The Cons of Bionicle

Well, it is showing the invalidity of how an large story is a con, as per the topic.

ā€¦ how?

I had one year to memorize the entire storyline: I did and am a way bigger fan now, so it was a good thing Lego spent a lot of effort into crafting a large storyline, hence it not being bad (aka a con)

see, thatā€™s entirely subjective. Some will still view it as a con.

A better question is, why are we still talking about this? This whole topic could be considered subjective. I personally had no qualms with the '08 sets when I saw them, and I never really hated that all the sets I experienced were all essentially the same. All subjective cons.

If we werenā€™t looking at subjective cons we wouldnā€™t have a topic

ā€¦ ā€¦Yeah.

How about, instead of arguing, we agree to disagree.

Kay?

The story was too good for a kids toy line. If the toy line ended, the story would basically end too, which is exactly what happened, preventing years of added greatness to ever see the light of day.

The younger audience aim didnā€™t affect the original story too much, except maybe in the early years, but the Gen 2 story suffers heavily from an extreme level of simplification.

1 Like

Set-wise G2 is so much better then G1, the Toa Okoto have much more posability and functions, itā€™s a shame loads of people wear rose tinted glasses with G1, the mata although fun to play with, are terrible for posability, awful for most display and worse for looks and designs, when I tried to make my lewa walk he looked so silly you couldā€™ve thought he was drunk, I know the stars are gonna be mentioned but personally I like the stars and '05 because they tried something new, we had ever seen mutated toa before

1 Like

Iā€™m going to agree with everyone on the lack of female characters. While it had more than Ninjago and such, there were only 4 or 5 major ones, plus Macku and the Voya/Mahri Nui matoran whose names I canā€™t remember.
Also, speaking of important characters, the lack of sets for the REALLY important ones. The Great Beings needed sets, not to mention the fact that I always think of Cthun when I hear Tren Krom, and the Artakha Bull from the Metru Nui rahi beasts book when I hear Artakha.
Please
No judgement on my bullish views of your gods.

And that the Mistika were just the worst sets imaginable. The Phantoka, sure. They were cool, and I really liked Pohatuā€™s spinny thingamajiggers(please no judgement again). I wonā€™t lie that I didnā€™t like the orange, though. Brown needed to come back. Personally, Iā€™m fine with yellow just because that means more Keetorange and I like the color.

There are a lot of other tiny complaints that arenā€™t noteworthy.

And also the fact that there wasnā€™t enough ways to make feet not slide on big people and the enormous feet that Hahli Mahri and Tahu Mistika had.

PleZe forgive me for my transgressions against your religion of Bonkle.

1 Like

Not to mention that they got everyone excited by stating in 2009 that gender was no longer tied to specific elementsā€¦ and then just used this as an excuse to actually make fewer female characters.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised no one mentioned the conclusion of G2 yet.

2 Likes

The Conclusion Of Generation Two also no love I understand no reproduction but Maku and Huki sitting next to each other isnā€™t canon?

1 Like

This topic is the definition of my enemy/s

Blue pins and red axles.

And lime joints too.

2 Likes

One con of Bionicle (G1 specifically) is also one of my favorite parts: how spoiled rotten we were when it came to directly affecting the story. Every day I had the chance to ask Greg a question that influenced a canonization. More contests than I can count, from Lego, Greg, KanohiJournal, BZPower, BS01.

It was a beautiful privilege having the power to add to the universe you love, but I think it also set a bar that was unreasonably high. Poor Greg got dragged into canonicity conflicts too many times for it, guy just wanted to help us have fun and we threw a lot of fits at his expense. I remember it often seemed like people expected the right to change the story or add to it. Any other fandom, you just get an invitation to watch; we got a hand on the wheel and, much of the time, steered it into pointles conflict

Granted, other fandoms do that anyway so maybe Iā€™m off track

5 Likes

Finally. A man who speaks the truth. I find this true about most fandoms, that once the fans get a say, pointless conflict follows fast. Itā€™s the same with Star Wars. Their current shows donā€™t explicitly lead to the hated sequel movies, and they just basically killed off a character that would be needed for more Palpatine shenanigans to ensue. And yet, people are still mad that anyone associated with the First Order exists, even if the shows seem to be going a different direction.

2 Likes

Story wise, I dislike the Bohrok Kal a bit. Theyā€™re quite awkward in terms of the structure of the story, imo. The Toa Nuva repeat their arc from the Kal story in MoL, so it feels a lot like filler.

Ironically though, I do really enjoy 2005. Vakamaā€™s turn felt earned, and I like the expansion of the universe with the Dark Hunters, Visorak, and Vortixx.

I also dislike the decrease in mysticism over time. The theme leans hard into sci fi, and the mystery is gone.

3 Likes