Things You Dislike About the Channel

Not enough praise for the lQrd of internets.

1 Like

What about On eBay Today and Biocraft?! Also, what happened to that Anakin guy?

6 Likes

You guys might want to take an aspirin this might hurt a little/a lot.

I’ve got a few stark criticisms about the channel, the main one which is actually posted in the video about the mystery box. I think the one big issue you guys need to get cleared up and start doing better is don’t hit the record button so early. I think before what gets recorded you should make sure everyone’s on the same page and up to date on the information. And if you start recording either fill in who ever’s late or set a rule that they can’t just jump in midway. When you guys are talking about news or discussing recent news it really derails the flow of things and makes it seem really unprofessional.
Work on your presentations. You put a lot of effort into it with graphics intros and everything else only to have a bunch of chaotic crap in the meat of the video. I know you guys are in calls a lot so you’re really just sitting there talking to each other like normal, but I think regular in call sessions and what goes into your videos should have a different structure to it. I think you should keep things tighter and more concise, especially with news. I’ve got a lot of respect for what you’re trying to do, but button up all the BS.

Also, I noticed a lot of “more content, more this, more that” comments as I read my way down to the bottom. A schedule would do wonders for your channel. If you’re really a podcast then F-ing act like it. Most professional Podcasts have schedules. They’re on every week at such and such time. Between all of you there’s no reason or no way you can’t make the schedule, not unless there’s a very good reason for it. Even if its just one of you, and not Meso you could make the regularly scheduled podcast. Meso mentioned in an email you guys have a huge backlog of guests you’d like to interview, get cracking then. As for the videos like Autopsy and Eljay’s reviews, set a quota one a month, no exceptions unless like I said, for a very good reason(such is major events or situations beyond the person’s control).

Here’s another section where I really tear into things. I’m sorry to have to target one person specifically, but I need to say something about Eljay’s reviews, quite frankly, they suck. He nitpicks WAAAAAY too much about every little thing and for the most part when he’s listing cons he’s listing things that are standards and have been for a while, and also fails to take into account that some things are simply personal preference. I should preface this by saying that in any review of anything it does come down to persona opinion and preferences. That should be understood going into watching or reading a review. However, the major gripe I have with the reviews I’ve seen so far is that there’s not really any attempt to provide objective reasoning behind why things are pros or cons.

Now I say all these things with some experience and room to talk. Last year I took to reviewing all of the Hero Factory sets since I got them all. This was something I had planned to continue doing but alas, money has been really tight for me this year. But I’d like you guys reading to take a look at some of them. I have an directory journal to all the reviews I did in the order of when I got the sets. I was also allowed to do reviews of two of the Legends of Chima Legend Beasts on The Brick Fan. Lion, Gorilla. This is what I’m talking about. I don’t just make a claim about stuff like this without any basis behind it. I put some proof, some reasoning into why I say what I do and I also do that in my reviews as well. So my critique on Eljay’s reviews would be to try and make them as objective as possible. Make a claim, and then support it with fact, not just call something a con or a pro because what ever. And blue pins are just going to be there. Lego isn’t going to change that probably ever. I would think that by 2005’s reviews and you doing reviews posthumously, you’d understand that fact and stop even mentioning it in each video.
Ultimately you’re writing or filming a review to dissuade or persuade the viewer into buying into what ever you’re reviewing or whether they should pass on it. Keep the viewer in mind, whether they have much money or not and again since these are posthumous reviews, you should talk about what the going rate of the set is and whether or not its worth the money. Fortunately with current sets like I did, I could just use the MSRP and factor that into the equation.

I guess the underlying theme in all of my criticism is lack of professionalism and presentation. If you guys are going to run a youtube channel and take it upon yourself to report about news, if you’re going to have guests and contests and what not. Then do it right, and do it well or don’t do it at all. Let BZP(bleh) continue to do all that stuff. While it is ran by Nazis and a filthy corrupt site, they at least have the professionalism and presentation thing going for them. And I’d really like to see TTV and these forums take over as the go-to spot for all bionicle fans and MOCers. In the end I’d like to see TTV be the bionicle community equivalent to Facebook, and BZP the equivalent to Myspace(considering what BZP used to be I’d say that’s already partly the case). I especially say these things now that you’ve got these message boards up. You’re playing the game like you want to be professionals and be taken seriously, so act like it in your videos.

