Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker Topic

Honestly, this whole trilogy invalidade Anakin’s sacrifice.

Tho I like a little to imagine that he took the name of SKywalker from Kylo as in some form of “symbolic” marriage. I know, it doesn’t make any sense, but it kindae panders on the whole Mary Sue thing surrounding Rey a little.

Okay, this line is actually my least favorite line in all of Star Wars. Why?

[spoiler]For one, it’s stupid. It just sounds dumb. The old lady was just forced in for some reason, just to make her say it so that the title of the movie, which is still bad, make sense, and it only kind of worked. She really has no attachment to the Skywalkers in any way, so this scene makes it feel like she’s imaging herself as Luke’s son or being married to Kylo. Kylo should have been the Skywalker, not her. It makes sense with the title and the character and the plot, which is two more than Rey.

But that’s not all; this line is bad besides my personal opinion. My friend may have pointed this out to me, but the more I thought about it, the worse it got.

This line ruins the point of this movie. Rey has spent all of Last Jedi looking for her name, and now that she actually has it, she learns that names don’t truly matter. She does not need to become the Empress simply because of her grandfather’s name. Cue the ”What’s in a name?” reference, because that was what I was learning from this movie. After she learns who she is, she rejects that name, but never once did she seem to need another. She used her betrayal of her name as a source of strength, and now she apparently needs a new one. The entire line doesn’t make sense within the story or the character, and it only appeals to the audience- or, fails to appeal.

Oh, but “Rey Skywalker”’s traitorous intent goes even deeper than that. It doesn’t just contradict itself, it contradicts Star Wars from its roots. Anakin Skywalker was ashamed of his name, of his home. But he doesn’t let his name define him. He becomes an incredibly famous Jedi Knight, saving countless lives before giving into his fear and letting himself be swallowed by the Dark Side.

His change in name may seem like a big deal, and it’s often compared to him becoming a separate character, but Luke in his life proves that names don’t matter. In a situation all too similar to Rey’s, Luke is offered a position by his own, destined to follow in his father’s name, yet he shows that he decides who he is, not his name. He doesn’t change his name to “Luke Kenobi” to spite his dad or whatever, no, he accepts that he’s a Skywalker, and uses not Vader’s name, but his own past self to save his father.

Yet Rey, after defeating the Emperor and being asked who she is, claims a new name. Now, I’m not saying she should have admitted to being a Palpatine, I’m saying she should have chosen a new name. Not borrowed someone else’s. I half expected her to say “Rey Jedi,” and while it sounds a bit dumb, it would have made sense. She rebukes her name, and now lives as not just a Jedi or y
a Jedi Master, but as the Last Jedi. She is all the Jedi. Skywalker was only two, maybe three or four depending on your viewpoint. Luke was a Rebel hero, and Anakin a Republic. No one even knows who they truly were.[/spoiler]

Okay, that probably got to be fairly rant-ish, and maybe even contradictory, but I’m tired and a little upset. I’m just quite disappointed that this had to be the line we ended one of my favorite franchises on.

Oh, wait, that’s right, Mandalorian Epsiode 8, that was how we’ve ended the franchise in for now. ‘Bout to change, too.

4 Likes

You’ve literally summed up my thoughts

Though “just Rey” would’ve been fine with me :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Same here, that’s probably the safest route they could have gone.

1 Like

I just rewatched A New Hope two days ago, and I have to say, it’s kinda embarrassing that a 43 year old movie that was made on a pretty low budget (even for its time) still is better in almost evey aspect than the new movies, which enjoy huge budgets.
The effects are probably the only aspect about the sequel trilogy that is better than the original trilogy. Sure, making a visually impressive film is always important, but more important than that is the story.
George Lucas stared this franchise because he wanted to tell a story. Disney bought his franchise because they wanted money.
I can’t think of a better example of “Storytelling VS Branding” than the Star Wars franchise.

3 Likes

It’s like nostalgia critic said; with the George Lucas movies you can tell there was real love going into the story whether it was good or not. With the Disney trilogy it lacks that love; No one wanted to just tell a story and Disney only wanted to add to its empire buying it.

Honestly I’m shocked they haven’t been hit by anti monopoly laws since with fox they practically own superheros as a genre and Star Wars is Star Wars. I think this year at least 90% of the box office was just their movies.

3 Likes

I would assume it hasn’t been hit by those laws due to political reasons that we probably can’t talk about on these boards.

That being said “A New Hope” and “Empire Strikes Back” are perhaps my favorites when it comes to Star Wars.

3 Likes

Just going to quickly post my thoughts here.

For me, TROS was definitely the weakest film of the trilogy, but I think it was still decent over all. I definitely liked the overall story, but it was clear the films main problem was its chopping editing and breakneck pacing. It makes sense when you hear that they had to edit the film while they were actually filming it as they didn’t have that much time to make the movie, and it definitely shows. I think if the film had a few little scenes to flesh it out and slow it down it would have been so much better.

Overall, I think that while the OT was probably better, the ST speaks to me in terms of its themes and character so much more. In that regard I think its my favourite trilogy but its main saving graces were definitely the relationship between Rey and Ben and also The Last Jedi, which is a work of art IMO.

So yeah, quite disappointed but overall quite content I suppose.

2 Likes