Transformers Live-Action Movies

Ok, i just analyzed the trailer, and i noticed something.
When prime goes evil, check his eye color, unlike his regular light blue, its a dark purple, possibly dark energon? Who knows…

4 Likes

The line should have been “Forgive me, fans.”

It would be cool to see Dark Energon in the movieverse. Fans have speculated that either the destroyed planet or the undersea structure seen in the trailer is Unicron, so it would only be appropriate.

2 Likes

Its probably the undersea structure, as it would fit with the giant horn in the desert.

2 Likes

Probably. I personally think that the destroyed planet is Cybertron’s husk taken over by the Creators. I can’t think of what they want with the planet and why they want to repair it (it appears to be grafting parts of itself onto Earth), though. Guess we’ll find out in June.

Also, I looked up Akiva Goldsman, the guy who wrote TLK’s story. He wrote the screenplay for the film A Beautiful Mind, which one best picture in 2001. He’s also worked on the TV show Fringe and he will be working with the Live-action continuity for the foreseeable future. I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up (he did write Batman and Robin), but it looks like the Transformers movies’ reputation of horrible, bad writing might be coming to an end.

EDIT: three other writers worked on The Last Knight: Art Marcum, Matt Halloway, and Ken Nolan. Marcum and Halloway wrote the screenplay for Iron Man. Ken Nolan is credited for writing Black Hawk Down.

3 Likes

This makes sense to me. Everyone sees the whatever-it-is going after the moon and starts screaming “IT’S UNICRON!”, but I thought Cybertron way before I thought Unicron. Mostly because it looks like Cybertron from DotM.

If it does turn out to be Unicron, I think I’ll be legitimately mad at these movies for the first time.

2 Likes

What if it’s Unicron’s spark inhabiting Cybertron’s shell? It happened (well, almost happened ) in G1. I’d much rather Movieverse Unicron be the undersea structure, though. It would be a nice reference to Transformers Prime, with Unicron being inside Earth.

1 Like

That would be ok, as long as we still get typical horned Unicron later on.

2 Likes

Yes. The horns are a must. They’re a defining part of Unicron.

3 Likes

It could also play into the whole “Cybertronians have been chilling on earth for ages” thing they seem to have going on.

Imagine in a future movie, Unicron wakes up from his slumber, transforms and busts Earth into a million pieces as he gets to his feet, killing everyone.

(It would never happen, but one can dream)

2 Likes

I’ll reword that for you.

“It would happen in a dream sequence”.

4 Likes

That’s another thing that interested me. We already know that the seven Primes visited Earth, leaving behind the Star Harvester in ROTF. Is the undersea structure another one of their machines? Or did another group of ancient cybertronians or Creators come after them and leave it behind? It will be interesting to see the explanation for this.

Also, I loved the callback to the first movie with the “without sacrifice there can be no victory” quote. That played a huge part in the 2007 movie, with the Autobots sacrificing the Allspark to defeat Megatron, so I wonder what they’ll have to sacrifice this time to beat the Creators.

2 Likes

YES. This proves that the new writers room really cares and is trying to make the franchise cohesive.

Or it’s Unicron. If not, then my guess it’ll have something to do something with the Cybertronians that existed in King Arthur’s times. It seems to me that Earth is the greatest coincidence in the history of the universe, since there’s all this Cybertronian stuff there.

First, the Creators kill the dinosaurs and make the Transformers (most likely with the help of the All Spark). The original seven Primes kick the creators off Cybertron and become their rulers, claiming the All Spark. However, they soon have to disperse across the universe to find new sources of energon since the All Spark is pretty dandy at creating life, but not sustaining a planet. The Fallen turns evil on Earth, yada yada yada. Somewhere along the line, Sentinel Prime is created, followed by Optimus Prime and Megatron Prime.

Megatron turns evil thanks to The Fallen, and Optimus creates the Autobots, turning command over to Sentinel. The war goes on, and Megatron decides that a great way to defeat the Autobots is to trick Sentinel into leaving. Megatron makes a ‘deal’ with Sentinel, but shoots down the Ark as it’s leaving, getting rid of the Autobot leader. Optimus takes over, and the war goes on, until Optimus decides to launch the All Spark into space. Megatron follows and crash lands on Earth, and becomes frozen in ice. He’s found in the 1800s by Captain Witwicky as the All Spark is discovered in Nevada around the same time.

