To Everyone Who Says they Don't want a G3

Because of course, the guy running the LEGO twitter has access to the sales figures. They probably said that so they would not lose the interest and hope of the fanbase. once you say that something bombed horrifically you have pretty much proclaimed it dead.

And yes, BIONICLE fans bought BIONICLE sets, but you are using a few people in the community for “evidence” rather then the children who bought the sets.

2 Likes

yes.

it’s not evidence-

it’s damage control.

7 Likes

Yep

They didn’t trust HF either because reteailers started to stop bying them, target only got the Larger IFB.

When G2 came along there were virtually no HF sets left, the stores got rid of them.

It’s more evidence than the opposing side, Lego never said it sold bad.

Because we can’t gauge if children bought them because children do not post when they buy them.

Just like the clearance of every Lego theme that get’s cancelled, especially constraction themes.

still waiting.

and yet the clearance images suggest otherwise.

3 Likes

LEGO also never said HF sold bad, we were told it sold “well enough” G2 was shown to have tanked in pretty much every single store. Skull Villains still populate my local TRU, and that is hardly a good thing.

Which means you can’t prove otherwise, and nor can I. more people buy sets then just the community, I know of three families of kids who bought HF sets, and one who bought G2…does this prove anything? no. because it is too small to properly make a broad claim.

Yes, they sold.

3 Likes

on the clearance topic, i had master onuas at $7 within the release of the summer wavr.

4 Likes

Because they were on clearance, or with that logic you could say the reason there are no more G2 sets left in stores is because they sold.

@Sammythekat asked for evidence so I gave the only evidence I could. But I do agree that no one can properly decide if HF or G2 sold better because Lego has not released the information. We can only make guesses with what we know, so we could keep going around and around with the debate. But I have to leave soon, so I’m just going to end my part at this.

1 Like

those three points are actually well disputed. good work there. that said, I DO NOT WANT A GEN 3.

as proven by gen 2, lego really dont quite know what to do with the bionicle license. in part thats them, in others thats our fault. the fans have never been clear on what we like about bionicle, especially 01-05. some say the toa mata, but gen 2 brought them back and it did nothing. some say the story and how mystical and intriguing it was, but gen 2 tried that and it failed. I wont say I know what it was that made gen 1 great and gen 2 just kind of eh, but I will say that I think that bionicle was a product of its time, and the magic it created will never come back. its not the early 2000’s anymore. we need to stop pretending it is, and move on.

If you ask me, Gen 3 shouldn’t happen. Bionicle will live on, for now at least, through the fans. and thats probably the best place for it. this is a community of talented, creative people. and we own bionicle. maybe not legally, but we claimed it, and now we need to make good on it.

2 Likes

I have honestly never seen a HF set on clearance, yet my TRU is filled with skull villains on clearance, now that is not a proper piece of evidence, just for being too small, but still.

I honestly feel that HF sold far better then G2, just on the merits of it lasting longer then two-ish years. So yes, we could go around for hours, but I feel that a respectful disagreement is the best way to end this debate.

Cya.

RT~

2 Likes

and you gave me just words.

Pics or it didn’t happen, mate.

3 Likes

100% agreed. We each have different views on the situation so we each give our own personal experiences evidence. So a respectful disagreement is best.

2 Likes

I personally see no need for a Generation 3. I doubt it will happen due to the multiple times the toyline has failed (especially given the fact that Lego a s company is currently shifting focuses to more profitable licenses due to their inability to meet current demand of more popular themes such as Star Wars). Given the lack of care given by corporate Lego during G2, and given the current supply problems faced by the company, it is unlikely that Lego thinks it will be profitable, as well as worth setting aside production. I can go into stores and find Bionicle toys from 2015, but new System has been wiped off the shelf. What this tells me is that system is more demanded and wanted than Bionicle, and as such Lego would not have reason to bring it back.

G3 would be interesting, but I don’t see why it’s necessary. I don’t see why we’re obsessed with Bionicle lasting forever, with the fact that it should never die. Every toyline has it’s day, and Bionicle lasted a lot longer than most toylines. We should appreciate the fact that it wasn’t wiped out in 3 years like most Lego themes, rather than freak out when it ends. It had a good run, and it doesn’t need to be brought back every time it’s ended.

5 Likes

Gen 3 is probably not going to go because Gen 2 flopped so hard in stores.

this is how we got into the dissection of G2’s flopping.

Another common theme I’m seeing here is that G2 sold poorly. My problem is that Lego explicitly said it didn’t.

Essentially, believing that G2 sold poorly amounts to believing Lego lied.

If you believe Lego lied, then you can’t use what they say as evidence for anything without verifying it, and that is a slippery slope to descend.

Maybe we need another topic to decide whether Lego is a reliable source, but unless someone can conclusively prove Lego lied (preferably about something else) I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. The discussion is more interesting anyway if we assume they cancelled a line that was selling well.

But if you have proof that Lego lied, I’m all ears.

2 Likes

they said that because damage control.

the ammount of sets hitting the clearance pegs before the cancellation lends to this.

1 Like

Can’t help but say that this is correct. Though personally, I feel that Lego can no longer handle their own project anymore. This is backed by bionicle’s original rushed closing and the disjointed mess that was G2. Don’t get me wrong, I freaking loved G2. But areas like story, and marketing were poorly handled. I would rather see Bionicle rip than have a potential G3 if I knew it was gonna be handled potentially worse than G2. Even still, we can’t claim that there won’t be a G3, seeing as Bionicle is the only original Lego line that the company has ever revived. So it stands to reason that they could bring it back again, but given G2’s “success? And failure?” I wouldn’t hold out hope.

1 Like

if there was a flamewar, you flag it.

you don’t play mod.

3 Likes

Hey @QuartzRoolz, don’t do my job OK? Flag stuff instead.

5 Likes

again, says the guys who likes hero factory /s

(edited due to possible inflammatory-ness)

As someone who really did enjoy G2 (mostly in the set department, they were so good, man!), I’d welcome a G3 with open arms. I just hope that LEGO would learn from their multiple mistakes, mostly with marketing and the story department.

1 Like

I hardly see how my enjoyment of one line has any effect on how much I was disappointed with another. HF is nostalgic and meaningful for me because of how it helped me and what it meant to me growing up. As I said before, I would give my arm for HF G2, BIONICLE means far less to me and G2 certainly does not help.

RT~

4 Likes