Star Wars Topic

I can agree on that. They should take another extensive break from making movies, a 5-year break at the very least. Instead of rushing in with another mediocre trilogy, they should take the time to actually plan it out from the start.
Unfortunately, the next trilogy of films is already planned to start in 2022, so it seems like they aren’t gonna take any significant break any time soon.

3 Likes

I agree with most of what you said, but I have to disagree on Rogue One and Solo, definitely some of the best content Star Wars has come out with in the past 5 years alongside the new Clone Wars, Rebels, and Mando.

3 Likes

I don’t really count this as officially showing his death, though. Numerous ships in the battle were shown being struck and then recovering after Rey defeated Palpatine. There is nothing shown or mentioned afterwards that indicates Nien Nunb’s death, and even the actor who played him believed that he had survived until he was told otherwise.

Maybe I’m being too broad, but when I was talking about showing the death of a popular character, I meant actually acknowledging it. Nien Nunb’s death may be seen for a second onscreen, but it’s never mentioned, just as the Tantive IV’s destruction isn’t mentioned. I know that it seems petty to be upset by the death of a minor character and a ship, but the carelessness of revealing this stuff after the fact just bothers me…

4 Likes

Huh. Then I guess it’s not a total retcon.

They’ve said that it’s a whole new trilogy, not connected to the Skywalker saga. That at least means we’ve got something new coming.

In hopes of taking this topic is a more positive direction, whats everyone’s favorite Disney Star Wars piece of media?

I’d say probably Mandalorian. There wasn’t a single episode I didn’t thoroughly enjoy (some ever so slightly less than others though)

1 Like

I loved the Mandalorian and am hyped for more. It’s definitely the best Disney has brought us so far imo. It takes the idea of westerns and samurai films, something that was technically always a part of SW and brings it more to its core. That alone made it appealing for me. In a way it’s a show that reminds me a bit of the cartoon Samurai Jack.

I am hearing things about Boba Fest coming in season 2, and I’m kind of hoping that this is just a rumor, or that his involvement is kept at a minimum. I don’t really want any big connections to the OG trilogy to any other past media.

2 Likes

Resistance, two seasons of the show made me be able to appreciate the time period, when three feature length films could not.

1 Like

Major disagreement here.

Major agreement here. However, I think that if a film fails at being entertainment, which in the grand majority of cases should be its primary purpose, it is immediately a bad film. You can have a bad movie that’s entertaining, but I have yet to see a good movie that’s flat-out boring. A lot of people seem to think the movies I love are boring, but I still find them immensely entertaining.

I don’t care who the director is to judge a movie, I care about the final product (with the exclusion of Taika Watiti, the man is a legend). I still think both were entertaining, and Rogue One at least was stupendous. Great characters, engaging story and setting, I even like Jyn Erso more than any other main protagonist out there in live action Star Wars.

I would say Rogue One again, followed by Mandalorian, and then the final four episodes of Clone Wars.

3 Likes

Can anyone help me identify a Star Wars book I remember reading part of ages ago? It starts with a guy living on a world full of droids, and he is even part of a droid family. He goes to work or whatever and there is something about that planet zapping Tatooine into a desert. And there were also illustrations, one of the guy and his droid family and one of wheeled ground vehicles shooting at the Millennium Falcon.

Hmmm, it wouldn’t be The Lost City of the Jedi, would it?

1 Like

I don’t remember that particular image, but that does sound like its what I was thinking of. Thanks! I’ve been wondering about that off and on for a long time.

1 Like

star wars should have ended after return of the jedi

3 Likes

But then we would never have gotten the Mandalorian.

4 Likes

a sacrifice that must be done… for the greater good…

3 Likes

Today, Disney announced a lot of upcoming Star Wars projects for Disney+. We’ve got an Obi-Wan Kenobi series, the Cassian Andor series, the Bad Batch series, Season 3 of The Mandalorian, an Ahsoka series, a theatrical Rogue Squadron movie, and a bunch of others that I can’t think of off the top of my head.

Most of these sounds pretty good, but I can’t help noticing that the sequel trilogy seems to be being ignored.

A while back, there was a rumor that Disney was planning on erasing the sequel trilogy from canon, but that rumor has since died down. From the way the wind is blowing, it seems like Disney is going to just let the sequel trilogy be while they keep moving forward with The Mandalorian and the other Disney+ series.

But the amount of series that aren’t related to the sequel trilogy kind of worries me. Does this mean that Disney will ultimately end up wiping them from canon? As a fan of the sequel trilogy, who loved all three of them (but still admits to some of their faults), I really don’t want that to happen. Don’t get me wrong, I’m open to having more stories set in the Star Wars universe. I’ve enjoyed The Mandalorian so far, and an Obi-Wan Kenobi series does sound good. And a Star Wars movie directed by the same director as Wonder Woman…count me in!

