The "Did You Know"/Fun Facts Topic

Still is

4 Likes

Did you know that in Japan, sticking chopsticks in food with their ends straight up is bad. It’s a sign of death or something similar.

1 Like

Flipping over fish while its on the plate is bad luck in some chinese coastal communities because it would mean that your fishing boat would flip over the next time you go out to sea

2 Likes

Did you know that the word for a misheard song lyric is a “Mondegreen?”

1 Like

this is also the word for a misheard word or phrase in general.

did you know that in sweden cutting a cake can tell if you are to get married or not. it is believed that when a cake is cut and Placed upon a plate without falling over that you will be married though if it falls you won’t.

this is very popular among Children during birthdays.

1 Like

Did you know that when you aren’t looking, your 1x1 plates with sprout mouths and start talking to each other? Here’s one caught in the act of whistling!

7 Likes

Man, I really wanna check now but the plates are probably seeing me look at this. They’ll probably stay silent forever now ):

1 Like

Did you know that when Ole Kirk Kristiansen, the founder of LEGO, was producing wooden toys in Billund, Denmark, his workshops had burned down twice: one in 1924, and the new one in 1942. The first fire was created by his three sons when they played with matches, and the second was the most devastating, as the new workshop had taken full advantage of the rented space and carried the designs for his toys, along with all of his stock. This would be for the better, however, because it lead him to create higher quality wooden toys and eventually, he purchased a plastic molding machine from England and his son Godfred would take the idea of stackable construction blocks in a system to create LEGO as we know it today.

2 Likes

I knew about the fires but I have no idea his sons started the first one, why the heck were they playing with matches?

2 Likes

I have no clue. They found them and were curious, I guess.

1 Like

Did you know that Santa is actually Italian?
In fact, Saint Nicholas is from Bari, in Puglia.

4 Likes

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series was called the “Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles” in Europe, because “Ninja” was thought to have been too violent of a word for a kids show over there.

2 Likes

And forget about Mikey’s weapon went from a pair of nun-chucks to a grappling hook because the European TV change.

4 Likes

Yet they kept Leo’s swords

2 Likes

Fun Fact;
You ever seen a couple of shoes haning on a power line on the street and wondered “hmm, whats all that about?”? well, that means there is a drugdealer nearby, and the quality of the shors indicated what drugs they ard selling

The more you know

I’m no drugdealer, I wanted to be a policeman, and you must know your enemy

1 Like

Wait really?

I used to go to cello lessons and I’d see a pair of white shoes on a power line every time, completely confused as to how it got up there and why somebody would do it.

This is sorta scary…

3 Likes

I have my doubts about this.

It has always seemed more like an urban legend than a thing actual drug dealers would do…

well they do, you just have to look at my neighbourhood

Have you confirmed that there are actual drug dealers behind the shoes?

Anybody can throw shoes over powerlines…

True enough, it’s also entirely possible that’s a local custom rather than a truth everywhere.

in America that’s also used to mark the territory of specific gangs in inner cities.