The Wild Masks

Ch 2

Chapter Three
The Kettle Is Set

“Admit it.” The fish, shocked by the comparably warm glove, sprang back into action, thrashing about in a desperate attempt to escape the freezing conditions of the ice it had been packed in. “You’re only working this job because you failed college.”

“You asked me that two days ago, remember?” Ren gave an artificial smirk. “No, I chose this job because I like nosy coworkers who slip fish tails down the uniforms of other employees.”

“You’re not still mad about that, are you?” The rather long-faced fellow said, his upper lip barely moving when he spoke. “Kohaku said she was sorry about that, I don’t know why you have to hold onto it.” Without looking, he flipped a cleaver nearly over his shoulder, decapitating the fish on the bamboo cutting board.

“I guess this is a bit of a silly question, but have you ever had a fish tail dropped down the back of your shirt before?” Ren replied, beginning to lose his sociable mask.

“All the time, about five years ago.” His coworker replied, feeling about for the fish head. “I don’t have as much issues with the uniforms either - you get used to wearing fishing overalls when you’re waist-deep fighting against a net that’s about to push its way back out to sea. Never let any of them get away, though.” Finally turning, he grabbed the fish head and lobbed it underhand into the waste cart.

“But Fred, we’re not flooded here.” Ren gestured around him, the various displays faced outwards filled with seafood surrounding the pair on all sides. “We’re not at much risk of soaking out clothes in this environment.”

“It’s about the message being sent, I think.” Fred replied. “It’s like, we just went out and caught the fish, and that’s why you know they’re fresh. Or something.”

That’s Fred’s way, all right. Ren frowned. When he’s absolutely sure about something, he just doesn’t know or can’t be sure, but ask for his opinion and he’ll be as clear as crystal. One hundred percent. No possible room for doubt.

Ren smashed his eyebrows downwards. Focus. Just gotta work on the crabs. It’s not that hard; you’ve been doing this for months now. Don’t take it out on poor Fred just because he’s here.

“You okay kid?” Fred asked, having turned to face Ren during the silence in time to see the tail end of his display. “You’re kinda pale. Well more than normal anyway.”

The flat glare from Ren was almost immediately cut off by the extremely loud entrance of Kohaku. “BOOOOOOM!!” She bellowed, throwing both arms in the air as she crushed her gloves in one hand and her parking pass in the other. “What’s up, wage slaves? I’m finally back from my hard work and ready to get stompin’!” She swung her legs outwards and made big sumo wrestler-style stomps across the floor to emphasize.

“Produces her own caffeine.” Ren raised his eyebrows smugly at Fred, whose comparatively tiny smile was returned in similar fashion. “How was your four hour nap before work?”

“I did NOT have a four hour nap!!” Kohaku roared, punching Ren in the arm as hard as she could - which wasn’t very hard at all. “Why don’t you ask mister drowsy-peepers over there how much he slept before showing up today, huh?”

“Got here as the store opened, same as always.” Fred replied, his perpetually half-closed eyes looking more unamused than tired, although the rest of his unmoving face balanced it out somewhat. “You kids these days need to learn the value of waking up at four in the morning.” He effortlessly pulled the whole train of guts out of the fish he beheaded and slung it in the trash without looking.

“At least we have something we can agree on, Kohaku.” Ren smiled at her. “Some people in the world are still crazier than we are. How’s the government tracking chip going?”

Kohaku’s nostrils flared, but her reply of rage was instantly cut off by a mischievous Fred. “It’s called a mole, Ren. And the reason why it’s on her forehead is because there’s so much room up there to dig around in.”

“It’s called a beauty mark, Ren Fukushi.” Kohaku growled at the barely taller Ren, who leaned back with a smug grin to avoid her snarling teeth. “And today I’m dumping ice down BOTH your shirts. Just you wait!”

“It’s a little hot in here.” Fred calmly replied, his tiny smile as present as any other time when he was truly amused. “Who knows, I might find it refreshing.”

Ren chuckled as Kohaku snarled again, struggling to put on her fishing overalls without sitting down and without tipping over. He turned his attention back to the crab, which sat sleepily flailing its limbs, too drowsy from the cold to do anything else. It was called Heikegani, so named because of the muscular carapace resembling the angry, scowling face of an Oni.

“That reminds me, why is your name Fred?” Kohaku looked at her coworker even as she paused what she was doing to ball up her ponytail under a hairnet. “Aren’t you Japanese?”

“Ren’s name is Ren, and he’s not from around here.” Fred pointed his knife at Ren as he spoke. “Besides, I was born in the middle of a hurricane while at sea, and my mother was so out of it at the time that Fred Jones was the only name she could think of.”

“You keep changing your secret origin story every time it’s brought up!” Kohaku scowled. “How’s anyone supposed to obsessively over-analyze you if you can’t get the details straight?”