In the 1960s, the Ark finishes it’s journey through space and coincidentally lands on the moon. Apollo missions happen. Somehow the Decepticons manage to find their way there before hand and find all the pillars on the Ark, looting them and hiding them all over Earth for… some reason. Contingency plan maybe. Soundwave is chief among them, and begins using humans as henchmen. At some other point, some of the Decepticon’s heaviest hitters (Starscream, Blackout, Brawl, and Barricade) find their way to Earth. They begin searching for Megatron and the All Spark, because The Fallen told them to from Jupiter. At some other point Bumblebee arrives and manages to track down Sam Witwicky, decedent of the Captain that found Megatron. The first movie happens, and we’re off to the races from there.

After the All Spark is destroyed and Megatron is killed, Starscream flees back to Jupiter and The Fallen to help raise their army, even though there’s already A LOT of Decepticons there on Earth. Well, Starscream is an idiot. The Fallen tells the Decepticons to raise Megatron from the dead, so they do, and ROTF happens. Megatron needs an idea on what to do next, and realizes that Sentinel is on the moon, and decides to make good on his plan for he and Sentinel to enslave a populated planet to rebuild Cybertron. Earth seems like a pretty good contender, so the Decepticons start manipulating the Autobots, and DOTM happens.

The Battle of Chicago becomes a new Pearl Harbor or 9/11, and N.E.S.T. being shut down stays in effect. The Autobots go into hiding as they find out that Cemetery Wind is hunting them. The Creators hire Lockdown for some reason, and he starts collecting the Knights… Temmenous? Temenous? Space Knights Templar. There. Then AoE happens, and somehow all the Transformers know that the metal that created them came from Earth, among other places, even though they never mentioned it before. And that brings us to TLK.

And then there’s Jetfire coming to Earth at some point, and whatever the heck the underwater thing is that probably associated with the three-headed dragon. I will say, I don’t envy that writers room, because this is all very coincidental and contrived in places.

4 Likes

That’s the way it is with a lot of other continuities. Take Aligned, for example. Earth happens to be the resting place of Unicron and where all the Iacon relics were hidden, among other things. It’s a franchise about talking, shape-shifting robots brought to life by a giant building block, I think we can allow some cosmic coincidences like that.

Not only more cohesive, but also more story-driven. While all the trailers for the other 4 movies have just been nonstop action, this one takes a good minute or so to set up the plot of the Last Knight, as well as raise some questions for the audience. I enjoy the series as a collection of fun action movies, but I’ll enjoy them even more now that they’re going to have some deeper story.

Also, it looks like TLK’s trying to tap into the nostalgia that people have for the first movie and ROTF (TF2 is my least favorite, but I don’t hate it). Bumblebee’s new robot mode looks almost exactly like his old (just with some 2016 camaro kibble), and they made a point of announcing Barricade’s return. Many artists who worked on the first two movies have been hired for TF5 (TFWiki’s reporters say that Onslaught’s robot mode is “from the ROTF-era of design”), and I hope that Steve Jablonsky’s announcement of a remake of the track “Prime” means that the score for TF5 takes inspiration from the first two films. That and the “no sacrifice, no victory” callback. It’s fitting since 2017 will be Bayformer’s 10-year anniversary.

1 Like

Ha, very true.

That man can do no wrong. His scores for the TF films are part of what helped get me into movie scores. I was always a fan of the Star Wars music (who isn’t?) but Transformers was the first time I walked away from a film with the score stuck in my head for days afterword. The ‘Autobots’ and ‘Decepticons’ tracks really helped set the atmosphere for that first movie. Its part of what sold the idea that ‘THIS COULD BE REAL’ to me, when I had always passed Transformers off as ‘meh’. although all I had seen was stuff from the Unicron trilogy

Whenever I rewatch TF1 I always get goosebumps when Maggie is talking with the Sec Def heads in D.C. about ‘a living computer organism’ and the Decepticons theme is just playing malevolently in the background. Sooooo goooood.

Very much so, yes.

2 Likes

YES! Most of the movie’s most iconic moments are due in part to his amazing scores. Imagine how lifeless the Autobot’s “departure” would have been in DOTM without “There is No Plan”. And I love how the track “Tomb of the Primes” begins to pick up as Sam approaches the Matrix in ROTF, as if the score is reflecting his excitement. Speaking of Jablonsky’s work on ROTF, one of my favorite tracks of his is “Matrix of Leadership”, when Sam meets the Primes. That scene blew my little-kid mind when I first saw it, and it still gives me goosebumps today. His score for the scene is very ethereal, fitting since Sam pretty much died and went to Transformer-heaven. And then part of “Arrival to Earth” plays when Optimus gets revived… :ok_hand:.

