Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I feel a lot of hype for this movie, in fact, I would say more than the last one. The last one I did not know who on Coruscant those people were, so the only emotional time I had was when Han and Chewie showed up. Now, I know these people, I know their characters, and I know who they are. I’m excited to see what may happen to these people. Also, the music is awesome.

P.S. I’m also really excited about what Rey might become in this movie… Could we see the first main villainess in Marvel the same year as the first canon female Sith? Ventress doesn’t count, she’s an apprentice of an apprentice, basically a Sith intern

P.P.S That’s not a spoiler, just a comment

Yeah no, no way she’s turning evil.

2 Likes

My friends aunt also works at Lego and she said bionicle is coming back in 2019 and that Snoke is actually Velika

7 Likes

I am angry because we had a small party for Band class because we had a concert last night, but when we for some reason decided to watch Animaniacs an advertisement for TLJ showed up. One of the new ones. I, trying to avoid spoilers, covered my eyes and ate white cheddar popcorn in the corner out of sadness.

2 Likes

I hate spoilers so much, but I love trailers more than I hate spoilers. For some reason I was not truly hype until I watched the trailer

That was actually a completely different system, Hosnian Prime. The New Republic didn’t use Coruscant as its capital, and it moved every few years via a voting system.

1 Like

Just finished the movie, it was pretty great.

#Spoilers Ahead

#I warned you

It was really long, and I felt it could’ve been shortened. Some parts dragged on for too long, like the beginning bomber scene. That was probably my biggest problem with the movie though, most others being minor ones that affect most movies, like forced humor. But it more than made up for it with all the amazingly epic scenes. I feel as if it relied on nostalgia a bit, but why wouldn’t it? Also, Force Ghosts can touch people and control the elements.

One thing that does bother me is all the loose ends, that likely won’t be tied up. Like who is Snoke? What was the island Luke was on? Why did it have the dark side pit? What was that big scary fish we saw in that one moment?

3 Likes

Just finished watching, and I won’t spoil a thing, but da mn, I loved it. Better in my opinion than TFA or rogue one, and definitely some of the Original trilogy movies and prequels. I need a lot more time to process it, but my initial response is a big two thumbs up.

2 Likes

I might be going to see the movie tonight so long as I get payed today

As is tradition, before I watch a recent Star Wars film, I like to listen to the soundtrack. Disney uploaded them to Vevo, but they were released out of order. As such, I compiled it for you guys in track order to listen to:

Not my favorite soundtrack but definitely not a weak one either. I can’t wait to watch the movie!

5 Likes

I watched The Last Jedi earlier yesterday, and all I can say is, wow. That was one heck of a movie. I wanted to give myself sometime before I made any claims, because sometimes, the hype can get to you, but without a doubt this is one of the best Star Wars movies thus far. I do have a few gripes with it, but they did not ruin the movie. Not quite sure what I’d rate it, but for now I’m going for a solid 9/10. The polarizing response from the fan base compared to the overwhelmingly positive response from critics, was very surprising to me, but I guess I should’ve seen it coming. I think a lot of it seems to be people just being butthurt about Star Wars in general, because almost every criticism I’ve seen from them is just flat out stupid. (I won’t put any spoilers) The issues that I had were actually completely different than what most fanboys are whining about. I thought that one subplot could’ve been handled a little better, and that a few jokes were a bit out of place. Those were my main issues.

All in all I highly recommend this movie, and I think going in with an open mind does help, because I think that sometimes we expect certain things to happen in movies, and this movie kind of reminds you that they don’t have to be that way. I could potentially recommend this if you disliked TFA, as this is not an Empire Strikes Back remake despite a few similarities. Just remember that the film does not go in a stereotypical direction at all, and that’s why it’s great.

8 Likes

So I’ve seen The Last Jedi. That’s all I’m going to say without going into spoilers. So… spoilers.