“Hey, some people don’t even know their own name.” Fred replied, the emotion in his voice once again failing to move any of his features, no matter how strong it was. “At least I’ve got that going for me.”

Ren looked down at the miserable crab, staring into the hard imaginary features on its backside. There was no life in the artificial eyes.

“…I gotta take a break,” He blurted out, fumbling as he ripped off his gloves and quickly marched out of the seafood department of the supermarket, swiping the hairnet off his scalp and stuffing it in his pocket. “Ren! The floor!” Kohaku shouted, but the warning fell on deaf ears, as Ren left a trail of grime from the tiled floor onto the much more presentable tiling of the rest of the building.

“Dropped out of college. I’m sure of it.” Fred shook his head, looking after Ren as he left. " At least he’s tracking through the building before operating hours. You stay in college, Kohaku, if you want to make a better job than this one."

“Pick up, pick up…”

Hello? What’s wrong? Is Corey okay?

“No, he- I mean yes, he’s good. Fine. Good and fine.” Tone replied. “Far as I know, anyhow… Uh, my reason for calling was because a call came in, there’s a building on fire two blocks from the school, and the household had to be warned. Really awkward for me to be the one answering the phone with this thing stuck to my face, y’know?”

Look, I’m sorry, but I don’t have a lot of options.” Ren replied with irritation. “I can’t just whip my phone out in the middle of the day, not while I’m handling fish guts AND working.

“Yeah, I know…” Tone mourned.

“…Okay fine, head over there. But keep a good distance; if you’re spotted we are in BIG trouble. You got that?

“Don’t worry boss, I’m much better at subtlety than you are.” Tone grinned, hanging up the call just after. “Finally, a chance to get out of here for once.”

“You taking me along?” Rook inquired, seated on his cushion as always. “I could be useful if we have to fight anybody.”

“Rook, I’m sorry, but I can’t just go driving looking like this.” Tone pointed to his face, even as he grabbed a large leather jacket off the wall. “If you came along and we had to split, we might lose the frame, and I know how much money went into acquiring it. That’s how Ren lost all that weight, remember?”

“Fifteen pounds is relative,” Rook needlessly objected, growing desperate as the opportunity to escape being cooped up all day seemed to slip through his hypothetical fingers.

“When you’re built like a string bean like he is, fifteen pounds is a big difference.” Tone replied, sliding on a beanie and tightening his leather gloves. “Now stay put; I’ll be back in a little while.” With these words, he turned off the interior light, went out the heavy door, and the room fell into silence.

“I’d like to go out.” Rook sighed.

“Do you think anyone died?”

“Nah.” Corey replied, trying to act assured and confident around his peers; to be the inspiration of bravery they all desperately needed. “That’s the printing offices of the High Sun Herald; they’ll be alright. Very well financed, good staff. Better fire insurance.”

“How do you know all that?” A little girl inquired, clearly from the adjacent middle school rather than his own peers of junior high students.

“Uhm… My dad used to work there.” He gulped.

“But I thought you were an orphan.” An older boy replied.

“That doesn’t mean I NEVER had parents.” Corey scoffed, internally sweating bullets. “Regardless, I don’t see why we have to watch it slowly burn down in the middle of the street.”

“AAAH!!” Corey flailed, smashing both his hands over his right ear. “SOFTER!!!

What?” The boy asked, thoroughly concerned as well as all the other kids. “Are you all right?”

“Huh? Uhh, just practicing for my drama class, hehe, I’ll just go do that over here.” Corey grinned sheepishly, waddling away from the group as they looked sidelong after him with varying levels of concern. Reaching the other side of the street, he glared uabout, looking for the source of the intrusion.

You can’t spot me. I’m good at this.

“Not that good.” He grumbled.

Sorry, I’m used to the old man having hearing issues. Don’t look at me like that; I didn’t cause them.

“We can discuss your definite guilt later.” Corey tightened his jacket, not processing that if he perhaps zipped it up he wouldn’t be so cold. “What was so important that it got you dragged out of bed before five?”

Har har. Ren asked me to check on you to make sure you were okay, after the call came in about the fire. He wanted to make sure you were okay.

“Tell him I could use about triple the fire I’ve got.” Corey shuddered. “It’s freezing out here.”

If you weren’t so small, you’d have more body heat methinks. Hehe.

“YEAH WELL I’M WORKING ON IT OKAY???” Corey bellowed.

“Corey!!” The lead teacher rebuked. “You’re supposed to be with the group! And stop all that shouting! The rescue team has to be listening for people in the building. And zip up your jacket!”

Take away my right to bear arms as well, why don’tcha.” Corey grumbled under his breath, zipping his jacket up in frustration. “At least I have the fight to look forward to after this.”

And the Count takes the eight count!! This is gonna be close, folks!”

“I thought he couldn’t do this what with the whole ‘touching’ thing.” Race murmured in Ren’s ear. “Doesn’t it hurt him too much to handle that?”

