Star Wars Topic

It’s better than “nerfherder: orgins” and I quite like the logo, I like how it looks like the empire strikes back logo.

2 Likes

Both the logo and the name for the Han Solo film bothers me.

For starters, the logo. It’s generic beyond belief and doesn’t really convey the feeling that you’re going to go see a movie about Han Solo. Sure, there’s a comparison to be made here when it comes to the slight tilt it’s on since Empire had a similar thing going on, but the connection is loose at best. Honestly, I preferred the DL-44 logo variant we saw a while back on the production team’s shirts.

Then there’s the name, Solo: A Star Wars Story. Although “Solo” is a pretty boring name, I think it’s fine for what it is. However, my real issue is with the tacked on “A Star Wars Story” phrase. Why would you relegate the story of one of your most important and well known character’s lives to a tag that makes everything seem smaller, less grandiose? It worked well in Rogue One because that’s what their story was: an extremely small piece of the SW puzzle. However, Han Solo’s life isn’t that kind of tale. It’s not apart of a Star Wars story; His life is apart of THE Star Wars story. Is this point small in the long scheme of things? Yes, it it, but it annoys me beyond belief.

8 Likes

I just rewatched baby driver and I’d prefer Ansel elgort as Han Solo. I like Emilia Clarke and woody harrleson so I’m fine with them being in it. I’m disappointed with Michael k Williams being cut out. But mark my words Donald Glover as Lando will steal the entire movie, that’s what has me most excited.

That’s the thing, this is a story. In Star Wars. It’s a story in Star Wars. The prefix “A Story” gave the director some liberties in Rogue One, and I believe the title is being applied here to give them liberties again.

2 Likes

I dunno why they didn’t go with “Smuggler’s Run: A Star Wars Story.” Would have been a far more interesting title, and would have still hinted at Han Solo.

I also don’t understand why it took several months for it to change from “Untitled Han Solo Film” just to “Solo: A Star Wars Story.”

3 Likes

Because the film will probably make Han look like anything but Han, and they need some resemblance. /S

To be honest, it’s probably some stupid management team’s decision, although I don’t see such a bulky title like Smuggler’s Run: A Star Wars Story rolling off the tongue, and familiarity often beats quality in the movie business.

1 Like

It’s not a bulky title. Something like “Revenge of the Sith” and “The Phantom Menace” are bulky but they worked nicely. “Smuggler’s Run” would be the true title for the film, kinda like how Rogue One was. The “Star Wars Story” title is just to show it’s an anthology film.

Am I the only one who misses when these films were all going to be called Star Wars Anthology: Insert Title Here?

Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One

Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo

Star Wars Anthology: Kenobi

Those seem like better titles to me.

2 Likes

Perhaps the words, but we’re talking about a blockbuster film. Smuggler’s Run sounds good, but it also really sounds like a fan film. Although what’s more concerning is the implications being set here. With Solo as the title, we know it’s about Han, maybe a little too much Han, but Han nonetheless.

2 Likes

So did “Rogue One” in my opinion and look where that ended up.

3 Likes

Eh, true.

I wonder what aspect of previous canon will be applied in the movie, or if certain things will be stolen under the cover of darkness and thrown in a blender like with some aspects of Rogue One.

1 Like

Well there’s certainly going to be something on Chewbacca’s life debt. Knowing the film is gonna have imperials, I have a feeling Jabba’s line where he mentions Han “dropped cargo in the sight of an Imperial cruiser” is gonna come into place too. No doubt the presence of Lando is gonna show how he lost the Millennium Falcon to Han.

1 Like

“Hey, even I get boarded sometimes…”

I’d love for that to be part of the climax, a high-stakes game of Sabacc where Lando and Han are trying to swindle a guy, but as the tides turn toward them they start to betray each other, and Han eventually wins the Falcon. It’d play really nicely into Lando’s opening “You no good swindler!” line from Empire, because not only did he swindle Lando, but he also betrayed him. A bit different from Legends where it seemed like it was just a simple card game.

1 Like

We’re talking about Phil Lord as the dire-

Phil Lord?

Oh…

1 Like

Getting off the topic of Han Solo. Other than obi-wan, my dream Star Wars anthology is a bounty hunter movie directed by Edgar Wright. I just rewatched baby driver and he’s great at putting together a criminal underworld. I know he’ll probably not want work with Disney after ant man, but he’s said he’s a massive Star Wars fan. Plus we’d probably get Simon pegg as dengar and who wouldn’t like that.

2 Likes

Would his style be right for a Star Wars film though? As much as I would like to see it too, I don’t think Disney would let him do it, and we’d have Ant-Man all over again.

So Tag and Bink are going to be in the Han Solo movie.

4 Likes

Edgar Wright is great at doing things that I didn’t think he could do. Like I didn’t think he could do a car chase and then baby driver comes along, and he not only does a car chase he does one of my favorite car chases of all time. I think he’ll never work with marvel again but he’s talked about how big of a Star Wars fan he is and has said he’d do it if he had the opportunity. I feel lucasfilm would have to give him wiggle room though.

Already heard about this, now I’m desperately wanting them to be in their own Anthology film.

1 Like

join the club pal