The Elder Scrolls

Sure, but it just feels weird that for a game that advertised itself like a blend of The Elder Scrolls games and a regular MMO just ends up as a somewhat regular MMO with some more open ended features. In fact, it was initially going to be a lot more open ended and not having restrictions on where you could go, but they changed it for an unknown reason.

But yeah, that itself was not something that I had a huge gripe with at the time of release, since I still found it to be a fun game barring the other issues it had at release.

2 Likes

My main issue with ESO is the fact that you progress faster than you level, and once you complete an area there’s no reason to go back. So you get to a point where you go, What do I do? Which is why one tamriel sounds great, it gets rid of that restriction. Also sharing champion points across accounts and the fact only one account needed to be level 10 or above for all accounts to access pvp. That meant my level 49 (or 59, whichever was before veteran ranks, haven’t played in a while) character in non veteran pvp could be 1 hit killed by some lvl 7 guy who probably has 3 champion accounts.

2 Likes

Dude you belong here.

We need you.

I hope that didn’t sound creepy.

2 Likes

Oh, I didnt know there was an Elder scrolls topic.

It didnt really sound creepy.

Anyway, which faction did you guys choose in Skyrim?
I’m for the Empire all the way!

2 Likes

Both sides are stupid.

Either way is a long term death sentence.

2 Likes

How? I would say siding with the Stormcloaks is a death sentence, as Skyrim cannot sustain itself as an independent nation, since it would most likely get utterly destroyed by the Dominion. Siding with the Empire, however, I would say is a chance to survive, as I think the Empire can still sustain itself, and can potentially beat the Dominion.

3 Likes

Have you noticed that the empire is doing horribly even with skyrim’s help?

Joining them isn’t survival. it’s hopping on the same crazy train they are.

Hammerfell has proven that a nation can survive without the empire.

The redgaurds cleared the Thalmor from their province and are doing fine depite the empire declaring them rogue.

TL;DR Skyrim can totally be independant but the Stormys are the wrong leadership.

2 Likes

The Empire is far from what it once was, true, but it isn’t doing horribly.
Just look at the Battle of the Red Ring. It proved the Empire can still win, and still has a fighting chance.

True, although they ceded from the Empire after the Great War, when the dominion was still weakened from fighting. Now, the Dominion has had a chance to recover, and is probably stronger then before.

3 Likes

The peak of Rome’s millitary was during it’s collapse.

Being able to win battles means nothing if the larger conflicts aren’t solved.

That is an argument to make but if it were the case than the dominion should have been able to wipe Hammerfell off the map by now. The In My Time of Need quest implys very heavilly that the Thalmor are trying (unsucsesfully) to infiltrate Hammerfell.

There is also a moral side to it.

If a government is willing to take your rights to fight an enemy. Do you think they’ll find an excuse to do it any time they feel like it?

The problem with the stormcloaks is warriors are all they are and all they’ll ever be. This is contrary to What we know of hammerfell’s current leadership.

Hammerfell is using commando tactics compared to the total conquest method of both the stormcloaks and imperials.

So if a hypothetical leader with an eye for tactics and the charisma to lead Skyrim arose, Then Skyrim could stand strong. In fact if they stay independant and build their forces they may be able to liberate the rest of the empire from the Thalmor.

Given the limited choices in-game however the imperials are slightly better. Staying with them is a slow death compared to the quick one of the stormcloaks.

2 Likes

It was at it’s peak numerically, however in almost every other way it was way worse than earlier times. Also, that battle did mean something- it regained the Imperial City, and convinced the Thalmor to accept a peace that allowed the Empire to survive.

The Dominion hasn’t wiped out Hammerfell because the period in which the Dominion had to recover from the Great War gave Hammerfell a chance to bolster it’s forces, and fortify the country.

3 Likes

Sort of true but the other thing to realize is the Dominion is currently making one of the biggest tactical no nos out there.

The Thalmor are trying to do everything at once. They can’t rebuild because they need to spend resources keeping the empire in check. They also need to keep trying to sabotage Hammerfell from the inside. They also need to keep independant factions like the college of Winterhold in check.

