Star Wars Topic

And that would be…?

Oh, just about everything that isn’t a fight scene or directly plot-relevant

2 Likes

Pretty much. If we were to cut out parts of the movie that weren’t plot relevant, you’d have an overall much shorter movie.

Most of it’s the political stuff, and yes, you could say some of this showcases the corruption of the council, but the thing is it’s too drawn out and long winded and usually goes on less related tangents, so I can’t say it does this well at all.

3 Likes

Could you guys specify specific filler scenes? The politic parts are important to the plot if you pay attention, they just weren’t executed well.

4 Likes

fun fact

my girlfriend rewatched revenge of the sith and skipped through every scene with padme in it and said nothing of value was lost

dunno if you guys will agree with that, but i find it hilarious

8 Likes

Let’s see…

Most anything involving Jar Jar, since they added little plot and only one or two were really ever necessary
The “Anakin blows up the Droid control ship and is the best hero” thing
Basically anytime Anakin and Padme were alone for more than half a minute
The space fight with Jango Fett
The majority of the space battles in general
The scenes devoted to R2 being R2… With almost no-one else around and no sign of C-3PO
Every time Anakin’s haircut got in the way of the camera
The scene solely existing for George’s cameo, which could have been slipped into a relevant scene
The tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Forgettable
The scene where Padme is suddenly an angel and the eyes of Star Wars fans with a heart for Star Wars bled out of the sockets
“Not just the men, but the women and children too”
The scenes involving Zam’s existence
The scenes where Flesh Diner Grievous exists
Every moment where Anakin, Padme, Jar Jar, or Obi-Wan makes us realize these films are empty and heartless

There are scenes here that add things to the plot, but with a little tweaking could have been about fifty-five hundred times better or written out entirely. If I missed something please let me know.

4 Likes

Can we talk about how in attack of the clones padme keeps saying she can’t be with Anakin but she’s wearing less and less clothing in every consecutive scene.

2 Likes

Didn’t robot chicken spoof that?

Ohh yeah. Forgot about that.

Some of these ARE filler, but not all of them. I’ll address the ones I think are important.

“When I first met him he was an exceptional pilot.”

That’s fair IMO. Some of the romantic scenes were pointless and horribly written. I will say some scenes (like the pregnancy reveal in Episode 3) are important however.

Woah there. That’s incredibly important to not just the plot, but the lore of Star Wars. Palpatine told Anakin that to lure him into the dark side by suggesting it could give into his passions. Not only that, this is regarded as one of the best scenes of the film and is a huge part of Star Wars lore.

This is a scene showing Anakin getting into his dark passions. How is this filler?

It was part of the plot for Obi-Wan to track down Jango, and he was doing just that. This was also an astounding action scene besides Boba’s cringy dialogue.

???

I know you’re making a joke but it’s hard to tell what scene you’re talking about. This argument feels like a huge joke to me when you say things like this.

I’m OK with Jar Jar being removed, but this comment isn’t about filler. It’s about you hating the main cast in general, which is fine, but that’s not what the argument was.

We’re arguing about FILLER, not on how to execute these scenes better. You’re taking a jab at the prequels when saying this, not discussing how to improve them.

6 Likes

Not filler… this was the reason Padme had to leave Coruscant and pushed her and Anakin closer together…

Dexter Jetster knew how to find Kamino and told Obi-Wan about it, so not filler…

The only ones I’ll remotely agree with being filler are the romance scenes in Attack of the Clones just because they don’t work. Going on the concept alone of the two falling in love it’s 100% not filler, but since the presentation usually fails…

3 Likes

posted this in the battlefront thread but it’s still relevant

2 Likes

Which, as I said, could have been written a lot better and wasn’t.[quote=“Chronicler, post:615, topic:651”]
Woah there. That’s incredibly important to not just the plot, but the lore of Star Wars. Palpatine told Anakin that to lure him into the dark side by suggesting it could give into his passions. Not only that, this is regarded as one of the best scenes of the film and is a huge part of Star Wars lore.
[/quote]

…And the entire scene could have been compressed and altered into the Sith Palpy reveal.[quote=“Chronicler, post:615, topic:651”]
This is a scene showing Anakin getting into his dark passions. How is this filler?
[/quote]