[spoiler] This was so much better than The Force Awakens. While there will be points you can say, oh, that’s kind of like The Empire Strikes Back, it’s not blatantly obvious like in The Force Awakens. It has some structural issues where a lot of stuff happens,
but… I’m wondering if it’s a bad thing. Finn and Rose’s trip to Canto Bite was a little odd, but we got to spend time with the characters. Characters that we won’t be able to see again until 2019. It felt a little bit like they just wanted a little time to let the characters exist. I liked Vice Admiral Holdo, and was sad to see her go considering the backstory she got in Leia: Princess of Alderaan. People will question why she wouldn’t tell Poe about the evacuation plan, but she knew he’d react the exact way he reacted. He went nuts and mutinied. Tell him outright and probably have him mutiny, or hide it from him for him to maybe figure it out or be forced to go along with it.

As someone who didn’t like all the people theorizing about who Snoke secretly was, I laughed when Kylo turned Anakin’s (yes, Anakin’s) saber toward Snoke and killed him. I want to know eventually how he rose to power, but at the end of the day, who cares who he really was? He’s there to serve Kylo Ren’s story arc and maintain the mantra that the Dark Side will always betray itself. Snoke wasn’t wrong with what he was saying. “I can feel Kylo turning the saber with his mind to destroy his ultimate enemy”, which is true. Snoke is kinda responsible for ruining Kylo’s life. That would make him Ben Solo’s ultimate enemy in my book.

Leia was handled really well. I liked how the bloodline of the Skywalkers is so strong that Leia was able to unconsciously pull herself back into the ship with the Force. And anyone complaining about how she could have survived in the vacuum of space, there was a shield around the ship, which could theoretically block out some of the…
spaciness of space and create a bit of an atmosphere. Plus, it’s space fantasy. The idea of Leia surviving in space bothers you, but space wizards doesn’t?

Aaaaannnnnddddd Rey is a nobody. Whoop! Unless it’s a misdirection from Kylo Ren (which IS possible) she’s not descended from anyone important, so take that anyone who thinks everything has to be connected in every little way.

Also… YODA. Holy cow, Yoda. That’s the biggest surprise I’ve ever seen in a Star Wars film. The puppet looked really fake at first, but as he moved around and talked a bit, the effect really worked. And his wisdom for Luke about the “sacred Jedi texts”
was perfect. Great moment in the film.

Luke was done really well, and I love that he realized everything that was wrong with the Jedi Order during the waning days of The Old Republic. I was a little annoyed that Luke went from “time for the Jedi to end, there must be balance” to “nope, we’ll always need Jedi and it’s Rey”. Otherwise I felt he was perfect.

I almost cried several times during this movie, partially because of my love for Star Wars, and because of the real-life events of Carrie Fisher’s passing, which made certain things a little more sentimental. R2 showing Luke the “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi” message made the screen blur. It would have been a nice scene if what happened hadn’t happened, but it was super emotional because of.

Anything I didn’t like about The Force Awakens was fixed with this film. Is The Last Jedi perfect? No, but I feel it’s a vast improvement over what J.J. Abrams got wrong with VII (and hopefully won’t screw up again in IX). Bring on the next film to close out the trilogy.

Oh. Phasma is dead. That’s all the time I’m spending on her because that’s how long the film spent on her. Waste of a character.[/spoiler]

9 Likes

After seeing this movie twice, a close friend and I have come to a conclusion: there are two kinds of people in this world–people who love the Last Jedi, and people who don’t understand the Last Jedi.

I’m glad to see that most people here are of the former group…

6 Likes

I completely agree with that statement

People who don’t understand are generally not open to creativity

3 Likes

Rip my profile pic.

6 Likes

I think The Last Jedi will have an Empire effect and will be looked upon with disdain from a lot of people until the trilogy can be watched back-to-back-to-back. It’s not close to perfect like The Empire Strikes Back is, but it did a lot of stuff right and has some big effects for IX going forward.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that. Sometimes people just need to see the completed picture, and right now we have an outline with a little bit of color in it.

3 Likes

Indeed. The sheer nuance in this film, I think, has simply flown over many people’s heads…but that’s what you get when people say they don’t want a reboot of Empire but actually do (and I mean that seriously, as several reviewers discussing the way they thought this movie should have gone basically described a reboot of Empire).

4 Likes

Coming from someone that liked TFA, this movie was awful. Sorry guys, I’m done with these movies.

3 Likes

Why tho…

3 Likes

Why spoiler that when it doesnt spoil the movie

#:thinking:

No seriously why though