“It’s in his contract that there’s no grabbing or prolonged contact, but he says he can handle rough impacts just fine.” Ren replied, even as the Count of Knock-outs landed a devastating double-minus steel toe - a rather simple kick to the chest. “He’s got a tell for if something gets too rough for him.”

“How was your day?”

Race adjusted to sink even further into her seat. “Fine. Nobody bothered me today. Had to cover that burning building though. Hope Corey’s okay from that.”

“Tone apparently rattled one of his ear drums,” Ren replied, looking down at a particular seat three rows down from him, where Corey sat wearing a copious amount of merch for The Mummy, cheering loudly in between gulps of soft drink. “But I think he’s gotten over it at this point.”

“He’s a good kid.” Race mumbled, barely sounding like she meant it. “I hope he does well.”

“He will.” Ren sighed, watching as The Mummy, his body completely wrapped outside of the luchador mask and leotard he wore, kept the Count of Knock-outs pinned ineffectively for the ten count and rose into his signature staggering walk of victory, causing half the crowd to roar violently in amazement at the prearranged feat. “I know he will.”

Ch 4

7 Likes

Me too

2 Likes

You didn’t tell me this was going to be about masks.

I am a mask.

5 Likes

Only the real Message Boards users will get this reference

Only the real bionicle fans will get this reference

Only the real Togav players will get this reference

IMG_5433

Only the real completely normal and adequate members of society will get this reference (I don’t get it)

I’m feeling like an absent father figure right now. It’s okay, I’m done buying milk, I’m coming home

I guess it’s time to put on my theorising gear (read: clown makeup) and do the-

Now that might sound bad, I know, but there’s really nothing to worry about. Uh the Hero Factory characters do get a bit quirky at night… but do I blame them?

Based pickle take

If you don’t like pickles in you hamburger, then you don’t know what a real hamburger is :triumph:

I’m not saying that I’d do the same, buuuuuuuuut-

If I had a nickel for every time the NOTaHFfan self insert in a Ghid book was introduced by being compared to someone significantly taller than him, I’d have two nickels, which isn’t a lot but it’s weird that it happened twice.

Also, the local NOTaHFfan replacement is canonically shorter than the real deal let’s goooo this is huge I have finally managed to achieve something in life

Judging by this name, I’m assuming that we’re currently in a flashback

Hmmmm I might have a sneaking suspicion that this character might be Racie :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

It’s because he’s scared of women, isn’t it :smirk:

It’s a small flying something, so I’m immediately going to assume that this isn’t anyone in particular (only the real someone in particular will get this reference)

This is clearly someone who hasn’t touched grass in a long time

I am really curious what kind of suits they are wearing for no particular reason

Also,

@Toan
(I am temporarily returning the habit of pinging people when I signify their appearance in the book [I am completely out of my mind and you cannot stop me])

New theory: Wild is dead (being the “him” that Ren is referring to) and this group was named this way in his honour

I don’t like the way this is worded because it implies that the mask resembles an entire wolf, not just the head. And I do not want to imagine what it looks like

He has a metal bat?! Ari Wohlford moment?!

Very nice :smirk:

But how do you conceal an entire metal bat inside your sleeve? I know that oversized clothes are my thing, but still, the maths just doesn’t add up (I am feeling nitpicky today)

Is she called Race because she goes fast or does she go fast because she’s called Race? :thinking:

Is he called Tone because he messes with sound or does he mess with sound because he’s called Tone?

So his name is Corey huh

@Cordax, anyone?

I retract my statement that this character is supposed to be N01, it was an honest mistake. My theorising is a little rusty after three months of milk buying, okay? I am terribly sorry for what I’ve done and I’ll be taking full accountability for my action. Which is why I say that was all Ghid’s fault, he didn’t do any writing for three months, leading me to lose my edge. I did nothing wrong and I am completely innocent and you should feel sorry for me. Buy my merch at NOTaScam.fr

yes I did just do a youtube apology in the middle of my review and no I’m not regretting it one bit :smirk:

IMG_3647

I’m sure that not a single person has made that joke before me, nuh-uh

Ah yes

Hy shoes
My favourite brand

I am very conflicted on this. This is clearly supposed to be Rukah… but why in the world is he build and shaped like Togav Rook?!

@Atobe_Brick post in togav (now he’ll have to look through this entire thing to locate this ping hehe)

Only the two of us what this is a reference to :smirk:

Reviews for ch 2 and 3 coming tomorrow. I’ve already read them, just need a bit more time.