Because he immediately spins around to Padme and the love ‘plot’ continues.[quote=“Chronicler, post:615, topic:651”]
I know you’re making a joke but it’s hard to tell what scene you’re talking about.
[/quote]

Episode 1. The only time the word Angel is used in Star Wars… And it still didn’t need to.[quote=“Chronicler, post:615, topic:651”]
I’m OK with Jar Jar being removed, but this comment isn’t about filler. It’s about you hating the main cast in general, which is fine, but that’s not what the argument was.
[/quote]

Specifically, the writing in those scenes. But I really should have listed some, my apologies.[quote=“prentice1215, post:616, topic:651”]
Not filler… this was the reason Padme had to leave Coruscant and pushed her and Anakin closer together…
[/quote]

Because a dead alien and Anakin abusing traffic safety laws. Like, Episode 1 solved this - and I used solved loosely - by saying “Padme doesn’t like Palpy not doing anything, so time to back cue Jar Jar screaming”. Sequels, from last I checked in Star Wars, try to do something better than the last.[quote=“prentice1215, post:616, topic:651”]
Dexter Jetster knew how to find Kamino and told Obi-Wan about it, so not filler…
[/quote]

You’re missing the point.

Dexter Jetster’s entire existence was unnecessary because they could have given that pat out any other way. For instance, it was stuck super deep in the jedi Archives and the hider (Was it Quinlan Vos I forget) did a poor job at it, and since nobody else looked, Obi-Wan brings it up.

Would we have met Flesh Diner Grievous that way? no, but while that mock-up scene that took me half a second to think up would be very lackluster, it would still be an improvement.[quote=“Chronicler, post:615, topic:651”]
We’re arguing about FILLER, not on how to execute these scenes better. You’re taking a jab at the prequels when saying this, not discussing how to improve them.
[/quote]

With all due respect, most of the scenes I listed here are filler because of how they’re filmed. Had they been filmed in a much better manner, they would be reasonable scenes that kept us engaged in what was going on. But thanks to George and whoever else there was, they weren’t, and so the plot points can just be shoehorned into another preexisting scene which wasn’t much better to begin with, or flat-out dropped because the little plot that was there wasn’t that worth keeping.

I’d really love for the Prequels to be good. But do we have to go through with a cleaver before they can get that way?

2 Likes

Oh that one. Yeah that was pure cringe.

Yeah. I know. That’s kind of the point.

Would have been too fast and would have screwed up the pacing. I get most of the prequel trilogy sucks, but Palpatine’s rise to power was the best plot in the films and was executed quite well. It was slow and steady. That’s how a politician becomes powerful, not by going fast.

That’s not the definition of filler. It’s just a horribly-directed film. Filler is used to make the plot beefier without adding anything to it. Most scenes in the prequels do tell the story (albeit a horribly executed one), even if they are boring.

3 Likes

Well, not necessarily.

Palpatine brings about this story not in front of a giant fish ball, but discussing privately. Anakin walks in and relents on Padme, Obi-Wan, and everything bringing him to the boiling point. Palpatine talks about a Force user capable of saving the lives of the ones he loved. As the story progresses Anakin becomes suspicious, and Palpatine reveals the name Darth Plagueis the Wise.

Now Anakin sees the plot. Palpatine was a sith after all, and the story possibly phony. He rushes off to inform Mace Fury about his sudden brainpower, unable to shake the compelling story told to him, the author of the inspiring tale manipulating him with the dark side with every word. And then Mace Fury loses his one good eye and begins the Snoke fandom.

1 Like

I’m repeating redlettermedia when I say this but In the prequels anakin wasn’t as obi wan said “seduced by the dark side” he was just kinda tricked.

2 Likes

See though this forgets about the rest of the film. For example, what about the droid attack on the wookiees? It was a system they couldn’t afford to lose.

2 Likes

I think episodes II and III aren’t so much filler filled as they are unnecessarily drawn out. Though, I would still say there are still scenes that could have easily been cut. I wouldn’t say Episode I is even 25% filler or anything like that, but I’d say it has the most out of all of them, a lot of it goes back to the focus on Anakin as a kid (which again, could have been completely rewritten).

Jar Jar as a character is almost 100% filler though.

4 Likes

I still say Jar Jar was supposed to be an antithesis to Yoda, but Lucas backed out of that plot-thread after fans reacted terribly to The Phantom Menace.

1 Like

why is anakin space jesus

4 Likes