Star Wars Topic

jd means juvenile delinquent
at least in the 60s it did
idk about you but benicio del toro doesn’t seem much of a juvenile or a delinquent

You sure that he didn’t just mix up “JD” with “DJ”?

-Azani

2 Likes

idk how people mix up juvenile delinquents and disk jockeys
¯_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: why do underscores italicize things
i thought that was the asterisk’s job

3 Likes

Sorry man, I think Liam neeson is a brilliant actor, but qui gon jinn was a complete idiot.

Well considering one was trying to mimic the other…

I think that’s just a matter of perspective. I’ve never had a problem with his performance (except maybe his YIPPEEE, that was kinda bad). To each his own on that one.

It varies for me for sure. His “I have brought, peace, justice, and security to my new Empire!” does fall pretty flat, I’ll agree. Other times I think he does a fantastic job, like after the Tusken Massacre.

This is probably again a matter of perspective. I saw his performance in the prequels and then didn’t see him in another role until I saw Captain America: The First Avenger for the first time. That’s from 2004ish to 2011, and even then he didn’t get much time to shine until Avengers in 2012, and then I really started to discover his other roles and how different Windu was from them. I think he plays it fine, but again, by experience with his acting may play a factor in that.

I won’t. I don’t subscribe to that theory. I can see the evidence that it could have been a thing, but it wasn’t, so it doesn’t matter (personally I don’t think it was ever a thing anyway).

I wish she had fixed all the dialogue on Naboo following the arrival to the lake house. All of that needed a rewrite.

How was he an idiot? I see people say this and the usual response is “because he told Obi-Wan to train Darth Vader!”, but that doesn’t hold up. Hitler’s parents didn’t know how he would turn out. It’s not really fair to criticize someone for something that they had zero idea would happen.

I’d love to see some different examples on this opinion.

Literally everyone was telling qui gon that training this kid was a terrible idea because they felt a darkness emanating off of him.

your forgetting that Qui Gon Jinn revealed to Yoda and Obi-Wan how they could become force ghost.

and no, this is not Legend status, this is canon.

Infact, he is in the current canon, the first Jedi to have learned this, and become a force ghost.

2 Likes

Now, listen here, folks.

I am not someone who will defend the prequels till my last breath. The prequels, are, in fact, mostly a pile of bantha dung. Except for RotS, which is a good movie.

But the prequels, more specifically AotC, was my first visual entrance into Star Wars. As such, I have a ton of love and nostalgia riding on them. So, I don’t think they are the best things ever. But I do love them.

I don’t think the prequels are the worst films ever, but I still find them to be relatively bad. They have some good moments and interesting ideas, but that doesn’t make up for the rest. The Phantom Menace is a rather poor introduction to the trilogy. The more I think about it we don’t really need a story about a child Anakin, it’s pretty irrelevant and doesn’t help with the transition to Darth Vader at the end of the trilogy. The build up just feels kinda rushed, and while I agree that Episode III is the best of the prequels, remember that it also creates a huge number of inconsistencies with the original movies.

I want to get to the subject of the acting specifically, it’s overall a lot worse than the OT, but lets not let nostalgia cloud our judgement, Episode IV had the occasional awkward line, and this problem can likely be traced back here to his very first film. George Lucas is infamous for some of his dialogue choices, I remember an interview were Mark Hamill begged Lucas to remove a line that was just so bad that he couldn’t get himself to say it again. The reason why this was generally better handled in the OT is for mainly two reasons:

1. George Lucas only directed the first film.

2. Even when Lucas still had involvement, other people were there to put there ideas into play.

This does apply to other things besides the acting, but I think most of you will get my point. As soon as Lucas has more control over things he starts getting a little goofy with his films. He had more control with the dialogue and no one questioned his choices this time around. Thus bad dialogue. I disagree that this is personal preference, people don’t talk the way most characters talk in the prequels.

1 Like

I am aware of that, but I’m talking about the film on its own. A character in a film should be able to stand on their own, not artificially made better with books and tv shows. And even if you use this, it’s basically saying the only useful thing he did was after he died.

I think that was mostly George’s doing TBH. He still had a large part in writing, and he controlled what Carrie had to fix.

That’s because the Jedi Council didn’t like the idea of a child becoming a Jedi with attachments. The Council feared the dark side, which is why they failed to begin with.

Qui-Gon is probably one of the most intelligent Jedi in the regard of understanding prophecy and the importance of human relationships. He was a realist, not an idealist like the rest of the Jedi. Which is why he made a connection with Obi-Wan quite well, and understood the dangers of the dark side greater than most Jedi. He was also an excellent negotiator. If anyone was qualified to teach Anakin, it had to be Qui-Gon.

However, when he was killed by Darth Maul, his only other hope was his apprentice, Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon had to leave the fate of the Chosen One with a Jedi who was the best at keeping the rules and a Council that did not trust him and treated him harshly. Anakin was given the wrong mentorship because he grew up with dark passions, something the Jedi didn’t know how to address BECAUSE they avoided the dark side. They refused to understand it, thus it led to their destruction.

You seem to forget that it’s implied that Qui-Gon learned how to become a Force Ghost in Episode 3. Yoda brings this up to Obi-Wan.

This isn’t limited to the clone wars; if you follow the logic of the films, Qui-Gon literally taught Yoda and Obi-Wan how to become force ghosts.

So add this onto the facts that:

• He discovered the Chosen One and managed to use negotiations alone to assure his freedom from slavery.
  • He figured out how to become a Force Ghost
  • He and Obi-Wan managed to stop the Invasion of Naboo.

Yeah, Qui-Gon is a pretty darn good Jedi in my book.

8 Likes

He cheated on a dice roll and put some guy out of business to ensure his safety.

And sure he figured out how to become a force ghost, but they put that in a line in a movie that came out five years after the first. But what I’m saying about a character standing on its own shouldn’t require more than one film. In the original Star Wars Han Solo was a good character that didn’t need to be improved by two people talking about him in a sequel.

Yeah, because it was a weighted die. He would have lost if he hadn’t used the force. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, Watto was using slaves to begin with, which was highly illegal, by what Padme says. Watto deserved to go out of business.

But he still is good in The Phantom Menace. He helped save a queen from a hostile takeover, saved Jar Jar’s life (OK that might not be as good), he had lots of depth since he was defiant against the order, etc.

He’s a 3 dimensional character. He has struggles, and has passions (AKA training the chosen one). He’s one of the most well written characters in the prequel trilogy. He was only held down by a bad script, but even in it he shone.

I’m sorry, but he is a good character, you must see it.

Yeah but Han also got more screen time than Qui-Gon due to, you know, not dying. If we compared Han and Qui-Gon for their first appearances, I’d say they’re equal. Qui-Gon is defiant and struggles with the council, and Han manages to make a change of mind and help the Rebellion, thus becoming a hero.

Of course Han Solo is the better character in my book, but that doesn’t mean Qui-Gon is bad.

5 Likes

actually… i checked wookieepedia, and it’s not said in the canon lore that he did go out of bussiness.

Well at least by episode 2 it looked like his business got worse at least.

But that’s besides the point. Watto was an awful person.

4 Likes

It’s legal in Hutt space

Not according to Padme, and she’s a legit politician. It’s only overlooked in Hutt space because they hold an enormous amount of power.

3 Likes

Something to always keep in mind:

Just because something isn’t dealt with doesn’t mean it’s legal

2 Likes

That’s what I mean. Nobody does anything about it.

1 Like

She’s a politician for the republic, and Hutt space is a separate entity seeing that the republic and separatist needed permission to pass through during their space