IMG_3379

We are in uncharted territory, fellas

Honestly I’m really liking this story so far. The character dynamic of the main group is great and the writing seems a lot more… lively, I guess? It really seems like you’re having a lot of fun writing this, especially compared to BoT where there were many moments where it felt like you were getting burned out.
This is what a fresh start does to a man. You don’t need to care about unfinished plot threads, wrapping up character arcs, delivering a satisfying conclusion and stuff and can simply have fun writing whatever you want. And this is what it’s all about :goo:

Ghid, can we, perhaps, bend the rules and let this man in? He is perfect for this

12 Likes

I can go to the sign-up thread right now. :eyes:

5 Likes
You got YOUR Hero in MY Factory!

Good :goo:

It’s a lot simpler than that :smirk:

I cannot confirm or deny Fast Ten Part Two killed this man :pensive:

Stop speaking a foreign language I can’t understand you :dizzy_face:

Welcome to the club

bruh2

Uh, let’s see. First, there’s an introductory greeting from the company that I’m supposed to read. Eh, it’s kind of a legal thing, you know. Um, 'Welcome to Ghiddy Fnafbear's Story: a magical place for Ghids and shut-ins alike, where agony and pain come to life. Fnafbear Entertainment is not responsible for damage to mind or psyche. Upon discovery of damage or if death has occurred, a missing person’s account will be forgotten within ninety days or as soon as theorizings and posts have been thoroughly cleaned and bleached and the story has been finished.' Blah, blah, blah...

If you like pickles in your hamburger, you might be french :pensive:

the French had better adopt this practice immediately to validate my claim :eyes::sweat_drops:

Oh so you’re one of those people :dizzy_face:

resourceful

I didn’t realize being shorter was an accomplishment :imp:

Nope :triumph: that’s the fourth chapter :smirk:

Haha what do you mean? :eyes::sweat_drops:

Stop projecting :angry:

Aw c’mon Nota I’m not that predictable

Bingo
And good :goo:

I cannot confirm or deny allegations that I would have the audacity to kill a user off before the story has even properly started

:smirk:

don’t worry it’ll get worse :smirk:

Is he called Ghid because he’s Ghid or is he Ghid because he’s called Ghid?

If you’re handing him out

Bingo :goo:
See guys, I’m really subtle guys, did you see

I’m sorry I didn’t keep you edgy for three months :disappointed: I should have mailed you extra skrillex and electrical tape

you’re clearly seeing things, um, I definitely didn’t edit it… read it again.

@Atobe_Brick post in togav

Just the two of us
We can make it (cringe references to gooberlicious things) if we try

Look at you, immediately weaponizing my lack of laptop destruction against me :dizzy_face:

I’ll deal with you there. :eye: :eye:

3 Likes

How @NOTaHFfan realized Tone was @Toan

How I realized Tone was @Toan

4 Likes
4 Likes

He he he.

Rukah? More like Fruitcup

I think it’s just a mechanical stomach. I think she went too fast, ran into something, and got hurt, nearly killed. They had to replace her organs.

4 Likes

I need a hero (factory) I’m holding out for a hero (factory) till the end of the night

so we’re just going to ignore how a sizable portion of the cast of BoR was dead before the book started

@atobe_brick post in togav

ok time to actually read the chapter :goo:

nononono I can’t deal with more characters already please stop noool

do you guys get it he said mask and the story is called the wild MASKS! get it! wow!

so first we had kohaku and now fred; is this some sort of flashback to an older team? or maybe the team has a few people they switch in or out

or maybe it’s a different team entirely

or maybe it was all a book of dreams

ok wait a second if they’re surrounded by seafood does that mean that all of the fish are talking? or was that one guy from the beginning some magic fish

why so fish talk in this universe??

this implies that ren has skin which can change its color which means that he has skin and it is organic which means that REN IS HUMAN :partying_face: :tada:

so here’s what we know so far: ren, some guy named fred and some lady named kohaku who seem to have a history together are in a supermarket for some reason

I am so confused

I googled kohaku and the “safesearch is turned on” message popped up

wow

ghid are you sure you want your story to take place in japan you know that that’s where anime comes from right

just realized that ren and the other two work in the supermarket and are not doing anything devious there

why does ren work in a supermarket???

hmm so tone can’t take his mask off

strange

also, the team getting a call from corey’s school is interesting

either his parents aren’t around anymore and ren and the others took him in as their own, or they are his parents

second option is very very unlikely but still interesting to think about

oh ok so ren just has a job

y’know I’m really liking how this story is much more grounded and realistic than the books, even if there are still magical elements

corey goes to school, renner has a job, and the other members of the team probably do stuff during the day as well

or maybe not

it seems tone and rook just mope around all day

also why is tone’s mask stuck to his face hmmmmm

I’m not going to say that I called it but I totally called it

why is corey actually just me (minus the being an orphan part)

tone better speak like a reddit troll for the rest of the story

I really liked this chapter, there weren’t any big revelations or reveals but it makes the characters seem much more real and like actual people

This team has such great chemistry with each other and I can’t wait to see how they act when the action starts ramping up :wink:

5 Likes

Sorry I didn’t realise I started writing in French here :hushed: :baguette_bread: :fr:

Will the real Slim (NOTa) Shady (HFfan) please stand up? i repeat, Will the real Slim (NOTa) Shady (HFfan) please stand up? We’re gonna have a problem here

Now what, you’re going to tell me that you don’t like tomatoes in your hamburger? :pensive:

And who’s the real American here after that?

