Star Wars Topic

I certainly won’t be paying to see any of Disney’s Star Wars movies ever again.

1 Like

I’ll give Abrams a chance at Episode IX but I sincerely hope he doesn’t remake episode VI. If he does I want him to be fired (but it would seem that sticking to what has already been done is exactly what Lucasfilm, Disney, and Kennedy want).

Everyone seems to forget that JJ was stuck in fanboy hell during development for VII.
Internet thought he was terrible.
Fanboys hated prequels for being too different.
He knew people would freak out if he tried to be different as well.
Basically, his only way to make a film that didn’t end in an assassination was to call back so heavily to IV that saying that you didn’t like VII would be equivalent to dissing ANH.
Also, if VIII is as different as Rian says it is, then it wouldn’t be logical for IX to be a VI remake.

5 Likes

People swearing off all Star Wars after the Disney purchase sounds incredibly immature IMO. It’s like “ew you touched my toy and I don’t like you keep it”.

4 Likes

also as much as people like to blame disney for everything

it’s really not them, they distribute and give money to do stuff

lucasfilm is in charge of stories, plotlines and everything

but I suppose it’s easier to not do research and just blame the mouse

3 Likes

I totally get that this was an old discussion, but I have to point out that you just described 95% of G1 Bonkle.

2 Likes

Everyone should calm down about Chris terrio writing episode nine for now. Just because he wrote BvS doesn’t mean he’s a bad writer, remember he also wrote Argo which is an academy award winning film. I’d be worried more if it was David S Goyer than terrio. I’d wait until justice league comes out, then you can make your judgement.

1 Like

Star Wars The Return of the lense flairs…you think Im joking. THIS IS LITERAL and figurative.

I really don’t trust JJ to get Rey right. I don’t like her character arc (or lack thereof) in VII so I doubt he will fix it for IX.

1 Like

Part of me thinks they will completely ignore where Rey came from, and if they do, I will be very disappointed. There is so much potential for an interesting backstory and I hope it is not wasted.

I think there’s an interesting backstory for her for sure, but I really don’t want her to be related to or have connections to any of the previous characters. Sure, it would be cool if Ezra and Sabine were Rey’s parents (however doubtful), and it would be really stupid and contradictory to character if Obi-Wan was her grandfather, but I think maybe her parents having some connection to the rise of the First Order would be interesting.

Like some Imperials that were her parents left her on Jakku as a sacrifice or something and then went to help form the First Order. That is way better than her just being a Skywalker or something.

1 Like

I completely agree here. Episode VIII will place a lot of weight on Episode IX story-wise, whether that turns out good or bad is to be determined. I admit I’m skeptical for Episode IX, but we need to remember that Episode VIII isn’t out yet, and that will play play a factor in how IX will close the trilogy. I have faith in Episode VIII and am looking forward to it, Rian Johnson seems to be a talented director. Yes, it still has the potential just like anything else to be good or bad, but that’s part of why we reserve judgment until the movie out. I’d focus on that movie’s success at the moment rather than IX’s.

4 Likes

I certainly don’t want Rey to be a Skywalker. One possibility that I think would work is that Rey is related to Benicio del Toro’s character, as his role is so far a mystery. Or, she is the daughter of another new character completely, of course. However, I do agree trying to connect Rey to existing characters would not make the best backstory.

2 Likes

Oohh, I hadn’t even thought of that Benicio del Toro thing (that’s speculation at this point, not a spoiler). That’s a really good idea! JD is so a code name akin to “Blue Harvest”.

Just heard this episode nine Abrams thing from my dad. He’s a total nerd in this sort of sci fi speculation stuff and he thinks that it’s a bad idea (although he liked episode seven, so I don’t really get his reasoning).

I’m not very knowledgeable about films but I find Abrams to be incredibly imaginative and different. He always seems to come up with such creative ideas that I don’t understand this negativity. So yeah, I think he’s been at making films.

Nah, I’m with you there; that said, it’s all in the execution. Chances that you’re referring to DJ?

Besides Palpatine taking over, these ideas were pulled off far better in KOTOR II: The Sith Lords.

The prequels are hit and miss, simply put. The score was good, as was the effects and world building, and you had good casting, but the direction was just awful, and that’s why the whole thing just fell through.

Not to say I dislike the prequels, but they are heavily flawed, and unfortunately good ideas doesn’t make up for poor acting and writing when it comes to a film.

THANK YOU. Nobody can please everyone, and it feels like Star Wars fanboys are just ravenous beasts.

Sure, Disney’s been doing some… Questionable stuff, but honestly it’s for the better in my opinion. Getting new directors for each film in a series is risky, and sometimes they’ll do things you don’t want. Hopefully Disney’s choices were for the better.

5 Likes

Yes. DJ isn’t a real name, unless you live in the Full House world.

Poor acting?

Aside from the infamous sand scene, a few instances of Robo Portman, and maybe one or two debatable times, the acting was pretty great all around. Ian McDiarmid killed it as Palpatine/Sidious. Ewan McGregor is fantastic as young Obi-Wan. Liam Neeson is one of the most iconic Jedi characters, and his acting was awesome. Sam L. Jackson acted Mace Windu well. He was a stoic Jedi Master, which is far different from his usual range of characters he plays. Hayden Christensen get’s a lot of flak, but I went over him in my novella above.

Honestly the weakest link feels like Natalie Portman as Padme. She’s fine in Episode I, since she’s a 14 year old Queen probably trying to act mature for the adults, she gets a couple of moments in Episode II, and Episode III she just kind of sits around and dies. I’m not really sure she’s that great of an actress, but, granted, the only other films I’ve ever seen her in are Thor and Thor: The Dark World.

I know. Just wasn’t sure about JD. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes poor acting. Natalie Portman and Kiera Knightly in the Phantom Menace had no vocal variety, Jake Lloyd was just cringy, Hayden Christiansen gave flat performances unless there was literally no dialogue, in which case he shined. Samuel L. Jackson was horribly miscast for Phantom Menace, because he doesn’t play a calm, passive type of person well. Only Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, and Ian McDarmid did good acting.

And let’s not forget about Jar Jar Binks. Don’t give me that “sith lord” crud, either. He was a poorly executed character that drug down The Phantom Menace, and is one of the reasons why a potentially-good movie turned out sucky.

Also, the “sith” characters did not get enough screen time to make them shine. The largest example is Darth Maul, who had one of the coolest looks for a sith, especially with his unique lightsaber. Because he didn’t get enough screen time, he became one of the most lame Star Wars characters and had to be rectified in the Clone Wars. The best one IMO was General Grevious. The only one pulled off well was Darth Sidious, and that’s because Ian McDarmid is a splendid actor and didn’t let a bad script get in his way.

If you look at the ideas for the prequels, they’d be amazing if only the script took more risks and the direction was better. But it didn’t. That’s why they’re regarded as horrible.

At least they’re very quotable, but that’s because Carrie Fisher actually worked as a script doctor for Lucas in order to help the dialogue get better. I fear if she didn’t assist him the dialogue could have been worse.

Oh she’s a phenomenal actress, she just did a really bad performance in the prequels because George Lucas failed to direct her well.

As a student actor, I can testify that actors rely a TON on the director, otherwise we won’t know how to execute the director’s vision. If you have a bad director, most likely the film or play you’re making is gonna be bad.

I’m not trying to hate on the prequels, I like them. They just have too many problems.

2 Likes