Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I disagree, DJ was the one part of the movie I didn’t enjoy, I thought he was just boring, and a coward.

2 Likes

DJ was a simple man trying to make a simple life in a simple galaxy. Besides, I don’t think that’s the last we’ll see of him.

1 Like

That’s what I’m afraid of. Like I said, I don’t like him

I think that’s the point though. He’s a very unlikable character, since he does the opposite of what people wanted/ were expecting. But that’s what I like about him. He just does whatever he wants. He actually reminds me of some of the CW bounty hunters a lot, which is great, as I adore the show. He represents what Johnson did a lot in this film. Doing the opposite of what the fans would want/expect. And I think that’s exactly why so many fans hate this movie. They saw two characters they wanted for another movie killed, told Rey’s parents are nobodies, Poe doesn’t get what he wants, the resistance is almost extinct, and a few other things. But I like the direction they are going on with this trilogy, and I especially like how the force is being treated. I adored how Luke asked Rey what she knew about the force, and her response was essentially the same as half the viewers would be. Luke explained it well, and I’m glad the force is not being looked at as just a cool power Jedi have.

3 Likes

I totally agree! I feel people just hate on this movie because it’s too different from the others, and was very unpredictable. If they want a movie that is more like the others, watch Force Awakens! I loved how Like explained the force to clear up stuff. I love CLONE WARS! Best animated show ever! Maybe. The bounty hunters like Cad Bane and Seripas and Sugi and Audra Song and EMBO are some of the best characters in Star Wars. I’m hoping they may put them in Solo or the Boba Fett films…

1 Like

How Rey described the force was golden, and when she did just what she described at the end of the movie it made it even better.

1 Like

Undoubtedly the best gag in the movie is when Luke is tickling Rey’s hand with the palm leaf and telling her it’s the Force…that killed me.

7 Likes

I don’t know man, the part when Snoke revealed himself as Windu really got me laughing!

3 Likes

I don’t know if this is a problem for me and me alone, but check out the user reviews for the shape of water on rotten tomatoes. Tell me if you see anything odd. Because I’ve been seeing reviews for the last Jedi show up, and I wonder if this lends credence to the rumors of angry fans using bots to give TLJ bad reviews. This may also involve other movies on RT.

I really doubt bots since I know a bunch of people like myself that despise The Last Jedi. Im not using spoiler tags since if you’re here you have kinda looked for spoilers

Rose is as pointless as jar jar, and does the same things our beloved gungan would do. I loved Finn for a bit into the movie, I was sad he was gonna sacrifice himself but I thought it would improve the plot

It has been 5 days since Rey has been using the force that she didnt even believe in, and she’s just too powerful where she beat Luke Skywalker. Definitely not MaRey Sue

Poe destroyed the star dreadnought because it magically didnt have shields like every other ship in the first order fleet

Poe began to grow on me as the movie went on, I liked the whole mutiny. But when Holdo doesn’t just tell him what’s up, it could have avoided the pointless space las vegas plot and he would have went along with the evacuation.

I think Holdo is really heckin dumb for waiting entirely too long to hyperspace into the Supremacy

It isn’t hard to see where these people are coming from, is it?

1 Like

You should put spoilers in tags until the mods tell us it’s okay to post them. The movie came out less than a week ago. I know people who haven’t seen it yet. We should try to be respectful of that as much as possible, especially since tags aren’t all that difficult to put in.

Now, onto your points:

Rose is no more pointless than any other minor character in any other Star Wars movie (think Wedge, Boba Fett, Tarkin, etc.). She serves as a means of character development for Finn, development which–if it hadn’t existed–wouldn’t have made you feel for him when he was going to sacrifice himself. I agree that Finn sacrificing himself might have been a good plot move, but it’s neither here nor there.

I always see people complain about Rey using the Force so well in such a short time…they usually forget that Luke was able to fire two torpedoes into a 2 meter opening without the aid of a targeting computer. (I know he stated that he bullseyed womprats in his T-16, but he never said he did it without a targeting computer, and it’s heavily implied that he used the Force to blow up the Death Star…such as when Obi-Wan’s voice tells him to use it). I guess Luke is exempt from the overpowered Mary Sue rule.

The bombers were presumably close enough to the dreadnought to breach its shields. Consider how Kylo’s TIE Fighter got within the Raddus’ shields. If the ship is larger, a larger object could get through its defenses.

What reason does Holdo have for telling Poe her plan? Lower-ranking officers are hardly ever informed of their superiors’ plans until it is necessary. We sympathize with Poe because he’s a main character, but that’s what the movie lured us into. In reality, she has no reason to tell him anything.

Also, Holdo’s hyperspace maneuver was a last resort…not something you tend to think of right away.

I get why people dislike their theories being thrown out, but small criticisms like these are no different than those that were leveled at TFA (which everyone seems to like), so no, I don’t understand where people are coming from when they hate on this film.

7 Likes

[spoiler]I’m sorry, I’m going to get a little emotional while I use my love for the Last Jedi to attack you’re ideas.

COUGH COUGH ROSE SAVED THE SECOND MAIN CHARACTER’S LIFE SO FIGHT ME (actually don’t, fighting is not friendly)

She used the force to beat Kylo in TFA. My guess is she has high medachlorian count.

They were very close the the shields. Besides, an attack-class destroyer like a dreadnought would be focused more on artillery. That’s also why the bombers couldn’t just fly much higher and still drop the gravity-powered bombs.

It’s funny you say this, because Poe acted very unreasonably when he did find out Holdo’s plan, and it wasn’t because it was kept from him.

It was supposed to be drawn-out. Some of my friends say it was the best part in the movie, and I can understand them. It was a character’s death and a cool part in the movie. Just added for drama.

