Star Wars: The Last Jedi

If this ends up being the case (ESB 2.0) I think the issue will be that they took TFA as a success partially because it mirrored ANH in many aspects, but they didn’t realize a lot of that contentness was on the assumption the rehash would only be how the introduce people to the Sequels, not how they run through them.

4 Likes

What’s that got to do with what I was saying? If it’s in response to my statement “attention… is something Lando wanted to avoid”, that’s 100% true. He mentions to Han and Leia that he’s tried to keep the Bespin facilities a secret from the Empire because taxes and stuff. Sure, he was trying to be an honest man by doing what he thought was best for everyone, which led to him selling the Rebels out to Vader and co when they arrived. Of course that didn’t go well, and we get a lot of Empire’s third act.

It’s never expressively stated that it was incredibly wealthy. Not in Empire itself or in it’s canon Wookipedia database does it say the people are incredibly wealthy or not, except for tourists that rent hotel rooms up to 5,000 credits a night. I wouldn’t say the citizens walking around in the background look anything more than a typical middle-class citizen.

Although, given the style of clothing in Star Wars, it is kind of hard to tell. Tunics seem to be popular, as well as capes for some individuals, so, unless it’s a Senator in the Galactic Senate or something, we don’t see anything too fancy from the few moments we get to see regular people in the franchise.

Oohh, that’s a good one. Hadn’t caught that yet.

The three points you mentioned, and the Falcon being chased by TIEs through what looked like to be tunnels on Crait is similar to the asteroid sequence, is what really stand out to me.

The plot can have these elements but still feel different, so hopefully it does, because as much grief as people (including me) give The Force Awakens for being a rehash, it didn’t really feel like it until the third act where it became blatant. There’s having familiar elements, and then there’s being blatantly similar. Hopefully The Last Jedi’s plot structure will be different enough to make us overlook these things once the movie actually gets going.

I really hope not, otherwise the people making movies today are dumber than I thought.

They already think cinematic universes are the key to everything when they didn’t realize people turn up for MARVEL films because they make a good product rather than it all being connected. Rehashing being a key to success would only make Hollywood worse than it is.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I think they may get that idea because in my experience (I, of course, cannot speak about every TFA fan) have encountered many who defend that aspect of the film because either “it works,” (which, to be fair, it works on its own) or “it’s a good way to introduce new people to what the classic was like.” I think the producers took this the wrong way and interpreted it as “fans’ll eat up the old stuff, let’s keep it coming.”

I will admit to biases and say that I did not enjoy TFA nor do I have a personal investment in this era of the Star Wars story.

3 Likes

Well, all I can hope is this isn’t the case. I know Rian Johnson actually made some statement a while ago about how the movie would not be ESB 2.0, but obviously anyone can say whatever they want, so who knows on that one.

The similarities are definitely there in the trailer, and that has me concerned, but trailers also have had a past of being deceiving. I can only be hopeful for now.

BUT THE CLASSIC STILL EXISTS AND CAN BE BOUGHT IN A BLU RAY COLLECTION FOR LIKE $20 AT WAL-MART! or probably pirated for free on the internet… Man, people are dumb! That’s not an argument. If the original was somehow lost to time and the people who remembered watching it remade it as a modern movie, that’s perfectly okay. But that’s not the reality we live in. Honestly, with as lazy as people are now a days, you’d think they’d look for any excuse to just sit and watch something for two and a half hours.

Granted, that’s probably why Hollywood keeps getting away with the things they’re getting away with. -_-

I think that’s perfectly understandable. I really enjoyed The Force Awakens, but it may be the Star Wars film I have the biggest problems with. Because forget about the very familiar feeling third act, why did R2 just wake up out of the blue? I really hope that’s explained as something like “there was a high strength signal jammer on Starkiller Base that somehow only affected R2”. It would be dumb, but at least it would be an explanation. If it doesn’t get explained, that’ll be the number one biggest plot hole in Star Wars, I think.

Skimming through my copy of the Episode VII novelization (won it at a Star Wars trivia contest, haven’t read it), it makes it seem as if R2 literally just sat there until someone mentioned a map to Luke and that was the one thing he had been waiting for, for however long he’d been in low power mode. I suppose it’s something of an answer, but it’s really dumb.

I think the Sequel Era has promise, as some of the story elements presented in Episode VII were interesting, so here’s hoping Disney delivers with The Last Jedi and IX.

2 Likes

I think it will have echoes to empire strikes back. But I think it will be different enough especially with a director like rian Johnson. I’m well aware of the similarities between tfa and a new hope but I still really enjoyed the film and it is my third favorite Star Wars film. I can totally get why people didn’t like tfa and I hold nothing against people who didn’t like it. I also think this also has a genuinely good chance of becoming my favorite Star Wars film.

As the situation on Canto Bight is one of the few parts of the film that we have very little intel on, it’s tough to say whether it will take too much from Cloud City. If anything, I would suspect to see more of a class divide on “Canto Bight” - the first bit is the Italian term for a musical arc or chapter in a dramatic work. Maybe Rose and Finn will infiltrate an opera or something like that?

1 Like
1 Like

I personally am avoiding newer trailers and clips from now on.

1 Like

A good philosophy…but some people like to check out TV spots. This one is not all that spoiler-y.

minus that last part of the trailer.

The trailer or the new TV spot?

Either way I don’t think it’s a spoiler. For the TV spot I think it’s just a “I’m ready now” stance.

1 Like

the video that was recently posted here.

2 Likes

With the movie only days away now lets share all of our best (or worst) predictions and theorys for it.

Some of mine are that Rey with turn to the dark and kylo will turn back to the light.

Kylo and Rey will team up and be force users in the middle.

Chewbacca will die

Snoke feeds of the life or force essence of others to increase or regain his power.

Snoke is an extremely power ancient sith Lord from the old republic area who was forced into the unknown regions for whatever reason. While there he was worshipped and thought of as a god of some sort.

Snoke will kill princess Leia by absorbing her force essence.

If Rey makes her own lightsaber it will either be a double bladed saber or a lightsaber staff, due to her skills with staffs she showed in TFA

Kylos light saber is Darth Vader saber just modified due to the crystal being cracked and realizing too much energy.

Oh and Rey is a Skywalker because of course she is.

Those are just a few of mine I has a lot more, but I want to her yours.

2 Likes

Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin, and smoke is a Droid possessed by the emperor

2 Likes

Finn is a human

4 Likes

Luke dies.

Rey is a Solo kid. (There was a lot of parent-daughter moments in TFA)

Snoke works for Jar Jar Binks (Just my wishful thinking)

Rey is a Palpatine. After the Battle of Endor, Rey’s parents (one of whom is the Emperor’s child) tried to hide her. They taught her about the Dark Side, using the force, and how to fight with a lightsaber. Luke came, stole Rey from her parents, erased her memory, and left her on Jakku to keep her from learning who she is. This would explain the uses of the force and the lightsaber combat in VII when she had no lightsaber training. In XIII trailer, Snoke uses the force on Rey, telling her to “fulfill her destiny”, and shows her screaming. This could be him using to force to reveal Rey’s true identity to her, which she finds painful. Snoke wants Rey to become like her Grandfather. Confused, Rey does not understand who’s side she should join in the war…

If you look at the Hasbro Star Wars Black Series figures of Rose and Snoke they both wear rings that look very similar. Rose and Paige could possibly be his daughters. They ran to the Resistance after he became the ruler of the First Order.

Um, who’s Paige again? Is that the lavender-haired general?