They also incited the civil war to create chaos. The only time you tactically need chaos like that is when you are incapable of defeating two enemies at once.

Incorrect. It was winning battles and territory left and right but it was doing so too quick and instead of what it did during the golden age of building up it’s territory it was expanding without thought so the newly conquered areas quickly rebelled and earned independence once more. This forced the Military to back track and retake those territories by leaving the front lines unguarded.

Rome’s millitary failed in the same way that The Empire’s is. Both did not understand millitary strategy.

The Empire regained the imperial city after a long series of battles during witch the Empire was gaining strength once more and the Thalmor was losing it.

The best time to continue an offense is when the enemy is withdrawing.

Tactically the Empire should have continued it’s offense and driven the Thalmor out of it’s territory but instead the Empire wanted the quick way out.

The Thalmor did another millitary no no. It overstretched itself. It drove a hard offensive deep into the empire without thinking about it’s own longetivity.

The Empire should have exploited this weakness.

Tactically the Empire is a mess.

2 Likes

Are you kidding me? During the collapse, Rome lost all of it’s provinces and the city was sacked 5 times. I don’t call that winning battles left and right.

If the Thalmor are making so many tactical mistakes, then it should be quite easy for the Empire to defeat it.

Keep in mind the Empire has new leadership, and with the help of General Tullius the Empire may not continue to make the same tactical mistakes.

EDIT:

Nope. The Battle of the Red Ring was the decisive battle which retook the Imperial city.
From the wiki:
“The Battle of the Red Ring is named for Red Ring Road, just North of the Imperial City, on which the most crucial fighting of the battle took place. The result of the battle was the reconquering of the Imperial City

3 Likes

This is why TES is so great

You can have an in-depth discussion just about military tactics and politics. XD

6 Likes

I think everyone here is forgetting something crucial. Those with the blood of a dov flowing through their veins have a natural lust for dominance, and are stronger and more capable than any regular mortal.

In the civil war quests we quickly see the Dovahkiin rise up the ranks at an astonishingly fast rate. This happened with another born of the dragon blood: Tiber Septim.

The truth is, it doesn’t matter who you chose, both were in a sorry state, but so was Tamriel back when Tiber Septim began conquering. If anything, the current Dovahkiin has not only faced and destroyed threats that would make a young Tiber Septim quake at his knees, he also has more to work with.

5 Likes

Becuase of lack of millitary strategy. I did explain.[quote=“boehmond, post:333, topic:3781”]
If the Thalmor are making so many tactical mistakes, then it should be quite easy for the Empire to defeat it.
[/quote]

Exactly but as you’ve seen the Empire isn’t fighting.

Why Tullius though? The main reason he need’s the dragonborn to win Skyrim is because he does not understand skyrim.

I don’t remember denying that. The battle of the red ring was a specific battle that retook the city but it happened after a large offensive that began the Dominion’s withdraw.

2 Likes

Oh, really? Your post seemed to imply you were denying it.

Clearly he must be a good commander and strategist if he’s been promoted to the rank of general.

If you talk to Tullius after the conclusion of the civil war questline, he says the Empire is preparing for war with the dominion.

3 Likes

A good strategist he may be but he needs the right people below him

Only if you win.

Otherwise you are stuck with the eternal case of the Empire sitting on it’s but.[quote=“Tarvaax, post:335, topic:3781”]
I think everyone here is forgetting something crucial. Those with the blood of a dov flowing through their veins have a natural lust for dominance, and are stronger and more capable than any regular mortal.
[/quote]

This also renders the argument kinda moot.

Whoever you side with is gonna win in the long run.

Unless the Dragonborn succumbs to Hermaeus Mora’s influence first.

4 Likes

At least I didn’t mention CHIM. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s a can of worms for another day.

I’m still weirded out by the fact that there is somehow 3 Elder Scrolls of CHIM

3 Likes

I’m still weirded out that CHIM exists in the lore in the first place. From my point of view, it makes all of the work and time spent on fleshing the world of TES out with lore meaningless, because of what CHIM means for that lore.

Honestly, that’s one aspect I want retconned, reeeeeaaaally badly.

2 Likes