They wouldn’t need to. Everyone already knows that you’re supposed to put pickles in a burger. Just ask Google

This is literally the first thing that comes up when you google “burger ingredients”. Checkmate :triumph:

No, me being taller than this completely fictional character who is not real and also me is an accomplishment :dizzy_face:

You’re the one writing this book, not me :smirk:

My standards must have tanked because of BoT

I count that as a yes

It’s not like someone being dead from the very beginning of the story is unprecedented. Just look at Bird and N01 in BoR :smirk:

Is he called NOTa because he’s HFfan or is he HFfan because he’s called NOTa?

Gosh I’m so good at this game

Noooo Ghid I’m not edgy, it’s all because of my tragic backstory :sob: :sob: :sob:

Wow you’re actually fixing your typos this time :eye_in_speech_bubble: :eye_in_speech_bubble:
The progress since BoT is huge

oh, you’re a Fan alright, just Not a Hero Factory one

Me neither lol. It’s a known fact that I write these by typing random buttons on my keyboard and hoping for the best

That’s the local Ghid self-insert :smirk:

Alright folks it’s chapter two time

Apartments in the US be like

I read this whole exchange taking up the first third of the chapter with a huge grin on my face. The dynamic in the main group is immaculate. Their banter is so convincing, these guys actually feel like real people. The dialogue reads so much better when you have something to relate to. I’m loving how grounded it is, I think it’s a big step up from the Bo_ dialogue

Human Cordax isn’t something I knew I needed until the description stared me in the face :goo:

Completely white unfurnished room with no windows? Do they rent this place in an insane asylum?

Heh :smirk:

So, his mask appears to be fused to his face huh. Quite an inconvenience

I feel so called out by this. I never seem to have any chopsticks at my place, so whenever I make myself instant ramen noodles, I’m forced to eat them with a spoon because I have no other choice. I know I’m committing a horrible crime, but there’s nothing I can do. I really need to stock up on chopsticks next time I do my groceries

I agree with Cordax on the theory that whatever happened to Race was caused by her going too fast, but I think that this is an ability exclusive to her

There he is :smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

I’m loving this design, very wacky and whimsical, just the way I like it

Buuuut-

Teeth teeth :dizzy_face:

Krelikan

It’s interesting how the Ghid mask description didn’t mention the pair of side eyes. I wonder if that’s the eyes he’s after

I’m doubling down on my theory that Wild is the one who is dead, and the one who Ren wants to revive by striking a deal with the Ghid mask

Seems like he was killed by overusing the power of his mask, which is why Ren was so worried about Race

I think here’s everything we know about the masks:

Wearing them increases your physical ability and possibly gives you a special power

Race has speed, Tone has sound and Ren’s power is still unknown.

Tone is human, but his mask fused to his face for whatever reason

Rook’s mask works in a completely different way though because he is the mask. When the mask was removed from the body, it became a lifeless shell, but the mask was still speaking after being placed on the pillow.

The Ghid mask seems to be similar in nature to Rook, except it can move on its own by extruding root-like surfaces from itself

Hey I was going to use the same exact song in one of my future posts :smirk:
I guess I’ll need to come up with something else…

I know this might be very hard to believe and might possibly be very shocking (shocking!) to you, but I really, really like this character :smirk:

A huge surprise, I know I know

Okay so I guess we really are set in Japan huh. The comment about the size of flats in the last chapter makes a lot more sense all of a sudden. The direction of the story is getting more and more interesting with each passing chapter

A direct Ultimate Theoriser callout? :eye_in_speech_bubble: :eye_in_speech_bubble:

Again, another incredibly fun character dynamic. I can almost sense the amount of fun you’re having while writing these from here

I know that Kohaku and Fred are just side characters as they are not modelled after any users, but it’s still nice to see actual people inhabiting this story, apart from the main cast. I think that allowing NPCs to exist in the world of this book was a great move

I’m assuming that “frame” refers to the body that Rook is controlling. And they seem to have bought it from somewhere… very interesting indeed

Again, this feels like a direct callout
I haven’t been skipping meals because of the lack of time lately I swear :dizzy_face:

It’s so wholesome how much they all seem to care for each other. It’s a breath of fresh air after the Bo_ series where everyone were at each other’s throats all the time

So Tone’s sound abilities also extend to talking directly inside people’s ears

I’m really enjoying the vibes of this story so far. The main guys go to school, have jobs, go to events together… it all feels so lively. The all have actual lives and don’t simply exist in this story bubble devoid of realistic story elements, like certain other books on the boards

It’s a poor writing choice I’d say. It’s actually Fred speaking

You’re only realising this now? I’ve had this figured out since chapter one where his hair and the ability to feel pain were mentioned and chapter two where he ferociously devoured ramen

Safesearch is for the weak :dizzy_face:

I might have to actually look into these names when I get the chance

It’s also the place where all of Ghid’s favourite video games come from. I’d say that it’s a win-win situation for the both of us :goo:

You’re really making a lot of good points. I don’t even have anything to add.