I know I’m being harsh, but I say these things with the best of intentions. I hope you guys understand that.

This isn’t about the channel but I have an issue I’d like to bring up with the Mods and you guys about the boards here, and I don’t know where else to bring this up. I’ve gotten some of my posts edited for multiple postings, but all I’m doing is replying to more than one post in the thread. Would it be possible to have a multiple reply option? That’d really help with the whole double/multiple posting thing. I want to reply to each actual post and it be trackable but that means multiple posting if wanting to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.

5 Likes

You all need to make more videos, more often. You should make it so that one thing comes on Monday, one on Tuesday, and so on. When I’m bored I just refresh the TTV channel until a new video comes up…

On Ebay Today needs to return.

Where is MNOGII with Meso.

youguystaketoolongtoshipmakutafestprizeimo

Eljay keeps calling blue pins a con…

Great Channel though…

3 Likes

cough cough yeah #BeingShotDownSinceItsNotCanonIDontCare suggested that game too cough cough

I vaguely remember a few months back Eljay mentioning a new series in which he would cover little known facts about the BIONICLE universe. I was pretty pumped for that, and was wondering what happened to that :frowning: (That’s like all I got you guys are pretty great)

5 Likes

I am pretty sure you hit all the real problems I also have with the channel.

The only thing I slightly disagree with is the unprofessionalism and the non tightness of news. While it makes it hard to just get news out of them without the 15 minutes of derailed discussion, it kind of makes them more human and relatable.

2 Likes

I dislike Eljay.

Jk, I would enjoy a continuation of on Ebay Today, but Ven’s busy doing sprites for On air, so I think it’s a fair trade =3.

1 Like

I like that aspect to but it does make getting the news and information drag on. Sometimes their videos are a lot longer than I think they really need to be. The other thing is they could hold off on these discussions and that be what is discussed in the weekly podcast, and who knows some of the information can be confirmed, reenforced, or debunked by then.They do a bit of sensationalist media posting. The second there’s news they’re making a video about it. What was it that I heard someone call them, Something like “a bunch of basement dwellers sensationalizing every rumor.” Something like that from someone in PO or BZP or one of the rival groups. * shrugs *

Team up with Vinny from Vinesauce and do some nice Bionicle Game Corruptions. Then you are set.

JK, what you probably need to do is upload more content. Sometimes that can be tough, I understand that, but it might be easier as you get more TTV members. (In short, MORE CASTING CALLS :wink:)

2 Likes

Some MNOG corruptions would actually be really cool.

2 Likes

To be quite honest, there’s not much I dislike about TTV. What I do dislike, though, I feel very strongly about. Mostly, I wish things were more…consistent. Some days, we’ll get two to three videos, other times, we’ll go five days to a week without a peep. I’d like to see more series more consistently, too. We got two episodes of Kahi’s Nostalgia play, and never heard about it again, although that may have just been Kahi being too busy to make it. We got two or three episodes of the revived Bionicle Autopsy, but it hasn’t continued, although that one I can understand takes quite some time to make, and Var has probably just been busy. Recap Reviews is really the only series that is consistently out on a specific time of week.

I have three more things. They’re all about the podcast, though. I personally love the off topic discussions, the derailment, even the occasion episode filled with nothing but insane laughter. What is the issue then? I’d kinda like a schedule for not the podcast, which for the most part is consistent, but for allowing guest hosts (which by the way, Chris A.K.A Phantom Terror is my opponent for round two of the 2014 Biocup :D). Maybe one week without a guest, then a week with would be better than the random format right now. Within, the podcast, I’d also like to have segments other than news, such as Talk To Ven, and possibly, with the addition of the MOCs section of the forums, a fan creation spotlight. The final issue, queue the facepalms, is Casting Calls. Yes, I know, of all people, I should be the one to avoid this topic after my mess up in remembering to mention I was joking when I pretended to be upset about the age limit. But, I wish we had a solid schedule for those. Be it twice a year, once a year, or whatever the cast agreed on, I wish they were predictable.

