Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker Topic

He must be remembering LEGO Star Wars II… :joy:

7 Likes

That is the only notable difference. The rest is pretty much the same.

Just give me a movie with general grievous having a hay day.

1 Like

Yes please.

I don’t know that this is exactly it. Maybe, but I’m not sure.

I think that, at least partially, TLJ threw away a lot of JJ Abrams’ toys, like Snoke, and because Lucasfilm/JJ/somebody clearly wants to try redeeming Kylo Ren, they don’t have the guts to make him a serious villain, even with the added nuance of his conflicting feelings. So they needed a super-duper serious bad guy to cap off this trilogy, and Palpatine is just the obvious answer, and one which they can sufficiently stick into the narrative with less problems, because he’s already established, and his revelation will, ideally, feel less like a new villain coming in at the eleventh hour and more like a foreshadowed twist.

The thing I hate the most about Palpatine returning is that it makes Snoke both a literal and a figurative waste of time. I get it–clearly Palpatine was not supposed to be the endgame here (no matter what they say, don’t believe them)–but it’s unimaginably frustrating that these people had so little regard for how this trilogy would unfold that they didn’t even bother writing a basic arc for their main villain, be it Snoke, Kylo, or Palpatine. The basic elements of crafting a multi-part story were utterly ignored in these films, and that’s what’ll kill them in the end, regardless of how pretty they look, or how well acted they are…

2 Likes

Which I would mind if they had ACTUALLY done it! They had at least 1 good opportunity to do so, if not more.

I agree, Snoke is now completely pointless.

I think what happened was JJ laid the groundwork, Ryan ignored it and did his own thing, and now whoever’s directing the last one, (JJ right?) Nownhas to pick up the pieces, and work with what he’s got, or ne like Ryan, and do whatever he wants.

Yes, JJ is the one directing it.

Ryan essentially made sure that 9 couldn’t be 6 part 2 electric boogaloo, however JJ being JJ is going to try his hardest to copy that film, unfortunately.

4 Likes

What I don’t understand, is why they got Ryan in the first place? I’m not questioning thier choice, I just don’t understand why they got another director for a 3 part series.

Part of the reason, I think, the first 6 movies, as varying in quality as they are, all mesh together so well, is because they had the same director for all of them. George Lucas, (with the exception of TLJ, and ESB, in which he was co-director)

1 Like

Because the original plan was to have different directors per movie in the new trilogy, something happened and Disney’s choice for 9 had to bail, and so last second they brought back JJ

1 Like

Which makes no sense to me. I don’t claim to be an executive director or a film maker, but you would think that to have 3 movies, that tell 1 overarching story, you would need a unified vision. It seems to me the best way to get that is only have 1 director.

At least now that JJ is directing two out of the three movies we will get some sort of a cohesent storyline.
Tho copy-paste-edit or not, it would have been better if JJ directed all three of them.

1 Like

It provides a diverse Vision and prevents your trilogy from ending up a complete critical flop(see the prequals) by prioritizing the individual films over being part of a trilogy

Lucas did the exact opposite.
He himself stated multiple times that when he went into the prequels, he wanted to work more on Anakin’s arc than the episodes himself. He basically admited that had up to no ideas for I, barely anything for II, and most of his ideas and focus were on III, which is definetely shown.
And the OG is even more on the flip side. When he went into IV, he really thought the movie will fail, which pushed him into working on the movie itself instead of an overarching plot. Same for the other two.

1 Like

Regardless, I’m personally More excited for Rian Johnson’s own trilogy, as he’s shown he’s not afraid to take creative risks (regardless if you think he pulled it off) and I’d 1000x would rather a unique bad movie the a bland mediocre one like JJ is prone to creating

2 Likes

I mostly agree, tho it seems Disney is doing its best to quietly phase Ryan’s trilogy out of the play. Aside for Kenedy mentioning it once, Ryan was literally the only one talking about it.

Perhaps they don’t want to divert attention from the current films towards a project still in early development? Along with the fact that the hatred towards tlj is so vitriolic that it’s forced people off social media that before elaboration they want it to cool down. As tlj was a critical and financial success, despite a roughly even split of the fanbase, it’s doubtful it’ll be cancelled.

2 Likes

They did the exact oposite many times before to more important things.

Or maybe this exact hate, wheter justifiable or not, is the reason as of why they want to cancel it?

There should really be an official census. I still believe that there are more that disliked it.

Here’s your answer, as originally posted back in January:

@Toa_Vladin

An official census on opinions over Episode VIII? That’s nigh near impossible. For one, a census is for a population and doesn’t necessarily fit what we’re talking about. A general survey is the better word for what you’re looking for. And even then, still pretty much impossible. For it to really have any real credibility you’d have to track down literally every Star Wars fan on the entire planet and ask them their opinion. That begs the question of what constitutes a ‘fan’? Is that someone who has some knowledge of the franchise, i.e. a general movie goer, or do you exclude people like them and make a criteria that you must have read so many EU books, so many canon books, seen all the movies, TV episodes, and played so many of the games, etc…

Having an official on-the-books public opinion of the film would be fascinating, but I’m afraid that’s a pipe dream. Not to mention that it’s likely there’s actually a very vocal minority (minority in this case being used very loosely, because yes, there’s lots that dislike it) when it comes to negative opinions of the film. They seem like they’re the bigger group just because they won’t stop crying about it. There could very easily be a larger percentage of people like myself who only discuss the film only every once in awhile because we’re tired of the arguments it brings up.

“We get it, you didn’t like it. Let’s move on.”

4 Likes

I think the characters who could have worked more as the main villains after Snoke would be the Knights of Ren themselves. Like imagine if they were the ones who pushed for Kylo to go futher into the Dark side via group pressure. The fact that they haven’t had much of an important role ro the trilogy other than showing up in a vision once, kinda makes them mysterious and thus could have worked in revealing them as the true villains of the ST, with Snoke being their puppet without knowing it.