Comments like that get me mad, I’m sorry. Small plot devices such as Holdo waiting too long to run into a star destroyer (I don’t know about you, but I’d hesitate) are no reason to hate a movie. I’ve read just about every comment on here about this movie,
and the closest I can come to seeing why people hate this movie is because it’s too different from the originals. That was one of my favorite parts about it! I’d rather watch TLJ than another ESB, that’s for sure. I only thought the Force Awakens was okay in terms of Star Wars movies, because it was a New Hope rewritten. I feel the haters are just mad because the opposite of what they thought or wanted to happen actually happened, at least that’s what they make themselves sound like. They wanted Luke to be perfect (which you always could know was never going to happen, he wasn’t the best example of a jedi in ROTJ), they wanted some super big thing to be Rey’s heritage, and they wanted something for Snoke. I still think we’ll see Snoke’s story,
and I honestly liked the plot twist that was Rey’s family. I wish people would either explain more why they hate the movie if I’m wrong, or be more willing to accept the movie as it is. Would it be a good movie if it wasn’t a Star Wars movie? If so, why let the title set this huge example of what you think it is going to be!

I’m sorry, I’m unreasonable and went a little crazy there, but I just think those who dislike the Last Jedi need to calm down. Death threats are crazy.[/spoiler]

2 Likes

[spoiler]Here’s the thing, I’m not talking about the bombers. Poe should not have been able to breach the dreadnought’s shields and destroy the turrets. Kylo shouldn’t have been able to breach the Raddus’ either, I agree.

I enjoy a lot of parts of this movie, but the inconsistent shielding is the worst thing. I played Empire At War a lot when I was younger, and every larger ship had shielding of some kind. Only bombers could ever ignore this shield. I understand this is a movie and not a video game, but its really ridiculous since the individual laser cannon emplacements on the ships were shielded.

Also the bomber scene bothered me.

There isnt any gravity in space so the button would stay up there floating around, and paige was dead as a doornail not being able to breathe with the bottom hatch open.[/spoiler]

Poe was very close to the ship, and the blasters would have to be outside of the shields to fire, and the cannons were charging, so the shields were still in attack mode.

It has long been established in Star Wars that small objects can breach shields around large objects at close range. How else could fighters returning from an attack get into a shielded starship? That’s always been a vulnerable point, and it’s been exploited many times in the movies and TV shows.

Video games aren’t the best way to judge this kind of thing, either, as they create their own rules in order to make gameplay fair.

As for the no gravity thing…the reason why Paige could survive with the bay doors open, and why the remote did not float, was because shields can contain artificial gravity. Examples of this occur in shows like the Clone Wars and Rebels, where a miniature shield is projected whenever a starship’s hull is breached in order to prevent people from getting sucked out. Objects can pass through the shield at certain speeds, but it keeps the artificial gravity and life support intact.

This is all rather technical, and never really explained, but nothing that happens in TLJ violates the rules.

2 Likes

The people defending this movie are starting to become more toxic than the people attacking this movie.

surely we can respect each others opinions. (not talking about people in this topic just what I have seen one social media)

I liked ? the movie but think some direction choices where questionable in the context of the starwars franchise, if it was a stand alone movie I wouldn’t have any problems with the movie.

1 Like

This does tend to happen when there’s a large divide between people on a certain topic. Eventually, everyone just gets so stuck in their ways that no one can talk to each other.

Personally, I can respect a lot of negative arguments about this movie (such as Phasma being underused and the Finn/Rose plot not really fitting in as well) , but a lot of the critiques are based solely on how a group of people FEEL it should have been done. If you can give me a real reason why certain character decisions negatively impact the movie or the franchise, then there’s a starting point for a debate. But saying, “I hate the choice they made for insert name here because it ruins my childhood hero” isn’t an argument. For example, a lot of people are saying they hate the way Luke was portrayed because, in their minds, his actions were out of character, but they fail to offer any reasonable arguments as to WHY Luke’s actions are uncharacteristic of him.

I feel like much of this stems from people believing that their version of Star Wars is the same as everyone else’s. Rian Johnson has shown us his vision for the franchise. To do things like sending him threatening messages or petitioning for TLJ to be decanonized shows that certain people can’t accept that someone else is showing them a new kind of Star Wars story. Debating certain aspects of the movie is one thing…that kind of behavior is another.

1 Like

No I get why people don’t like the movie. I just think it’s odd when reviews for the last Jedi are showing up in the new Guillermo del toro film.

@squeaverking, I can understand why you think poorly of the gravity issue on the bombers, but we have seen similar things in Star Wars before. Think buzz droids in episode III, for example. Plus, while it is kinda dumb, I don’t think it’s big enough of a criticism to really get upset about.
@toa_heatwave, I really like your point about Poe and Holdo. I was actually thinking about that while I was watching.
I saw a video on YouTube about Luke in the film (sorry, can’t remember what it was called). The guy in the vid explained that in the prequels, Yoda is a wise, intelligent, and highly respected individual. And when we see him in ESB, he’s a little looney. And while sure, that’s just an act, his personality is still noticeably different. This is likely caused by years of isolation. Luke went through the same isolation. It’s possible that before his arrival to the island, he was less of a grump, and just ashamed of what he almost did. People are real mad about that too. They say “Luke didn’t kill Vader, and Vader was evil!!” But the difference is that Luke saw good in Vader, but mostly evil in Ben. Plus he felt instant regret before he even did it, and felt even more guilty for years later! So I don’t understand what people are getting so mad about, as that seems kinda like Luke to me.

1 Like

So people are saying that Luke’s character is different, and yeah it is. But keep in mind that people change over time, especially over the course of thirty years. Like I’m not the same person I was a year ago.

2 Likes