The Star Wars Battlefront Topic

I’d much rather the microtransactions, because that way I don’t spend $110 on a game, only for all of that content to come out in a $40 a year later. :stuck_out_tongue:

And these normal game functions would be?

Like I’ve said like 5 times now…

• Playing as a hero without grinding. PLACE THEM AT THE START LIKE THE LAST GAME.
  • Getting normal star cards
  • Being able to actually unlock new cool weapons via the Weapons Contracts they did with Jabba in the last game, which was one of my favorite aspects of the last game, because you could focus on getting good weapons through merit, not money.

That’s a REALLY bad investment. You’ll end up paying more with microtransactions with these lootboxes.

I would rather pay 60 dollars, wait a few months, and pay another 40 for DLC so my paycheck doesn’t go down the drain. Microtransactions will make it so you keep consistently spending, more and more and more, and soon EA will make you spend more than you intended.

At least with DLC you’ll have a set price you know you can spend on so you can budget better, and you know the exact product you’re getting. Microtransactions make it so you don’t know WHAT you’re gonna get with your money. It’s almost like gambling.

1 Like

So I got Vader and it was easier than I thought.

I’m pretty sure there are one or two light side/dark side heroes available out of the box, with the others being locked. Care to comment on any of these, @Kivax8?

If the BETA is anything to go by, each class has star cards pre equipped. New star cards can be unlocked to change abilities around, sure, but it’s not like you have to get a loot crate to unlock the thermal detonator or anything.

Fair.

Unless I don’t buy any of the lootboxes with real money.

I’d argue that it is gambling, which is why I don’t partake in it.

How long did it take you, would you estimate?

Yeah, but EA intentionally set up the temptation there.

I should also point out that you have to be ONLINE to get credits, as shown in this Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7dc9f7/if_you_do_play_without_a_connection_to_the/

I don’t understand why everyone is falling for EA’s constant shenanigans. They ALWAYS do these things to rip-off players and get extra money.

Ah, yes, online, that thing that 90% of the people that buy this game are going to have, and the other 10% will probably have but not bother with it because they’ll only care about the campaign. I mean, if you can’t play multiplayer because you don’t have internet, there’s no reason for credits. You don’t have to unlock anything for arcade. It’s already there.

Online is basically mandatory in this day in age, so I’m not surprised or upset by this.

EA may be the worst offender, but most companies do stuff like this all the time. Activision and Ubisoft are no exceptions.

That doesn’t make it right. We shouldn’t have to take this crud from any video game company.

3 Likes

I agree, but how is it going to change? If this microtransaction nonsense (which is bad, but I still think is overblown) was happening like this in any other game, there might actually be a good chance of a boycott and a chance for gamers to say “heck no! We don’t like this”, but this is Star Wars. How many little Timmy’s out there are going to put Star Wars Battlefront II at the top of their Christmas list this year just based on the title alone?

I think the best scenario is the one we’ve got right now. There was a backlash, DICE has fixed, or is working on fixing the worst of the problems, and people should stop complaining and play the game if they still want to. From there the game can be tweaked accordingly to fix other issues like weapon balancing, the on-going progression system issues, and such. DICE has already said they’re prototyping a new squad-spawn system so parties can stay together easier, which was a valid complaint I had from the BETA. They’re listening and working. It’s time to shut up before everyone starts looking at the gaming community like a bunch of entitled crybabies.

Here’s an interesting update: Belgium is investigating whether or not Battlefront II is even legal because gambling…

And even more proof they’re listening.

1 Like

This is great, but I wonder how this’ll affect the free dlc.

1 Like

Shhhhhh…

Don’t ruin the moment. If I had to guess we’ll get very little of it now

But you’re not being forced to pay for lootboxes…[quote=“Kivax8, post:967, topic:5579, full:true”]
This is great, but I wonder how this’ll affect the free dlc.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly

Yeah, after Belgium started investigating whether it was promoting child gambling. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pretty darn sure this was a fast reaction before allegations could be made.

He was just mentioning he’d rather get those though.

2 Likes

we won laddies

1 Like

no one actually falls for it. people just put up with it because that’s how the industry is nowadays

3 Likes

I’m sorry to ruin the moment, but the micro transactions will come back. And I think they may be going with either the overwatch or the rainbow six siege formula because those have been successful.

And if that’s how they come back I don’t think people will care, since it’ll just be cosmetic at that point. I don’t think it’s the idea of microtransactions themselves that made people mad, it’s that so much progression was tied to them.

People probably still hate them, but if they’re only tied to cosmetics like the ability to buy a 501st skin or something, there isn’t much to gripe about.

3 Likes

He’d rather have optional lootboxes than a season pass. He never said he would buy the lootboxes.

1 Like

I think that’s what Chronicler is saying, it’s just poorly worded.

“He was just mentioning he’d rather have optional lootboxes, though” is probably a better way of phrasing that, if I’m correct in my assumption.

1 Like

Well he was responding to:

which was a response to:

Which was a response to:

Of course neither of us know fully what you meant.

1 Like

So I’m roughly 4 hours into playing and I’m up to 12,000 credits without opening any loot crates aside from the “Thanks for Playing the BETA” crate (which gave me 3,000). And at least an hour and a half of that time was spent in arcade without earning credits.

So I’m close to Vader at only four hours in. Not bad.