Kudos to you for making my job easier :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Ch 3

Chapter Four
Fireworks

“That’s not the only reason we’re here.”

Race’s eyes slowly looked about the parking lot, her head refusing to move, her face remaining thoroughly uninterested. “Sell drugs?”

“Wh- No.” Wild pressed his fingers against the bridge of his nose. “Race, you really take all the fun out of these big reveals, you know?”

“Oh, so you got married?” She continued, just as unenthused-sounding. “Well congratulations, most people don’t have that kind of bravery in modern society, but I hope you and your minivan have a happy life together.”

Tone finally broke out into high-pitched squeals of laughter, earning him a shove from Ren. Rook looked about awkwardly, trying not to act like this was all about him, despite quivering with excitement at his suspicions behind the announcement.

“If it’s finally out of your system,” Wild sighed, having waited for Tone’s outburst to die down into barely-concealed snickering. “Rook, you’ve had enough time in the mask for us to know what your limits are, and we’ve unanimously reached our decision.”

“And?” Rook shivered.

“Welcome to the Renegade Masks, kid.” Wild held out an origami mask.

Before Rook could rejoice at the prospect, Wild continued. “It’s with good timing, too. I’ve heard rumors that tonight is the ceremony to invite the Demon across the plane. They’ve acquired his eyes.”

No.” Tone growled. “If they’re able to complete that, then…”

“It’s all poppycock, anyhow.” Wild mused, feeling about his numerous pockets. “Why am I the only one here who wears a suit. Ah, there we are. They intend to perform the ritual here, in the convention center across from the cinema.” He unfolded a map, and pointed at the designated location with his pinkie.

“As for their claims, complete and utter nonsense. There’s no actual Demon in existence, like they claim, but ruining their precious little ceremony will cut their egos down a lot, and remind them that no one here is invincible. Are we all in agreement?”

Each member pulled out their respective masks. Tone’s was unique among the group, being made of various layers of metal, reportedly formed from a broken katana, with angular, slit eyes. Race’s didn’t cover her eyes, instead stopping just above her nose and wrapping around her jaw, looking almost motorized despite being made of wood. Rook’s was silvery, with five points fanning out from the center, like a peacock’s tail. Ren’s was also silvery, though more muted, and while resembling a wolf’s head and snout left his mouth and jaw completely exposed.

Smiling, the leader of the Renegade Masks took out his own - shaped after a viciously scowling Oni. “Alright, Renegades… Let’s light it up!

The burly enforcer easily towered over the other security personnel stationed at the convention center, glancing about casually. He was so bulky and muscular he had little to fear from typical threats, such as usually pestered him. Which is why the ringing that suddenly entered his ears was able to disorient him so - Tone walked in through the front door with his hands in his hoodie pocket, casually glancing at the reeling guard with as smug an expression under his mask as could be managed.

“Hey! This is a reserved engagement!” The other guards sounded, converging on Tone’s location. “Wait- MASK!! Down on your stomach, hands behind your head!! NOW!!!”

Tone obliged, lying down on his stomach, placing his hands behind his head just as a security van flew through the glass front of the building and decked every member of security present, including the large fellow. “Boss, I’m not sure this is entirely in line with your ‘no-kill’ rule. You sure everybody’s okay from that?”

Wild, not the most bulky fellow, stepped through the open hole, steam rippling off his excellent suit. “Get off the floor, Tone.” He growled. “This party’s only just getting started.”

Those of the security detail who had not been clotheslined by the massive flying vehicle raised their weapons and made very silly demands, like stand down and surrender and whatnot. Race replied by walking casually back to the Renegade Masks with her arms full of their firearms, and Ren lowered himself to the ground, bat in hand.

“Go for the guards.” Wild growled, the veins in his hands nearly popping out of his skin. “I’m gonna get the Demon mask. Tone, you’re with me.”

Darting forwards, Ren began flipping over the guards, buckling knees and bruising elbows as Race occasionally assisted as casually as possible. Tone ran forwards, but for all his muscular might, he could not keep up with the Oni, who leaped the entire stairwell in one jump.

And I get the stupid noise mask.” Tone grumbled, running up the stairs as fast as he could. Rook, however, while comparatively smaller than most of his colleagues, simply floated directly upwards, and then directly forwards, bypassing all the combat and the physical exertion of climbing stairs.

“Game’s over, Rikuto!” Wild roared, the strength of the Oni crackling through his limbs. “Hand over the eyes, now! Or else we’ll be taking them from your battered body.”

