Unofficial Fallout Topic

I mostly stick with Dogmeat.
Lone Survivor = Happy Lobster…

1 Like

ICYMI:

Still better than the launch trailer.

Also:

Have you noticed how (Since morrowind and excluding New Vegas) every Bethesda Game always ends with an island DLC? (Bloodmoon, Shivering Isles, Point Lookout, Dragonborn and now Far Harbor.)

1 Like

I think it’s probably because islands are easier landmasses to create than small slices of the mainland like the main games. Either that or bethesda has a perverted sense of what a vacation is.

My little birdy has told me there will be more DLC after Far Harbor (reportedly FH has just a bit smaller file size than Skyrim) don’t count on it though.

That’s kinda redundant, new Vegas wasn’t Bethesda.

Also are you seriously telling me that you think this is all the dlc we’re getting?

1 Like

Hopefully not.

I think there’s going to be a second wave of DLC.

C’mon beths’ y’know we all want to see what happened in D.C. after 10 years.

1 Like

What if the Children of Atom aren’t wrong? What if there is some sort of driving force behind radiation the Fallout Universe?

In the Dunwich Borers, the pre-war cultists of some kind all ended up becoming Ghouls from radiation, and the player gets weird flashbacks. In Point Lookout, there’s a legit cursed book and ancient deity that goes back even before the war that the cultists there worship. In Far Harbor, it seems like the creatures are spawned from the fog itself, and that the fog has its own will (all of this refers to some sort of Lovecraftian lore for inspiration).

I know there are some Fallout fans that want the series to be super serious and grounded, but it’s never been like that, and they need to accept that. We’ve had people somehow develop psychic powers, and there are even a few ghosts (and this is as far back as Fallout 2, meaning it isn’t all just Bethesda). I personally like the take that perhaps through all of mankind’s obsession to understand the universe in the Fallout Universe, and their need to use that knowledge to dispel their fear of things that are outside the boundaries of life’s binary patterns, that they end up being in denial of anything outside of the rational.

Honestly, I’d like some pre-war journal entries to survive in good condition and read something like this:

“Perhaps mankind’s greatest flaw is its binary look at life. The need to categorize and dissect. For the longest time, humans have spent their lives dissecting the universe and using that knowledge to boost their confidence, for they fear a world that isn’t binary. They forget though, that they are merely a product if a binary lifestyle. Day to night. Birth to death. They only see the rational, because that’s all their feeble minds can handle, less they go mad from the prospect of a never-ending current. They’re wrong though. They’re not the first to set foot here, and they certainly won’t be the last. The universe, time itself, it doesn’t start, it doesn’t end. It’s not binary like the atoms that make up all matter. Matter is merely the coding of everything around us, and coding can be manipulated and extorted by sources that isn’t held down by it. What humans fear most isn’t inherently the unexplainable. It’s what the unexplainable draws forth from the shadowy crevices of the universe. Holes that look into a very different plane of existence where there are powers beyond you or me. The easiest way to break a human is to put a crack in its binary processing. Perhaps one day, they’ll look into the abyss, and they’ll see the First Ones looking back”

It’s just always nice to have those things in the background, adding mystery and awe to the world, because people who don’t like it can just as easily ignore it, while those of us that want a story that doesn’t ground itself too heavily to the conventions of reality can have something nice to spice things up.

1 Like

Personally I think that they are gonna keep the “truth” veiled in secrecy faor as long as possible maybe even forever.

When you let a player make a choice and then tell them it didn’t matter they tend to resent it.

That is an interesting theory though.

I’ve been playing Far Harbor a bunch.

One of the things that really seemed cool to me was that unlike the base game the unique weapons were truly unique.

In a very early dungeon you find a fatman that shoots bowling balls. (sadly there are only 45 instances of the ammo in the game)

There is a super-sledge hotwired to a 4 pack of fusion cores that leaks radiation everywhere.

And several more that I don’t want to spoil.

1 Like

I decided my first playthrough of Far Harbor would be on Survival. Why did I do this to myself?

So far, this DLC has the same charm that the FNV DLC brought, so perhaps Bethesda has been getting a feel for the quirky parts of the Fallout Universe.

Truth be told, I never like the base game of a Fallout installment. They’re fun for a while, but always lack depth, yes, even New Vegas lacks the depth and overall feel I expect from Fallout. Things like Point Lookout, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, they’re vastly superior to the base game almost all of the time and have more love and dedication put into them. Otherwise, it’s always the same with the base game. Waring factions I could care less about, being used as everyone’s puppet, high stakes, just really boring stuff.

1 Like

Ouch, The DLC is pretty challenging so good luck.

I highly recommend investing in charisma the “best” ending is gotten by doing every side quest and making speech checks to avoid everyone killing each other.

1 Like

@Xevins I already put everything On needed into Charisma. Survival has been pretty easy because I’m an efficient guy. At the start of the game I focused on settlement building and getting supply lines and stores up, along with industrial water purifiers. I joined the Railroad for the Deliverer, and I rarely die.

Those freaking monsters though? They’re a handful. So are trappers.

1 Like

I was speaking to the DLC in specific. It’s more dynamic and less friendly than the base game.

Pshhh, what isn’t friendly is all of the support I’ll be giving the Children of Atom. Hahaha

The “peaceful” endings always seem to be the less… exciting and memorable ones. I want to see the story at its best.

Speaking if choice, Far Harbor arguably does it just as well as New Vegas did. Honestly, Far Harbor could have been released as its own game because of how much it contrasts with Fallout 4. I love how Bethesda is taking feedback from whiney fans into account.

1 Like

Lucky for you, you get most of the “cool” stuff from them.

They have the (IMHO) best unique equipment.

(Their vendors sell two pieces of Recon marine armor, (legendary versions of the best armor in the game))

1 Like

@Xevins

But is it.

NEAR-PERFECT?!

But yeah, that ‘Nuka World DLC’…

Just no, i can’t imagine it

1 Like

It’s 10 times better than the base game IMO.

2 Likes

Agreed, the dialogue options were far more interesting, Also, the wilderness and massland itself felt more intriguing than the Commonwealth.

Hell, even the Mojave felt more interesting imo.

1 Like

Don’t diss the Mojave bro.

Like theres a whole Alien city there or somethin.

/reference

In truth they do have some really cool trench coats and dusters in the mojave region.

I Wish i never heard that in FO4, it means it’s going to be canon :l

But yeah

Capital Wasteland > Mojave > Commonwealth.

1 Like

But it came from a character with possibly flawed facts. (He’s been shut up in his house a thousand miles away).

I honestly liked the Mojave best because the CW felt very maze-like when you get close to the capitol. (invisible walls didn’t help).

1 Like