The Elder Scrolls

I honestly think that FO4 might begin a reversal of the simplification of the prior games. I’ve already seen glimpses of the armor customization system and weapon modification system and they look anything but simple. This gives me hope that something similar will happen in TES 6.

As far as the whole armor layer thing I see both sides. On the one hand why shouldn’t you be able to wear a robe over your armor I always did in morrowind. But on the other hand it poses a challenge for game balance. Back in morrowind you could stack a lot of enchantments together provided you had the cash and souls. This was even a problem in skyrim where if you use 100 enchanting you can create apparel that negates magicka cost.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked into FO4 a whole lot, so I hope that’s the case. I think Skyrim would have been a lot more fun if they hadn’t oversimplified certain mechanics.

As for balancing…honestly, one of my favorite aspects of Morrowind is that it’s totally unbalanced. You have to work a lot to get there, but once you have enough money and high enough stats, you can go crazy and jump across the island in one bound, or kill everyone in Balmora with a giant fireball. By contrast, in Skyrim, you can use that exploit to get infinite Magicka, but you’re much more limited in what you can do, so it gets boring after awhile. I guess what I’m saying is that you should either go all the way and make a game very well-balanced–or forgo the notion of balance altogether and make it an insane free-for-all where the primary limits are your imagination and how much time you have to waste. I think the latter strategy works better for open-world games, since there are so many variables it’s nearly impossible to make everything balanced. /rant

2 Likes

I know this is bygone but I was rereading the topic and I noticed a discrepancy. The Thalmor has no presence in Hammerfell. In fact Hammerfell is the only province without Thalmor. See here Lore:Hammerfell - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)

What I really wanted to discuss was Ebonarm. if you don’t know who he is wouldn’t be surprised. Long story short if you played Daggerfall you may have noted that all temples in Hammerfell worshiped a being know as Ebonarm. He was supposed to be the Demigod of warriors who every true Redguard should aspire to be. That isn’t really the important part though. The important thing is that it is almost as if Bethesda removed him.

In Daggerfall there was a book called “From The Memory Stone of Makela Leki”. this book is where the prime description of Ebonarm is located. The thing is though that in all mention of him was removed from the future titles in the series. The book I mentioned was removed as well until ESO when it made a return but it had been scrubbed of all reference to Ebonarm. My question is why a character like Ebonarm would be purposely removed from the franchise?

Proof I’m not crazy: Lore:Reymon Ebonarm - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)

2 Likes

Oh, hm. I thought that there were Thalmor there because of In My Time of Need, where the Redguard warriors are (allegedly) tracking down a traitorous noble. But it looks like the Thalmor had left since her initial traitorous deed. My mistake!

I think the simplest explanation for the removal of Ebonarm is that, since Morrowind heavily revamped TES lore, the people in charge decided he didn’t fit anymore. Since Talos ended up being associated with war, maybe they thought Ebonarm was redundant? I guess you could have Ebonarm be a Daedra, but generally it doesn’t make sense for a Daedra’s specialty to overlap with an Aedra’s, and he doesn’t seem unsavory enough to be a Daedra, anyway (from the article: “According to legend, he appears on the field of battle to reconcile opposing sides and prevent bloodshed.”)

1 Like

That does make sense in fact The Warp in the West that happened at the end of daggerfall makes a prime excuse for altering the lore to not have him. (Dragon Breaks such as the warp are know to alter past and future events) Meaning he could have been canon until the warp when he was “unwritten” from history.

1 Like

That’s probably as good an explanation as any. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have Skyrim and Oblivian. I LOVE Skyrim, but when i went to try Oblivian it felt like I lost a limb because I couldnt shout, and i got stuck in sheogoraths realm. I’ve been wanting to try it again sometime, but I need to know if it’s actually good so I dont end up wasting my time.

2 Likes

I’ve played 50 hours or so of Oblivion. I don’t like it quite as much as Skyrim, but I still like it a lot. If you’re stuck, I’d reccomend starting over and playing through one of the guild questlines–Mages/Fighters/Thieves/Dark Brotherhood. Those are all pretty good. Beyond that…maybe take a look at a character creation guide to get a feel for how stats work in the game; it’s fairly different from Skyrim. And if you’re into modding, get something to fix all those hideous NPC faces. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

this ^

I had a similar problem because I played Skyrim and Morrowind before Oblivion. I find that the best (IMHO) way to play the game is to design your character for whichever questline you want to do. and then creating a new character for a guild/quest series of a different sort. Then choose a character archetype you like and play the main quest/shivering isle’s (also note you can leave the isles by returning to the entrance).

2 Likes

I think the worst Elder Scrolls game is…
Que Drumroll
Redgaurd!

1 Like

I wouldn’t say worst (Oblivion mobile holds that spot in my heart) but it is a little too linear for my tastes.

1 Like

elder scrolls online anyone ?

2 Likes

I have a slightly better than usual opinion of ESO but it still rubs me the wrong way.

3 Likes

i have been playing ESO alot and i think its a really cool game

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard, probably Arena or Battlespire, though I’ve not played those yet.

I played the TESO beta and didn’t like it much, but it wasn’t too bad. I’ll give it another try sometime to see if I like it better now.

3 Likes

Honestly I think that I like everything about ESO except the multiplayer. Most of the “flaws” can be explained as excuses for hundreds of thousands of people to do the same thing at the same time.

However I personally believe that the crown store and the old subscription service is total stupidity. Microtransactions are NOT where I want to see TES go.

DLC Isn’t all bad but I don’t think I should pay the price of a new console just to get the most out of a game I already bought. Orsinium actually sounds cool to me.

2 Likes

It bugs when you download NPC related mods :stuck_out_tongue:

For full immersion in the game i recommend these mods:

-Realistic needs and diseases (Cuz’ iNeed is rip)
-Frostfall/Campfire
-Skyrim Redone/Requiem/Perkus Maximus
-Wet and Cold
-Enhanced Lights and FX

3 Likes

I saw a theory that this Lad is the forgotten Ebonarm:

I like the Elder Scrolls online, but I honestly cant bring myself to continue playing outside of Cyrodiil. But recently, there haven’t been enough people to help with sieges, I mean daggerfall took every keep in about a couple of weeks. Where’s the rest of the dominion? I Solo’d one keep and nearly took it (after a couple of hours), but eventually the daggerfall players stopped watching me shoot their keep and came to kill me. Seriously, I was just about to break the inner wall, I dont even know why they cared it’s not like that keep actually benefited anyone.

4 Likes

Hi guys I have a question for you all (and specifically @John_Smith).

I recently bought the PC version of Morrowind and Oblivion I bought both with all the DLC available.

As it turns out the steam version of Morrowind only includes Tribunal/Bloodmoon with it. I also snagged the Official Plugins from Bethesda’s Website.

What I found out is that the Official Plugins are supposed to be downloaded like mods. So after that long explanation my question is: Where is Morrowind located on a Windows 10 computer with Steam?

2 Likes

Open Steam, right-click on Morrowind in the menu, click “Properties” on the popup menu, go to the “Local Files” tab in the window that opens, and click “Browse Local Files.” :slight_smile:

Oh, while you’re at it, I recommend getting Tamriel Rebuilt, which is one of the coolest mods for any game, and won’t really infringe on the base game.

2 Likes