Rikuto, who wore a rather elaborate ceremonial uniform, turned around, holding two small resin eyes in his hands, a wicked grin plastered across his aging features. “Ahh, Wild, so eager to keep the glory for yourself, then? Fine - have the full power of the Demon’s eyes!”

So saying, he clicked the two eyes together, causing a massive shockwave which threw Tone and the barely-landed Rook off the platform. “The Demon has not chosen you!!” The old man bellowed. “You cannot wield the eyes without his consent! Begone, you treacherous one, before I erase you from existence!!”

The Treacherous one responded by lunging forwards, ripping the eyes out from Rikuto’s fingers. Instantly they pulsed, vibrating with an agonizing energy, which would have crumpled the senses of anyone holding them. But the strength of the Oni mask powered through, even as the pulses grew so strong they caused Rikuto to faint from the force of them.

“Boss!” Tone yelled, his cry grabbing enough of Ren’s attention to draw him from the fight. Tone bolted back up the stairs, motioning with his hand for an ascending Rook to stay put.

“Boss, what’s happening?” Tone bellowed, but Wild was too absorbed to hear him. “There’s so much power, Tone… But I can handle it… I WILL!! NOTHING CAN OVERCOME THE ONI!!!

With a furious roar, Wild’s entire body glowed a bright white for a moment.

Ren shook his head, trying to recall how he ended up on the sidewalk. The flaming building in front of him was a clear enough answer, illuminating the vague silhouettes of his friends. Tone’s body was still being licked by flame, prompting Ren to scramble awkwardly to his feet and rush to his friend’s side.

“IT WON’T COME OFF!!” Tone screamed, pulling violently at the metal mask, now fused to his face from the heat. “IT WON’T COME OFF!! I CAN’T GET IT OFF!!”

Ren smothered the fire as best he could, hoping Tone’s smoldering clothes hadn’t melted into his skin at all. Race made a bubbling noise, drawing his attention once more - she was lying on her back, her stomach a pit of twisted blacks and reds, seeping into her shirt.

Tried… To outrun the blasts, inside…” She gasped. “I couldn’t… my body… couldn’t go that… fast…

Ren could only stare down in horror, slowly removing her mask and his own as the sounds of sirens approached. “It’s okay, Race. We’ll be okay. Everything’s gonna be alright, you got that? Just stay with me. Just stay…”

Ren!” It seemed he could stay by no one’s side for very long, as yet another voice cried for help. Ren silently approached the silver mask of Rook lying on the ground, jumping suddenly as it began to speak. “Ren! Oh, there you are. Look, I- something happened, and I can’t feel my legs anymore. Is my spine okay? Is Wild alright? What’s going on, Ren?”

“Ren?” Rook’s voice grew grave as Ren picked him up, slowly looking at the door of the building, where a wooden mask was flaming. The police and medical responders who arrived tried to get information out of him, but he ignored them all, simply staring into the building, into the lifeless eyes of the Oni mask, which sat in the middle of the ruin, slowly reducing itself to ash.

Ch 5

6 Likes

Okay now that the obvious joke has been made this was a very nice chapter, pacing worked, fight sequences were all around good, and there’s some fantastic ideas on display here.

6 Likes

The average camping experience (no one thought to bring a pad for the sleeping bags and instead chose the lumpiest place to set up the tent).

3 Likes

Hey look, I appeared!

Oh
I died

Been quiet so far, but I do want to write up a proper response sometime, probably after I get my Tempest character in

Edit: oh yeah and pickles on burgers is good and normal
kraut on burgers is good too, though a bit less common, as I was telling Nota

7 Likes

oh I'm a creeeeep (nota hiffan) I'm a weirdooooo (nota hiffan)

check again :goo:

prison

ok so maybe the statue that ghid mask wants is the same sort of frame that rook has :thinking:

that might mean that it could eventually try to kill rook in order to steal the frame hmmmmm

so this makes a lot more sense
maybe race’s mask was inherited from the dead friend (possibly wild?) and that’s why they have similar powers

or maybe ghid mask doesn’t want a frame who knows

I was pretty sure that he was human since all of the other characters seemed to be but then rook became slenderman and I started having doubts

the animatronic characters here do tend to get a bit quirky at night

nota I have news for you
you were right

also yay flashback time

ok so ghid mask needs its side eyes in order to be summoned into the real world
though I do wonder where the other side of the so-called plane is; maybe some sort of BoL-like dream world?

wild is british confimed?

so tone’s mask wasn’t always fused to his face but it is now

hopefully how that happened is explained, but knowing ghid it probably won’t be

ok cool we know that it’s a wolf’s head and not an entire wolf phew

so this confirms that the masks give the users different powers and don’t all do the same thing/amplify existing powers

after the kohaku situation I’m a little scared to google this

edit: it’s fine

these names probably mean something though :P

I wonder why these eyes are so powerful; we know that ghid mask wants them, supposedly so that it can gain a physical presence in the real world

this line makes it seem like ghid mask is able to control the eyes in some way (or maybe they have a mind of their own oooOOoo)