His score for the action scenes are just as fantastic. Perhaps the Forest Battle wouldn’t be widely regarded as one of the best fights in the series if it weren’t for the bombastic version of the Autobot theme playing throughout.

3 Likes

The Transformer movie scores are some of the best music I have ever listened to. My interests in the medium wane and change with the weather, but Steve Jablonsky has created the most timeless and epic music I have ever listed to (A close contender would be the Gundam unicorn soundtrack, but Transformers has much more. The only one even comparable would be Halo…)

Honor to the end, arrival to earth, there is no plan, Dinobot charge…some of my favorite pieces.

2 Likes

I usually determine if I like an action movie or not based on if I ever want to jump up out of my seat and scream ‘YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH!’, and besides the 1st (which I was like basically the whole time) I have fond memories of watching each film for the first time and having that feeling.

ROTF: Forrest Battle and Jetfire vs. Mixmaster vs. Scorpanok. I don’t have much more to say about the Forrest fight that hasn’t been said before. It’s just amazing. When Jetfire just shows up out of the blue and saves the day is fantastic, even if Scorpanok was unceremoniously killed off.

DOTM: Massacre on Wacker Drive. When Sam yells ‘OPTIMUS!’ and Prime comes in with his jetpack and does that big turn around shot where he slaughters all those Decepticons is fantastic, even if Shockwave was unceremoniously killed off.

AoE: Dinobot Charge. That slow build of the music, Drift’s ‘That’s Optimus Prime’, and Hound’s one-liners built in with all the signature Bayhem was glorious. Then the final realization that Hound’s ‘cigar’ was actually a bullet the whole time was fantastic, even if Stinger was unceremoniously killed off.

Hmm… I think I’m recognizing a certain pattern here…

Jablonsky also does well with emotional scenes. “There Is No Plan” is a great one as you mentioned. The sad version of the heroic and glorious “Arrival to Earth” theme was just so sad to watch, and Shia’s acting was actually pretty top notch in that scene I felt.

The absolute chaos that followed Optimus’ death in ROTF was scored perfectly. The military didn’t know what to do, Sam was on the run, and Decepticons were falling out of the sky blowing stuff up. That piece really made you feel helpless.

“No Prisoners, Only Trophies” is also great. For a moment it looked like Bumblebee might bite the big one. Thanks Wheelie and Brains! Our… heroes, I guess.

“Tessa” from AoE is also just dripping with emotion. Kind of that, I’m not sure how we’re going to move forward, but we’re going to anyway vibe is great. Perfect for the dysfunctional family that eventually mends and grows closer together. Am I the only one that thinks Nicola Peltz’s acting wasn’t that bad? Sure she was annoying but I didn’t think the acting was bad

“The Fight Will Be Your Own” is just dang depressing I find. It’s very much a “Well, you guys are screwed now. have fun dying!” feel to it. I actually can’t listen to it all the way through or I do actually get depressed. :joy:

The number one most emotional moment has to be Ratchet’s death in AoE though. While he wasn’t given much character besides ‘doctor robot’, Ratchet was kind of that familiar comfort blanket that you got used to seeing no matter how bad things got. Jazz ripped in half? Well, Ironhide and Ratchet are alright at least. Ironhide dies? Well, that’s really too shocking to be sad right now, but at least Ratchet is alright. Cue Lockdown. The valiant ‘never’ Ratchet uttered as Lockdown mercilessly ripped out his spark combined with Lockdown’s theme but slowed down to be tragic was heartbreaking. I teared up in the theater.

3 Likes

(I need to actually see the movies, I have only seen the first and a ton of clips from the rest…)

But yeah, the score is amazing, first head of affairs while making a Transformers movie needs to be getting that god among men-Jablonsky onboard.

3 Likes

You have to wonder how Steve can come up with such original melodies and remake them in each movie without them getting stale. He truly gifted.

I think you might be on to something…

And people say these movies are devoid of emotion.

Whenever I hear that they’re making another movie, the first thing I do is check to see if Jablonsky will be doing the music. I honestly can’t imagine a Transformers movie without him doing the soundtrack.

3 Likes