TTV's Official Brickonicle Toa Designs [CANON][Worldbuilding][Characters]

Exactly. If anything, Tahu’s the one who’d have the two-handed sword, as a counter of sorts to Kopaka’s sword and shield in each hand. Even during G1 I often saw it that way, though you couldn’t communicate it with the toys.

He can still have a sword, bro. It’d just be a shortsword instead of a longsword.

5 Likes

Right, I can certainly see that working for Tahu, just not for Kopaka.

3 Likes

I know he can have a shortsword, but I felt that a longsword fit more with Kopaka’s cold and calculated personality, because a longsword has more weight which prevents you from attacking as fast as your opponent. You have to be precise with your attacks, and plan out every move you make, just like Kopaka.

The same logic applies to why I chose a Broadsword for Tahu. It weighs less than a Longsword, and sacrifices range for damage. As I mentioned in my weapon ideas post, Tahu is hot headed, and impulsive. He doesn’t think about the reach of his weapon, he just knows he’ll do a lot of damage if he gets close to them. He doesn’t care about precision, he’ll just hack and slash because that the way he thinks he can do the most damage.

1 Like

You do realize that (IRL) a sword doesn’t actually have to be used in two hand until its about five feet long (probably longer for a Toa). They being said I’ve heard Kahi put forwards the idea of Kopaka being able to extend his reach with icicles, so a short-sword might emphasis that.

What you are describing is not a long sword, but a full-sized zweihander.

That being said, I think your logic for Tahu makes sense, although I’d give him a long one-handed sword, because I’d imagine he’s impatient to meet his opponent, while Kopaka is more willing to sacrifice range for defense.

Personally, I’m in favor of giving Kopaka something like a rapier (with a simplified hilt to fit the theme) and round shield. I feel it fits Kopaka’s reserved, precise style much more aptly.

3 Likes

Good sir you have read my mind.

1 Like

I’ve always seen Kopaka with a rapier or a sword, as well as the round shield. It has to be round. That was my biggest complaint about 2015.

5 Likes

It just makes sense to me. It’s reserved, precise, and incorporates off-hand parries (which can easily be switched out with shield parries). Even the round shield fits with it.

1 Like

In Dungeons and Dragons, rapiers are one of the few swords to use a dexterity modifier instead of strength. This I feel is a perfect comparison of how despite having very similar equipment, Kopaka and Tahu have very different fighting styles thanks to their clashing personalities.

2 Likes

Exactly. It would contrast nicely if Tahu had the more “cut-and-thrust” sword which he is classically portrayed with.

2 Likes

Never thought about that. It actually works better than the ones I had.

Thanks.

This being said, I’m as confused about what we are going to give Lewa.

What about Kyoshi Warrior inspired fans, that could also help her glide?

2 Likes

That is an idea. I’ll have to see it on a minifig before I can comment.

Yeah, I’m not even particularly married to the idea. Mainly just tossing ideas out there to see what sticks.

1 Like

All this talk about signature weapons, and giving her an axe doesn’t immediately jump to mind? I get if it doesn’t make sense to others here, but it deserves at least a mention.

2 Likes

Yes, I do realize that. Maybe “shortsword” isn’t the best general term I could’ve used for a sword shorter than a longsword, but my point was just that - that he’d carry a shorter sword. Should’ve been clearer.

[quote=“Drfredrick, post:125, topic:35180”]
Personally, I’m in favor of giving Kopaka something like a rapier (with a simplified hilt to fit the theme)[/quote]

I don’t like it, honestly. It may fit Kopaka’s personality/skillset, but it’d stand out against the viking visual aesthetic that everybody seems to want to go for. And as a Lego element, it’d look particularly strange compared to the other Toa’s weapons unless a new mold is used.

She should keep her axe. It can look different from previous incarnations, but I think her weapon should remain some sort of axe.

Unless you want to get completely different and fit her up with a bow-type weapon. Would fit the region and people, IMO.

Viking? My understanding was Pacific Islander with a dash of everything else, but I’m not an expert by any means.

In my head, I combined this with the fan idea @TheRingBearer13 had, giving her basically just the heads of the axes. Visually the two would look pretty much identical, and serve a similar function of aiding in flight.

2 Likes

Ihu is primarily viking-inspired - or rather, that’s what I gleaned from the podcast episode discussing regions. Unless that was undone/switched up in the latest episode (which I haven’t listened to yet), I think that’s still the case. It would stand to reason Kopaka shares this inspiration.

That sounds cool, but I get sort of an Asian vibe from that…

…Is it too late for the people of Kauae to be inspired by feudal Japan? Anybody else getting awesome mental images from that? Or maybe that’s a bit too serene a setting for the Le-Matoran.

Ah. I missed that one. Explains a lot.

1 Like

The architecture would be Nordic-inspired, not necessarily the Viking-themed in general. Personally, I think the best approximation to “Viking-Kopaka” has already been done in G2.

Anyway, it actually would make more sense if there was a slight stylistic disconnect between the Toa and the Matoran of their region, as their gear does not come from the same sources.