I guess wild didn’t die by going too fast… :pensive:

also, this might have something to do with race’s glowing from chapter one, which could explain ren saying that he didn’t want her to die the same way

wild’s body glowing white and race’s body glowing orange could be connected we still don’t know why she has a metallic digestive system though

aaaaand there it is. now we know how tone got his mask stuck to his face

this explains so much

so basically, race went too fast and got her intestines smooshed around, which meant that she needed to get a cyborg stomach

that also shows why ren said “the same way as” because he wasn’t referring to wild dying he was referring to race almost dying

so somehow the blast trapped Rook inside of his mask (whose powers we still don’t know yet). I’m hoping there’s some sort of explanation for this, because otherwise it doesn’t really make much sense

aaaaand that’s another amazing chapter finished! This one was great for explaining some strange things but still leaving a lot of room for us to theorize. I really like how the mystery comes less from confusion and more you leaving small clues to pick up on (at least for me). These characters feel a lot more fleshed out than the majority of the Bo_ cast even after just a few chapters. I can’t wait to see what they get up to next :+1:

6 Likes

7 Likes

Ghod you are too fast, I haven’t even read chapter 3

3 Likes

I’ve got a lot to respond to

bruh

He's gotta be strong (its about drive its about power) and he's gotta be fast (like Race) and he's gotta be fresh from the fight

Yes :sunglasses:

Fred and Kohaku are now at your home :eye: :eye:

yes the flashback to his elite team of fishmongers

bruh this is his dayjob :dizzy_face:

wow good job

I’m not going to cross-check the names I use with every anime in existence to make sure there’s no crossover :dizzy_face: maybe notahffan can do that for me :smirk:

How do you expect me to make Notahffan interested in this if he isn’t suckered in :dizzy_face:

uh, what I mean is, I have a funny idea that has no animes and is therefore inherently better :smirk:

Why do you not? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You did read the second chapter right :imp:

ok Imma confirm and/or deny that right now no they aren’t his parents that’d be wack and cringe no

Ghid being Winger’s dad was called into question a number of times in the Bo_ story to account for that, and that was an already well-established bit before it showed up there, so if that were to happen at all it’d be in the also already established bit of N01 being your dad

relatable

If I can’t trust Cordax, who can trust? :pensive:

Cordax I’m good at this business :smirk:

I'm beginning to feel like a Rap Ghid, Rap Ghid

No of course I like tomatoes in my hamburger

I just hate pickles in general :smirk:

And why would I ever trust Google? :dizzy_face:

Wail til Nota hears about how tall he was when he was younger

And you’re the one drawing the inference :dizzy_face:

Glad to know that’s why you’re complementing it :smirk:

I can’t look at Bird he’s stuck in a closet

Is he scared of women because he’s single or is he single because he’s scared of women?

alright Oisli calm down

Hello everybody it's me Markiplier

Depends on where. But yeah the difference between renting an apartment and renting an entire home is actually fairly minimal in most places

That’s because they are. I visited an Indian burial ground and have trapped their souls in my fingertips so they actually sound real when I type

Nota I hate to spoil this for you but Cordax is actually a human typing at a computer

That’s what Japan is, yes :pensive:

wait you haven’t read chapter 3 yet

No one cared who I was until the mask put on me

Wait’ll Nota learns about forks :smirk:

Sorry I should’ve said gnashy chompy crunching munchy munchers

What

Chapter four when it

I can neither ceny or donfirm aggelations thadnm,t abnajkdbasf sr fhajkljkc jsrefbs,sbe fsjh j

:eye: :eye:

No wait uh I mean it’s supposed to get boring wait no

I cannot confirm or deny…

:smirk:

Couldn’t be me :pensive:

Don’t get used to it :smirk:

no the fish is named ryuko and he has a wife and kids

:dizzy_face:

whoops they all get teleported to finland woowzers how did that happen

I don't belong here (yes I do)

You goober he’s using the French version :triumph:

Ohr ohr ohr ohr ohr ohr ohr ohr ohr ohr

he keeps doing that :dizzy_face:

hope he gets better :pensive:

wow ok :disappointed:

:dizzy_face:

they’re Ghid’s eyes; what other reason do you need :smirk:

welcome to the bait and switch :sunglasses:

Cordax it’s a Ghid story it’ll never make sense

ohhhhh how I want to destroy a laptop

I think this’ll be just about the last time I respond in spoiler form; my fingers hurt from typing in all the details panels over and over :disappointed:

me after holding the taco bell in

7 Likes

Made some low quality artist’s renditions based on the descriptions of a few characters in ms paint chrome canvas

6 Likes