sure as hell wouldn’t pander to those type of people. The part of the fanbase that has pushed people off social media, the part of the fanbase that says dumb nicknames such as

He was right to get upset. There’s a difference between disliking a movie and being overly critical to be a jerk.

It really is. There’s a reason it has overwhelmingly critical praise.

Sure, via a garbage film that was saved by other media years later.

1 Like

Like Star Wars its all behind the scenes politics. Just look up thor.

Out of all of the examples you took only Thor?

1 Like

Before we get too off topic let’s just agree to disagree.

Oh god, that poster looks absolutely incredible!

Yup, great point. [quote=“Holi, post:236, topic:48011”]
Sure, via a garbage film that was saved by other media years later.
[/quote]

I̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶P̶h̶a̶n̶t̶o̶m̶ ̶M̶e̶n̶a̶c̶e̶…[quote=“Khalsa721, post:232, topic:48011”]
and now they’re desperately clinging to the old characters for marketing because their new characters suck.
[/quote]

Not necessarily. Despite the weaker characters we got such as Poe Dameron, we still got a few stronger ones. Say whatever you want about Rey, I think she is a decent lead character.
Also, wasn’t bringing Palpatine back what fans wanted ever since the sequel trilogy started? I see theory videos all over YouTube about his potential connection with Snoke and such.

I would like to address the fact that you appear to have made up your mind about Episode IX before you have seen the movie. If you make up your mind about something beforehand, you doom that something to conform to your mind’s opinion. I don’t have a problem with people disliking The Last Jedi, but I will always point out when rhetoric like this is used.

It’s dangerous to divide a fanbase. Remember that every fan of Star Wars is united by a common interest in the movies, story, or lore, so try not to put yourself above others who disagree with your opinions or wishes. There are no classes of fans.

Edit:

It is an assumption and generalization to say that the critics were payed off. Obviously you can never keep this entire profession honest, but this claim is still an ad hominem against the critics that disagree with your opinion of The Last Jedi.

As I’m reading more about the role of critics online, it’s important to note that they are often looking for different things in a movie, and don’t really factor into the equation of whether an audience member likes a film. In any case, the critics are a separate topic and don’t quite matter to the current discussion.

2 Likes

Except having snoke be a bootleg emperor was bad enough. Now that he’s dead it’ll be the same as D.C. Bringing back superman in justice legue; why did snoke exist in the first place when palpatine is still around? He’s pointless since they could have had the emperor in the role the whole time.

@Rocka99
Well it’s more about what I see in the marketing. If it comes out and turns out to be really good I’ll happily admit I was wrong.

1 Like

Why don’t we just wait for the movie to see what happens?

2 Likes