But good glory, there’s just so many of these projects! There’s so many, I’m worried that Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau are going to go in and knock the sequel trilogy from canon. Which, I think, is a very bad idea. Yes, the sequel trilogy has its detractors, but it has a good number of fans, too. And there’s the fact that all three movies made a billion dollars at the box office…which, admittedly, isn’t a very strong argument, but you can’t deny that they found success. To decanonize successful movies just doesn’t seem like a good move.

Now, if you dislike the sequel trilogy, that’s totally fine. But look at what happened with the prequels. Millions of fans hated them to the moon and back, but did Lucasfilm throw up their hands and decanonize them? No, they did not. They kept them part of the official canon. I really don’t see any reason not to do that with the sequels.

TLDR: I really don’t care what Lucasfilm/Disney does with their upcoming Star Wars projects, as long as they keep the sequels canon.

2 Likes

Way too much announced. Gonna get Star Wars fatigue.

2 Likes

Some analysts have said that one of the reasons the sequels got as much backlash as they did was because of franchise fatigue. We did get one new Star Wars movie every year from 2015 to 2019, so I find myself agreeing with this point. But there’s so much stuff coming in the next few years, I think fatigue is gonna hit even harder.

1 Like

They got backlash because they frankly were not very good and they failed to even plan them out.

2 Likes

I really don’t see the point of so many Disney + series being made. Just having the Mandalorain and maybe the Obi-Wan series would be enough. Like, who in the world asked for a Cassian Andor series? As much as I think Rogue One is one of the best things to come out of Disney Star Wars so far, that movie’s strenght wasn’t its characters. Even if the series is good, why would I care to waste my time with a series about a character I couldn’t care less about?
One of the main reasons Solo failed at the box office was because it was a movie nobody wanted or even cared about. I think the same could be said about this Cassian Andor series.
As for the other ones, although they do sound somewhat interesting, I still don’t really feel the need to watch them all.

1 Like

Everyone who complained about Cassian flip flopping too easy at the end of the 2nd act.

Also everyone who wants more K-2SO, which I think is… almost everyone? :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a key difference between all of these projects. Franchise fatigue for Star Wars might have set in with a new movie every year for five years because it costs money to go to the movies. I’d also argue Solo didn’t perform at the box office because it was the fourth blockbuster to come out in as many weeks. Avengers Infinity War was first, followed by Deadpool 2, something else that escapes me, and then Solo.

I think it was less Star Wars fatigue (although Episode VIII being out a mere five months earlier and Solo’s public BTS problems didn’t help) and more movie fatigue in general. People needed a break from spending upwards of $100+ a weekend going to see the big new thing that was out.

These new shows on the other hand will cost the viewer nothing but time and the subscription fee for Disney+. If anything, there is now a greater incentive for someone to watch these shows because of that. It won’t cost them anything extra to watch The Bad Batch so why not give it a shot? People have done that with Mando and it’s arguably the hottest streaming show of the last year. If they can continue to pump out quality shows, Star Wars TV could see a surge in popularity similar to the early seasons of the MARVEL Netflix stuff before the internal civil war started.

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage Season 1 and Daredevil Season 2 were THE THING to watch that weekend the seasons dropped. With the way Mando has done, if they can keep the quality between the shows consistent you could have a whole year of new Star Wars every week between the different shows that are ongoing. People will easily sit down for 35 minutes every Friday to watch the new episode of Lando Calrissian.

The consumer has nothing to lose by watching at least the first episode of every new show that comes out. And I also don’t think some of these shows are going to run for multiple seasons. Cassian, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, and the New Republic show I think are just going to be one season. Bad Batch may get multiple, we’ll have to wait and see. I think the MARVEL shows are going to be similar. These are less traditional TV shows now and more long movies that are cut up into chunks and aired weekly. So the perception of a time commitment is going to not be as bad because an average fan can look at the Obi-Wan series and say “ehh, it’s just one season, I can binge that in a weekend”.

And the nice thing about the streaming service is that there’s no time limit like a theater. You can take as long as you need to get through a series, where with a theater, it’s there for five weeks or so and then gone until the Blu-Ray release. I think the more casual nature of the release for these shows are going to draw a lot of people in over time.

As for fatigue, I think MARVEL is more in danger. These Star Wars shows are coming out all over the course of the next 2-3 years. MARVEL has waaaaay more stuff launching in a more concentrated amount of time. Now that Endgame is done with, there’s lots of people that may be ready to jump ship for most of MARVEL’s stuff outside of Thor and Guardians sequels.

3 Likes