The Lego Movie 2, The Second Part

Personally, I don’t expect more then and average movie from this. It’s going to be directed by Mike Mitchell, which has directed some pretty bad movies in the past. Also, since this is sequel to an amazing movie which almost broke the score of Pixar movies, I will just hope it’s an average movie, and doesn’t suck. Of course, I could always be wrong, and this might be a great movie, who knows. But we all know that sequels are always below the level of the first movie, so this is what I expect.

Toy Story

3 Likes

Other then in the case of Pixar of course (and Cars 2 also counts.)

But sequels that are directed by totally different directors…

That Duplo set…

Emmit and Lucy officially have lived long enough to see themselves become the villains…

2 Likes

@Omega_Tahu
Please. I’ll do anything for you to make a teal mixel eye god. /s

3 Likes

What concerns me so far about this movie:

1. Directed by Mike Mitchell (which directed some pretty bad movies in the past)
  2. Rex Dangervest (or whatever is name is) seems like just a combination of all of Chris Pratt’s characters so far. I want this to be a movie which is independent from other movies, not just a parody of Chris Pratt’s movies so far.

Even so, I think it’s going to be a decent movie. I just hope for more cameos to original LEGO themes, otherwise I might just leave the theater disappointed, even if the movie itself was good.

That’s exactly the point

4 Likes

I know, but as I said, I don’t want this movie to be a parody of Pratt’s movies!

One character does not a movie make

2 Likes

But what if the whole plot is a just parody of a well-known movie? I don’t know how many people know this, but the Original LEGO Movie had a plot point similar to Matrix (I know this sounds crazy, but it’s true). The whole “Chosen One” plot was actually taken from Matrix. But this actually worked pretty well! I love Matrix, and seeing LEGO Movie take inspiration from it was pretty fun.

As much as I would like references and easter eggs to other movies, I would want LEGO Movie 2 to have it’s own, stand-alone original plot rather then be a kid’s version of another movie.

The “Chosen One” plot is something older than either movie by a long shot. It’s just kinda a thing that happens in stories. Besides, you’re refuting your own point; the original Lego Movie was able to draw inspiration, or at least be similar to, many other movies while still being it’s own distinct and enjoyable story. There’s no reason to believe TLM2 will be any different.

5 Likes

Yes, but I am still worried. I don’t trust Mike Mitchell, and I expect this movie to be on average at my maximum expectations.

I actually quite enjoy some of his movies. Megamind is a family favorite in my house, as is kung fu panda

2 Likes

Wait, this is the guy that made Kung Fu Panda? The first one? Now I need to actually look him up…

EDIT: So IMDB lists him in no way related to Megamind (at least that I can find), and only as a consultant on Kung Fu Panda.

1 Like

He also made SpongeBob out of Water and Alvin and the Chipmunks… so that is what concerns me.

Well, the movie does still have Phil Lord and Christopher Miller writing it, both of whom wrote the screenplay for the first movie.

2 Likes

Let’s hope Mike Mitchell does the right thing this time, like he did with Kung Fu Panda.

The sets are all pretty bonkers (I laughed out loud when I first saw the thricycle) but I like what I see from the newest trailer. I also like that I can draw connections between the plot elements we see and possible “real world” plot developments for Finn and family. It seems to be shaping up well.

1 Like

Yo.

Brick Friday.

Watch (if you haven’t) here:

EDIT: and the link is down now; it was good while it lasted.

2 Likes

[quote=“Rocka99, post:114, topic:44889, full:true”]
I laughed out loud when I first saw the thricycle [/quote]

Me too.I also laughed at the Duplo set.