The Elder Scrolls

Later on in the game, you’ll run into larger groups of them. And their hitboxes are oddly-placed, so they can be hard to hit.

1 Like

I’m gonna laugh so hard when you regret this.

Zubats may be the source of the phrase “G****** bats” in gamer lingo but Cliff racers define the term.

Oh and it’s worth noting that Jiub only claims to have “drove out” these guys.

They may annoy us in a future elder scrolls game.

1 Like

That should totally be the plot of the next Elder Scrolls game. The Cliff Racers return to Tamriel, and only the reincarnation of Saint Jiub can defeat them.

4 Likes

I just can’t get into Oblivion. No amount of mods can save it for me. Between the awful textures, generic overworld, potato faces, and ugly body shapes there’s just something that continually puts me off. It’s funny that Morrowind looks better imo, despite using jagged shape techniques because of the technology back then. Maybe Morrowind is easy on the eyes for me because of the fact that the aesthetic reminds me of N64 games? Who knows. Morrowind and Skyrim are better than Oblivion.

3 Likes

I have a friend who refuses to play any Elder Scrolls games because he played Oblivion for an hour and the potato faces disturbed him too much. XD

For my part, as long as the faces are modded, I like it quite a bit. I can’t deny that the world is boring and generic…but I also kinda like it because of that. It’s like comfort food. Also, though it’s the TES game I’ve played least, it definitely has the best sidequests. Skyrim’s tend to be shallow and/or repetitive, and while Morrowind’s are better, a fair few of them are simple fetch quests with little to set them apart. Most of Oblivion’s quests manage to either avoid standard quest formulae/tropes or, if not, involve interesting characters or concepts that make them memorable.

4 Likes

Honestly the thing I like most about Oblivion is dungeon design.

They used fewer prefabs than skyrim and built upon dungeon design of morrowind.

With my texture mods and face overhaul that goes a long way to making the game playable IMO.

4 Likes

Interesting. I’ve heard a lot of complaints about Oblivion’s dungeons being repetitive. I haven’t seen enough of them to really know firsthand, though.

3 Likes

I mean, the caverns and forts are quite repetitive (In appearance at least). But they have a good dungeon system in the game imo.

Also, it has Ayelid dungeons 10/10.

See i kinda had this issue with Oblivion when i replayed it, it was quite boring to travel from "Forest with few trees #256" To “Forest with many trees #3421”.

Also, even if you say that mods aren’t helping, i highly recommend using this mod.

Implying that you don’t have it installed already, of course.

3 Likes

The standard fort is repetitive but most of the quest relevant ones are pretty decent.

Vaermina’s dungeon comes to mind as a particularly complex dungeon.

1 Like

Well, I guess I’ll give it another go. It just sucks that the landmarks in the world all look the same so I hardly ever know where I am without looking at a map. I’ll be sure to download that environment mod.

On the topic of dungeons, I’d honestly like to see TES take cues from TLoZ and create more vast, unique dungeons that actually feel rewarding to go through and beat, all with a big boss battle at the end that isn’t just “hit with melee/ranged weapon until health is gone”. TES boss battles always felt less engaging than every other game I’ve played. Like, imagine having to break off scales with a blunt object and expose the flesh above the heart to kill a dragon, with 2-3 stages during the boss battle.

4 Likes

AKA:

Legendary Powerful Draugr Supreme Overlord of death.

4 Likes

Pretty much. I’d at least like dodge mechanics for players and NPC’s as well as a rock paper scissors triangle for weapons. In fact, they should just copy the way Fire Emblem treats weapon damage and weakness. It’d make builds more unique and force you to choose your battles more carefully. As of right now the melee weapons don’t give you enough individual incentive besides the fact that swords do less damage than their counterparts but are ultimately more efficient because they hit faster. If you introduced a weapon effectiveness and debuff triangle, suddenly swords get like… a +15 damage boost against ax users, but suffer a -15 defense and attack debuff against hammer users.

Also, am I the only one that wants level caps back? Seemed like they did a good job of making people care about making a solid build instead of just becoming a jack of all trades.

2 Likes

I just want to share something really cool I found in Oblivion and Skyrim.
In Oblivion, one of the things the NPC’s will say to each other is
“I heard that House Redoran of Morrowind have been warring with the Nords of Skyrim”
The other NPC will often respond with
“The Nords have always been very protective of their territory. It’s no wonder they get in these disputes.”
Now, in Skyrim, when journeying north-west of Whiterun, you can find a cave named “Redorans Retreat.” Not only does this go along with the Nord-Redoran war, but it also fits with the concept of the Nords being protective of their territory, implying a Redoran army was routed and fell back there.
It’s probably either a coincidence or some part of the lore i’m just unaware of, but I thought it was cool none the less.

3 Likes

The biggest problem I had with Redoran’s retreat was the lack of any lore to it besides speculation on the name.

The latest any Dark Elf army could have attacked that deep into Skyrim was before the battle of Red Mountain (when the dwemer disappeared).

Redoran’s retreat is probably the result of a small incursion that did not last long enough for history or simply the final resting place of pretty much anyone from Redoran.

Nice find though.

4 Likes

Who do you guys think the deep ones are. they are in oblivion

2 Likes

As far as I am able to gather from the single book on the topic they are nothing.

The book Is written in Daedric and is a quote from N’gasta Kvata Kvakis.

NKK is just some Esperanto from the Stolkholm Esperanto society website but it is written in the language of the Sload from TES.

So it’s stuff from a constructed language, converted into another conlang, and finally made into yet another conlang.

Languageception, there may eventually be a lore purpose to it but I think it’s just a gag by the developers.

If you want to read “The bible of the deep ones” it is here.

If you want to read NKK it is here.

2 Likes

So, official comments from Bethesda this week outright confirm that they STILL haven’t started on TES VI.

That means by the time we get a new TES game (4-6 years from this current point in time), it’ll have been 10-12 years since Skyrim’s release.

1 Like

Bathesda sucks

I wouldn’t go that far.

Based on job listings it would seem they are making a new engine based in part on the unity engine so the future games they create wont have the myriad of technical issues that the gamebryo/creation engine has.

It totally sucks to wait but I am hopeful that the end result is something awesome.

2 Likes

No TES6.

Oh well.

Gotta wait 10 more years.

At least we’ll have Skyrim re-realeased every year.

2 Likes