Past that, all I have is praise for the channel, and that doesn’t belong on this topic.

4 Likes

We already tried that last summer, and our channel page reflected that attempt for quite a while. Mondays were Newscasts, Tuesday was Recap, Wednesday as Autopsy, Thursday was eBay, Friday was Analysis and Saturday was the podcast. I think that only was properly executed for one week. We don’t have the time or the willpower to do that, the channel isn’t what we live for in life. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

The casting calls aren’t a regular thing. We don’t do casting calls just because we want a flood of new people- we do casting calls because we’re replacing people who are leaving. It’s literally impossible to know who’s going to quit, who’s going to be busy, and who’s going to be a problem and has to be removed. Our channel isn’t just an all you can eat buffet that everyone’s allowed to hop in on, we only bring in people when we need them.

Which is why our guidelines are so restrictive. We’re only bringing in specific people for specific reason to fill the shoes of someone else on the channel. The casting calls aren’t bloated guest host opportunities, you’re literally joining us. The moment you send in an application is the moment you stop being a fan who watches are content and instead are an integral part of the channel who produces videos for it.

We also aren’t looking to cycle through people. We’re hiring people to stay. Meaning we aren’t planning on having another casting call so long as they’re here, so basically, we hope to never have another casting call unless we have to.
But in the chance that we do, you’re welcome to send in an application :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

For the recap reviews, a lot of people seem to mention that a handful of the cons are trivial. What if the cons were separated into a con and a knit pick sections?

Imagine if they all did the Robot for all their animations, like those guys in Le-Koro xD

1 Like

I probably should have mentioned that some of that stuff could probably only be fixed in a perfect world. I understand that you don’t want this crazy overload of people. Episodes would run too long, people wouldn’t want to watch them, and views go down. In the last casting call, you wanted people who could you could not only hold a intellectual conversation with on the podcast, but also behind the scenes, as well as someone you could trust. Thus, the age limit comes into play. And as for predictions…yeah. Unless someone here has a TARDIS, we won’t know when people are going to need to be replaced until it happens.

Wow. This is my second mess up on this topic. I need to be more careful.

2 Likes

You’re fine :stuck_out_tongue: I just needed to make that clear for everyone.

I’d like to thank everyone for the critiques! Everything’s been well written and very helpful so far!

5 Likes

Few things;
Schedules;
While it may not be possible a timeline or schedule would be appreciated in order for fans to know when the new video will be up. While this may not be possible with everything having something scheduled would help keep people returning to the channel and also help advertise the channel to those already following. Sometimes the ‘youtube sharing’ system does not work and new videos are not shown to subscribers, having a schedule would help this.

Media;
I’m not sure if you currently have a Facebook or Twitter page and with the message board I doubt the necessity, however having multiple places where people can follow you and learn of your videos would help greatly.

Regular content;
Have one set video that goes up weekly, whether its a current video that will now occur weekly or whether its a random video that pops-up once a week it would help to have something secure to keep the channel active. I understand MakutaFest2014 has probably tired everyone out and the work on multiple other projects is likely also very taxing, however given the lack of a schedule having a few regular videos would be appreciated.

Gaming;
I know gaming is a rare thing with TTV, however MNOG2 awaits and I know that it would be a good way for the TTV crew to wind down and relax while providing some entertaining commentary.

Community focusing;
While I do see TTV members chatting in the comments, having fan-focused videos would also help. I know that lots of places turn to this eventually however selecting a random creation from the TTV Message boards would definitely be a welcome insensitive for fans to use the boards and be creative.

Think that’s everything, more suggestions of improvement than issues with the channel :3

2 Likes

i also have a problem with them liking MArval and DC comics why can’t they only like bonkles

5 Likes