The Official LDD Topic

This topic is for discussion of Lego Digital Designer, Lego’s virtual building software. Although it’s not as common as it once was, it’s still used by people all around the community that don’t have access to infinite parts.

Do you like LDD? Do you hate LDD? Do you have information about LDD? Discuss it all here!

k thanx

14 Likes

Hey everyone!
So, I was looking through the helmets that LDD has, Searching for something that interested me, when I found what appears to be a vermilion helmet. (comparison below)

Now as you all know, the new season/sets are not released yet, so that brings up a couple of questions, at least for me:

1. Does Lego release/show parts earlier than what we think? We all know that some parts still have not received models in LDD (Bionicle Gen 2 head, anyone?), so…
  2. What Criteria does Lego have for releasing parts on LDD?
  3. And lastly, how long has this thing been going on for? How many parts have been secretly showed to us that we did not realize?

So yeah. I just thought that was neat, and I would like your feed back as well!
Do you agree with my questions?
What do you think on this matter?
Comments and feedback are appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

7 Likes

I remember seeing a 2010 post of an early look on CCBS parts.

1 Like

LDD is the worst platform ever created and I hate it.

Physical LEGO for life.

/s

~~

I actually really like LDD. It’s like an unlimited supply of LEGO to make anything you want. I just wish it had every single LEGO piece.

4 Likes

This^

I also wish there was an easy way to include printed parts.

I know there are ways but they annoy me.

I’m stuck with an army of faceless soldiers.

3 Likes

I remember using LLD on our old slow family computer. I made quite a few things on that (probably not anything of any sort of quality) but all of the saves were lost when the hard drive died.

Paint tool, decoration mode, I think.

I use it a lot but mostly to organize colors for system Mocs and know what Parts I need to order. I just finished my lego Dino thunder blizzard force megazord.

I haven’t used LDD
i should probably download it

That’s rather interesting. I wonder what other early parts have been released before.

I presume it’s due to the non-conventional connection point, so it’s likely hard to program.

1 Like

Ive been using it a lot recently its really useful for pre-planning and getting a good list of parts I need for mocs I’ve designed on the platform.

This is the lasted thing I’ve done and I’m currently ordering parts

5 Likes

I find it a useful medium when trying to think up base concepts for new MOCs, and from what I’ve seen on the boards it can lead to some great creations. In terms of making my own creations on it, I still prefer working with physical LEGOs.

I haven’t actually used it personally, but it seems really great for creating things that you normally couldn’t if you didn’t have the pieces for it.

I used to use LDD a lot. Then I got Windows 10. For whatever reason, LDD became unusable on Windows 10. To my knowledge, it still is. Because of this, I don’t use LDD anymore.

I have both Win 10 and LDD.

I don’t know what your problem is.

I also wish there was an easy way to include printed parts.

There is a way you can mod the program to create any custom prints you want. This forum explains how in to do it in detail. Tutorial: Adding Custom Decals into LDD - Digital Building Tools - Rock Raiders United

LDD is interesting in the large number of parts and color combinations it allows, but it does not allow advanced techniques like putting tires on limbs or cutting rigid hose. The program is also missing many old galidor parts which is a shame.

1 Like

Weird that they have a 2017 piece, but still refuse to add the 2015 Bonkle parts.

2 Likes

I recently got access to the bricklink version of LDD called stud.io, I haven’t installed it yet. However the concept is really cool. It’s supposed to help you order the bricks from the model you build, like the old LDD service
Building with Stud.io | Brickset there’s a brickset article about it

1 Like

Well that would save me the time of relocating bricks on ldd just to get the name and then search it. Expecially on huge models.

1 Like

@Square Interesting! I’m assuming there were multiple?

@Political_Slime I never thought of that! I still wonder why they don’t add creature heads and the uniter torso armor, though (unless they have, and I’ve never noticed!)

@Brunamal It is very weird indeed!

I, generally, like Lego digital designer!
The thing I can’t stand it that it’s virtually impossible to move/place pieces without studs on other bricks!
Some examples include snowshoes, putting stuff in Lego chests, and the old book piece.
It is really a shame.