The Mask of the Makuta

Hi,
I wanted to ask you something about the Kanohi Kraakhan. The mask of shadows was always a symbol for Teridax. We know there were some theories about him being corrupted by the mask, but I don’t want to ask about that. Icarax wore the mask to undermine Teridax’ authority. Is the mask some type of crown for the leader of the brotherhood? Makuta did not necessarily need the powers of the mask as he said to Matoro. He could literally read minds. There was no need for him to own a mask that can help to manipulate others. It seemed the mask had some other relevance to him. It was his first action to recreate it in the sky. Just to show his face? He was a shapeshifter. He often looked different. Why did he never replace the mask with something more useful. It made sense for him to have the power in 2003 because he fought Takanuva. Long story short has the mask a special meaning for Makuta or was it really that useful as a tool?
And by the way, why has the mask two faces? Is it just a particular design choice or was there anything planned with the other face storywise?

4 Likes

Icarax wore the mask to undermine Teridax’ authority. Is the mask some type of crown for the leader of the brotherhood?

No, Icarax just wore the Kraahkan as a sign of him taking Teridax’s position and a mocking against him.

He could literally read minds. There was no need for him to own a mask that can help to manipulate others.

The Kraahkan doesn’t manipulate other beings: it allows the user to see the darkness inside other beings… it’s just Teridax was very good in reading others, even without telepathy or his Kraahkan.

Long story short has the mask a special meaning for Makuta or was it really that useful as a tool?

Given his dialogue on one of the 2007 web serials, the Kraahkan definitely was some sort of belonging feeling to Teridax.

And by the way, why has the mask two faces? Is it just a particular design choice or was there anything planned with the other face storywise?

I presume it was just design choice by BIONICLE’s design team.

5 Likes