The Relationship Topic

Happy Discount Chocolate Day to all those out there who didn’t celebrate Valentine’s. Remember that even if you don’t have love, you’ll always have chocolate.

8 Likes

I mean… Valentine’s Day is where some people get both, so that is a bit less than equivalent… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

“There is no love, only pain.”

3 Likes

So, I read through this whole topic for some reason It has actually been a interesting look into the human nature. The happy. The depressing. The cringe. and I can say that for sharing an interest of biomechanical asexual beings, there is actually proof that love in fact is canon. At least in the fandom.

Thought I would share some stuff, not sure if it’s going to help anyone or present any kinds of new ideas. at hte very least I hope someone can get a good read out of it.

So I am at the time of writing this 23 years old, and I am in university studying to become a chef. Why is this relevant? I’ll tell you. Anyone that has been in school/university generally aimed for people in the ages between 18 and 30 something is at the very least aware of the often quite active life the weekend nights brings. The same applies for work in restaurants. It is a quite common phenomenon in this business to “connect the balljoint” with people in the same business after hours, after a few drinks.

So what am I getting at? What I am saying is that some people would assume that this is the perfect environment for either finding a semi-satble relationship or just have fun. But that kind of interaction or relationship doesn’t really interest me, which some people I have worked with find strange. I am looking for something that hopefully will be long-lasting and brings more joy than the temporary rush the other lifestyle creates.

This has in a way been a problem for me, considering the situation I find myself in, studying at a culinary university and working in restaurants during the summer. Partly because many people follow that lifestyle around here, but also because the school is located in a small town with only around 800 residents, out of which around 250-300 are students. The opportunities to find someone with the same ideas around here is not all that easy, since I’m either already friends or have some other kind of relation with most people here. I don’t have any problem talking to people generally, and I very much enjoy spending time with other people. I do however have a bit of a problem talking to someone in a way that is more than just friendly. This has led to me having a lot of friends here, out of which around 3/4 are female (not because I have tried pursuing anything with all of them, it just happened to be more females that I connected with here). Now that I am in my final year of university, I can honestly say that spending a lot of time around friends of the opposite gender has made me more comfortable in myself when it comes to romantic endeavours.

But still the problem of meeting someone that I don’t already have an established relationship with still stands. Sure, I could try pursuing something with someone here, but I honestly feel that a friendly relationship is more beneficial for me with most people here.

There have not been all that much talk about online dating in this topic, and when it has been brought up, it seems that it has been shut down for being bad, not serious or downright harmful. Sure this could be the case, Tinder, but to me, and to many others it is either the only option or simply the most valid.

Now, I’m gonna be the first one to say that I was also initially highly sceptical of the concept of online dating, but I still decided to give it a shot. In my experience, I went through several different apps and pages, and I found most of htem to be either overly complicated, expensive or downright stupid Tinder. I eventually settled for a site that was free and had a decently high number of members, and out of those members there seemed to be a generally more serious tone. Something that was kind of off-putting to me of this site at first was the way contact with other members was made. Most often, these kinds of apps have a chat function which works just fine. This, however, was designed in such a way that you sent the other person mails. At first, this seemed to not really fit my way of trying to find contact with other people, chats simply seems more efficient.

However, the more I used it, the more it made sense. Let me paint you a scenario. If you write to someone that you don’t have any prior relationship with in a chat, it often goes something like this:

“Hey, what’s up?”
“Nothing much, you?”
“Same, just got home from work.”
“Cool.”
Potential love of my life has logged out.

It often dies out quite quickly. With the mail system, it encourages you to read the other person’s profile to find things in common, and to write something more attention-grabbing than just “Hi”. This does of course mean that you should fill out your profile, something that a lot of people didn’t do, and some people often relied on that one perfect selfie to recieve messages and other contact. But if you are online to find something serious, you probably can take the time to fill out a decent profile, so that way you can easily differentiate the ones that is worth spending your time on from those who you should just pass by.

So yeah, I was bored and wanted to write something, so I wrote a whole essay here. Why isn’t it this easy to write actual essays for school? I think that online dating gets a bad rep, and sometimes it really is not deserved. Rant concluded.

10 Likes

hope she likes it, dude. just let my SO borrow oot, she’s made it to the water temple and has become predictably frustrated

1 Like

I can think of other biomechanical asexual beings that prove that love is canon. Transformers does a good job of exploring love and gender on a psychological level. This makes sense, since the main aspect to successful marriages is not the reproductive side like some would think, it is the friendship that is cultivated and the sense of comfortability that is cemented. In fact, reproductive urges die off later on in the human lifespan, yet some older couples have a stronger bond than anyone that still has those urges.

I think that BIONICLE had a major misconception about love. It assumed that reproduction is the variable romantic love spawns from, rather than understanding that it is actually the social aspect of a species that allows for relationships like that to develop into something meaningful. Correlation does not equal causation and all that. This is why I love seeing the relationships that form in the IDW Transformers comics, because you can adore someone and form a strong bond without the need to reproduce.

2 Likes

That was so wonderful, I can’t even. Thank you so much for sharing all of that. It meant a lot to me.

3 Likes

Thanks, man! Hope things work out for you, I really enjoyed your camp story, even though it might not have ended the way you hoped it would. You seem like a person that a lot of people would like to get to know.

Best,
Some guy on the internet

3 Likes

I made a friend today!

Now granted the prospect of a romantic relationship is dead on arrival as I am a Junior and she a Freshman.

However it’s still something significant enough that I wanted to talk about it.

I saw her in the lunchroom today, by herself playing on a DS, and I thought to myself “I’m gonna go improve her day”

I went over, sat down with her and introduced myself. She was definitely a little hesitant right out of the gate but we very quickly found some common interest and ended up talking away the whole half hour lunch period.

It’s something I’m really happy about and I’m eager to talk to her again.

4 Likes

Don’t fret, that’s only two years!

Actually, one of my very good friends is a junior with a crush on a freshman. I try to encourage him, but it probably doesn’t help that she doesn’t have any interest in him outside of being friends…

That’s some insane courage with some insane payoff. Well done.

3 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, seeing people talk about relationships…
Ive been talking a lot with the girl I like, and my other friend who is friends with her says that she seems to like me as well.
So that’s been going well.

3 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Man I’m so proud of you dude, you’re perspective is perfect. Just don’t shy away from the prospect of it going down the path you’d like it to, because you never know!
(Especially with girls :joy:)

2 Likes

Like I said, she’s probably too young. Where that not the case I would definitely consider the idea.

2 Likes

Ya never know, sometimes girls go for the older guy.
One of my classmates is full-on dating a junior, and as far as I can tell, it’s really going well.
(she’s a freshman.)

3 Likes

My girl, though in the same grade, is a couple months older than me

I generally say if your under 18 three years older or younger should be the best place to look. After 18-20, it gets generally easier to to be more leanient with ages.

1 Like

Unless you’re 16, I’m not dating a 13-year-old :laughing:
But you make a good point.

1 Like

I mean, its not entirely out of the question, it just depends on the parents, and how mature the children are. I heard weirder.

2 Likes